cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI Formula & RGB

Ch3vr0n
Level 10
Now i've read a couple topics on here for the XI series and there seems to be a possible issue that the RGB connector (that's hidden under the IO cover?) might be somewhat loose and thus causes feignt lighting. I'll be building the system in the next couple days, and wanted to check that connector. Easier to do when nothing is built yet, than with a fully assembled system. Problem is i can't see any screws to undo, in order to check. The only 1 i can see is at the underside and seems to be holding the wi-fi connectors in place.

Am i missing anything?
30 REPLIES 30

Phillyflyer
Level 10
Ch3vr0n wrote:
Now i've read a couple topics on here for the XI series and there seems to be a possible issue that the RGB connector (that's hidden under the IO cover?) might be somewhat loose and thus causes feignt lighting. I'll be building the system in the next couple days, and wanted to check that connector. Easier to do when nothing is built yet, than with a fully assembled system. Problem is i can't see any screws to undo, in order to check. The only 1 i can see is at the underside and seems to be holding the wi-fi connectors in place.

Am i missing anything?

On the back of the board...right hand side ...there are 2-4 screws to remove the I/O shield and there are 3 screws on the PCH cover to remove ( be careful when removing these) as they can be easily stripped if the correct size screw driver is not used.
Best to test board on open bench to see if you have issues with the RGB ...
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

Ch3vr0n
Level 10
Could you do me a favor and let me know which ones they are. I snapped an image of the backside and labelled all the screws i can see. There's only 1 screw i can see that should hold the IO shield. The rest either hold the wifi on the board or the backplate.

Ch3vr0n
Level 10
Could you do me a favor and let me know which ones they are. I snapped an image of the backside and labelled all the screws i can see. There's only 1 screw i can see that should hold the IO shield. The rest either hold the wifi on the board or the backplate.

Original: https://i.imgur.com/H2G1q76.jpg

Phillyflyer
Level 10
The 2 small black screws on back ...far right top and middle ( I/O shield)...the other 3 small screws are on the front holding the PCH shield...be very careful with those.As suggested...test board out of case...you may not have to go through all the trouble....LED on I/O shield is very faint..and may look like its not on...look closely...LED on PCH shield is alot more visible when lit.
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

Zammin
Level 9
There are a few threads and reviews about the very dim lighting on the Maximus XI Formula. Mine is incredibly dim on the I/O shield and on the ROG eye. You can hardly tell it's turned on in those areas especially with colours like red. Please do keep us posted and let us know if you find a loose connector or something but it would be strange to have that occur on so many samples, given how many people are reporting the same thing. I'm pretty sure it's just really poorly/cheaply implemented lighting and very misleading advertising. I'm in talks with cl-adrian@asus about it and he is discussing it with the R&D team, but so far the only response they have given him is essentially "we misrepresented it in the advertising in order to make you think it has much better lighting than it really does" but in very corporate, less honest terms instead...

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
I Hope these can be fix. i will power mine soon, that is a Code XI. I read these also elsewhere and i am worry. i check the rampage a couple of days a go and look astonishing. as soon i get the cpu i will prepare something to share.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Itzycharles wrote:
I Hope these can be fix. i will power mine soon, that is a Code XI. I read these also elsewhere and i am worry. i check the rampage a couple of days a go and look astonishing. as soon i get the cpu i will prepare something to share.

I can't speak for the XI Code, but they try to make the XI Formula look like the Rampage 6 Extreme in their advertising but when you switch it on it looks totally different. The board's general aesthetic is similar but the lighting looks like a cheap knockoff by comparison. The mirror panels are plastic and the one on the I/O shield on my sample actually popped out when I was just peeling the protective film off of it... Feels cheap to me.. Not what I expected from a $720 AUD motherboard.

Ch3vr0n
Level 10
i double and i triple checked. I can NOT find any second "small" screw on the back of the board. The only small one is labelled "4" on the image. Nr 5 is holding in the wifi and i'm afraid if i'll unscrew that one either it'll get stuck between the board backplate or the wi-fi antennae will become lose. There's a small metal clip that seems to hold the front io-shield in just below it. All the other screws seem to be holding in the backplate. I'm not unscrewing anything until i know exactly what to look for. Images pointing at the screw will help.

SirWaWa
Level 7
is the lighting about as bright as in the video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj4U5NEWFfI
as you can see in full light, it does look barely lit

the brightness is pretty much exactly the same on my mexi, as long as the traces light up this appears to be normal (dim, conservative brightness)
the rog eye on my board is fairly bright, same with the side profile lighting, it's the traces on the i/o and pch that are dim, just like the xi formula