ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
Corsair AX1600i PCU
Samsung 970 Pro 1tb NVNe
Corsair 16GB 3466 MHz
thermaltake floe riing 360 AIO water cooler
Rractal Design define R6 case.
Razer lanchaed nouse
Razer tournament x keyboard

My first regret was getting the thermaltake floe riing 369 AIO [especial wired]. The instructions are not clear on what goes where because thermaltake uses USB2 headers for the fan/reg connections to the "module/controller" that comes with it. It is designed to be daisy chained if you ever want a way for running extra fans as push/pull or run two systems as one etc.

I decided to test the AIO connected to the thermenltake PSU whole the rest of the system's motherboard was also connected to the PSU. I began istalling parts to the PSU one at a time. The fist one was the thermenltake AIO, AFTER CONNECTING JUSTY IT to the PSU the PSU gace a working signal light and to my surprise all the rgb lights around the fans turned on in and yje fans spun up. Up to this point when all the system was connected to the PSU the Coarsair PSU self test button failed, it sis not run the thermnaltake AIO at all ????

I then connected the 24 pin motherboarth connection and tested the self testing button on the PSU. It faile.... not working.

My next move it to build this wholes system out of the box and on the the box the Maximus it was shipped in for building the system on the bench out of a case to see if I can estimate why this blasted thing will not boot.

BTW I thought I'd pass on my dilemma onto the list and see if i can catch anyone with some good sound advice to help me get this system to work.
11 REPLIES 11

Tropico
Level 7
Nice build.. Check the Corsair manual for self test button. The AIO instructions may not appear as logical, but make sure you follow them, especially if RBG/ D-RGB.

It will work.

Others may provide more accurate advice.

Cheers

Edit: Noone else has chimed in so I'll add to this post.

The self test button does not work if you have anything connected to the PSU.

Use the cables that came with the power supply to connect to motherboard, and make sure that use the EPS/ATX12V cables and they plug in the correct socket on your PSU, not a PCIE cable or socket.

If that is ok then failure of PSU to start probably means one of the other connections is short circuit.
Hope this may help.

XYchromosone
Level 10
thank you for your kind input. And please excuse my terrible writing and grammar in the OP. it is terrible and not very clear of what I was trying to explain.

Well I felt a bit of relief this evening when I decided to do a test build on the cardboard case of the Maximus XI to have better access to the components. I placed the mother board on the case, then I begam to wire it up to the Corsair AX1600i. I connected the 24 pin motherboard power supply, then the CPU power supply, next I tried to the a 4 pin powersupply cable that plugs nest to the 8 pin CPU power supply. However there is not such cable in the kit that can plug into the 4 pin next to the CPU power socket.

Before I go on to tell my story, could anyone here please help me to power both the 8 pin and 4 pin power supply cables? The 8 pin is straight forward, the modular cable is easily distinguishable but the 4pin socket [which i believe is an optional plug and is used if one is going to do heavy OC and SLI etc] is not easy for me to find. How would I go about plugging in both CPU power sockets correctly, which cables from the modular cables set should be used?

Now getting back to how far I got this evening, I though I would test the system with the ihntel iGPU instead of the ASUS Trix 1080Ti. I connected the power on off/psu led power LEG HDD led cable from the Fractal case, and after plugging in the PSU I got the Mobo regular ROG LEDs to fir up. Hext, I took a breathe of hope and awitched on the unit fomr the case power switch. This time I actually got the thing to almost boot, well, at least I got some Q codes because my first attempt in the OP I didn't even get any Q code boot codes at all. Just the plain ROG leds would work.

However, all I got was up to Q code 55, no ON SCREEN post but at least the PSU run it's fan at full speed for a few seconds, and the thermaltake AIO LEDs all lit up and the AIO unit remained running .

It appears I am getting to some form of resolution to what ever the problem may be. I removed the ram and it ended with the Q code 55. I ran 1 ram stick and still Qcode 55.I tried as much troubleshooting as I could before I have to go to sleep for the night but the fact to the problem is this Qcode 55 without any post screen. I even tried the system by plugging in the ASUS Strix GTX1080 Ti with the same result...Qcode55 and no post.

If anyone could suggest anything that might get to the problem I would be greatly appreciated.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Q-CODE 55 indicates no DRAM installed. Make sure both the memory modules and CPU are mounted correctly.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

XYchromosone
Level 10
I tried that and I also tried running 2 sticks of Corsair 8GB from my Max VIII with no luck. Tomorrow I shall try running a spare i7 8700k that I have to see if it might be the CPU [i9 9900k].

The Maximus XI Code has two power sockets at the top of the mobo, an 8 pin CPU power connection and next to it a 4 pin connection. This configuration is new to me in that I understand where to get the power for the 8 pin CPU connection from the modular PSU but what should use for the 4 pin connection next to 8 PIN from my Corsair AX1600i PSU?

Some of the PCIe cables can be split from 6 Pin to 4 Pin if I recall, is this what i should do to connect the 4 Pin connection?

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
You should have a single modular 4 PIN CPU cable with that power supply. The additional 4 pin is not mandatory unless planning on extreme overclocking.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

XYchromosone
Level 10
I thought that was the case that the 4 PIN CPU header next to the 8 PIN header was optional and I tried running it with both configurations to test. I've put the system aside since I last wrote but shall be getting into working on it again over the next few days.

It just gets so disheartening when you [purchase new expensive parts to build a new system and it starts off not working as it should. It's the first time this has happened out of all the many systems I've built since 1997.

You could try a BIOS update with the USB BIOS Flashback utility

Tropico wrote:
You could try a BIOS update with the USB BIOS Flashback utility
Hard to flash a BIOS when the system fails to post.

Enderwiggin03 wrote:
Hard to flash a BIOS when the system fails to post.

With the USB BIOS Flashback it doesn't need to POST. It doesn't even need to have a CPU installed. All it needs is power (not powered up).79012