cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI Formula - keyboard not detected at BIOS level

sgtboost
Level 7
Keyboard and mouse receive momentary power upon system power on and then don’t receive any further power until the OS is loaded (I see the mouse laser led blink on for a second). Keyboard and mouse do not work at the BIOS level but work when Windows is loaded. The BIOS complains the keyboard is not detected.

Things I've tried to fix this:

- Updated to latest BIOS 1401
-Changed USB ports used (more on that below) on the motherboard
-Tried various BIOS settings including : Legacy USB is enabled and XHCI Hand-off is disabled. Go to BIOS -> Advanced -> USB Configuration ->< Legacy USB support ->Enabled ) -> XHCI Hand-off -> Enabled
-I set legacy to Auto and I disabled XHCI. It made no difference.
-RMA'd the motherboard on the advice from ASUS support. New board does the same thing.

What did work:
-I have a USB ports attached to the USB 3.1 gen2 header on the motherboard. When I have keyboard attached to these ports, the keyboard is detected at BIOS boot.
-Removing all USB attached devices from the back of the motherboard with the exception of a single keyboard. Keyboard is then detected at the BIOS level.

It seems there is a BIOS level software problem here, but I'm not sure what it is and what else I need to do to convince ASUS to look at this further. Help please!

I found this post and it sounds rather similar to my problem: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?107969-Z390-E-quot-no-keyboard-detected-quot-on-boot-w-pow...
8 REPLIES 8

Ch3vr0n
Level 10
You failed to mention perhaps the most important bit of all. What keyboard & mouse you're using.

Ch3vr0n wrote:
You failed to mention perhaps the most important bit of all. What keyboard & mouse you're using.

I've tried with 2 different keyboards, one wired and one Logitech wireless. It's also important to note that all this gear worked fine with Maximus VII Formula.

Ch3vr0n
Level 10
and yet you're still not saying their models

Logitech G400S mouse

sgtboost
Level 7
Logitech Wave K350 and Dell USB keyboard

sgtboost
Level 7
I have done some more analysis and have narrowed the problem down somewhat. My keyboard and mouse are recognized at the BIOS level if I disconnect the USB 3.1 gen2 hub from the motherboard. I will get another USB hub in case this one has some unknown issue and report back

The USB hub I have attached is linked here: https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-FAB-2-Port-USB3-0-USB3-1-Connector/dp/B07T5QQZG4/ref=sr_1_1?crid=OHYN3C...

chestyspankers
Level 7
@sgtboost I have the same board and same problem. I have one microsoft wireless keyboard, one kinesis wired keyboard, and another off brand wireless. The only thing that worked on the back of the motherboard was a simple logitech wired keyboard (that I have since returned to work).

I enabled full usb initialization in bios (not fast boot) thinking that solved my problem, but it didn't. I'd prefer that my kinesis wired or any of my wireless keyboards worked, I'm now dual booting and not only can I not access the bios, but I can't change the boot OS selection in the grub menu...it's a real problem.

Did you solve this?

chestyspankers wrote:
@sgtboost I have the same board and same problem. I have one microsoft wireless keyboard, one kinesis wired keyboard, and another off brand wireless. The only thing that worked on the back of the motherboard was a simple logitech wired keyboard (that I have since returned to work).

I enabled full usb initialization in bios (not fast boot) thinking that solved my problem, but it didn't. I'd prefer that my kinesis wired or any of my wireless keyboards worked, I'm now dual booting and not only can I not access the bios, but I can't change the boot OS selection in the grub menu...it's a real problem.

Did you solve this?

Nope. They RMAd the board and the issue is the same. I've been through every BIOS rev they have and tweaked all possible settings. There is something fundamentally broken with the USB ports on this board during BIOS loading. I've found that different combinations of devices plugged in causes the issue.