cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI Extreme - persistent bug(?) with Stealth mode for board lighting

mashmonster
Level 7
Ok, so I just built a new rig a couple of weeks ago now. The mainboard is a Maximus XI Extreme. So far I have had no issues with the board aside from a very annoying bug regarding the lighting on the board.

When in a soft shutdown state, the board never turns off the Aura lighting. Both the light strip on the back edge of the board and the lights on the IO area stay light. The OLED dash screen stays on too.

I can solve this problem temporarily by turning Aura lighting in shutdown states to "Stealth mode" in the UEFI BIOS. However - this change only stays for one shutdown cycle. After I turn the system back on once, the UEFI settings just revert back to what they were and the board lighting stays on during shutdown states again. This is highly annoying to me, and clearly this is a bug within the UEFI itself. Unless I'm doing something wrong. But I don't really think so - these settings should just stay maintained across multiple startups and shutdowns. At least that's what I would think.

I am also not sure how to actually control the OLED Livedash. I guess that's done through Asus AI Suite? I haven't actually downloaded that so I don't know. The mainboard manual doesn't really state this, either.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
3,873 Views
9 REPLIES 9

mashmonster
Level 7
Still haven't found a solution for this issue.

Feklar
Level 8
Use Aura to set the lighting to turn off the LEDs at shutdown. There is a tab along the top to make this selection. This should be done as well as using stealth in the bios. As for the oled, install the live dash software. There you can select turn off the oled at shutdown. Download both from Asus's site.

i9 12900k + Asus Maximus Z690 Apex + EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 ULTRA
G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6000l XMP 3.0 Desktop Memory Model F5-6000U4040E16GX2-TZ5RK+ Samsung 870 Pro SSD, EVO 1TB, EVO 2TB
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Power Supply + Fractal Meshify 2 XL case
Ek Velocity 2 CPU block, Ek GPU block
Koolance Fittings and QDC's + Mo-Ra 3 Pro 4x180 Radiator
LG 38GL950G Monitor +
Windows 10 Pro

Feklar wrote:
Use Aura to set the lighting to turn off the LEDs at shutdown. There is a tab along the top to make this selection. This should be done as well as using stealth in the bios. As for the oled, install the live dash software. There you can select turn off the oled at shutdown. Download both from Asus's site.


Doesn't work. All this does is turn off all of the mobo's LEDs even during regular usage.

Not sure if I'll still experience the BIOS reverting the settings this time, but I'm sure it will. It has done it every time beforehand.

The only time I can keep it from happening is if I put my system into a hard shutdown. But what's the point of that? Why doesn't a basic functionality of the board and the BIOS even work?

Bumping again to try and find a solution.

SirWaWa
Level 7
see page 3-19 of the manual
does that help?

BIOS
Advanced\APM Configuration
ErP Ready = Enabled (S4+S5). This will shut off all lights (even the BIOS reset light) and disable USB ports when you shut down the computer. The only thing that will wake your computer is you pressing the power switch.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?86871-Bios-Erp-S4-or-S5

pndiode wrote:
BIOS
Advanced\APM Configuration
ErP Ready = Enabled (S4+S5). This will shut off all lights (even the BIOS reset light) and disable USB ports when you shut down the computer. The only thing that will wake your computer is you pressing the power switch.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?86871-Bios-Erp-S4-or-S5


would this have the same effect as giving the board no power?
after a power failure for example, my keyboard loses it's retained RGB lighting settings (hardware memory) since it disables USB power

rjbarker
Level 11
Would be nice to be able to shut off the power and reset button lighting when shutting down the PC.....there bloody bright!!!

rjbarker wrote:
Would be nice to be able to shut off the power and reset button lighting when shutting down the PC.....there bloody bright!!!


You can. That's how I have mine configured.

i9 12900k + Asus Maximus Z690 Apex + EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 ULTRA
G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6000l XMP 3.0 Desktop Memory Model F5-6000U4040E16GX2-TZ5RK+ Samsung 870 Pro SSD, EVO 1TB, EVO 2TB
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Power Supply + Fractal Meshify 2 XL case
Ek Velocity 2 CPU block, Ek GPU block
Koolance Fittings and QDC's + Mo-Ra 3 Pro 4x180 Radiator
LG 38GL950G Monitor +
Windows 10 Pro