cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus x One Click Overclock

Leonidas_ee
Level 7
I know this is probably a dumb question, I have not built a PC since the Maximus IV. But does the one click automatic overclock turn on XMP & overclocks the CPU, or do you turn on XMP profile manually then run ASUS one click overclock.
5,132 Views
9 REPLIES 9

JustinThyme
Level 13
I recommend against using the 1 click method. 99% of the time you can get better results with a lower Vcore by the old tried and true method of walking it up manually, stressing, then adding more. Last time I tried it the OC was unstable and HOT!!!



“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
I recommend against using the 1 click method. 99% of the time you can get better results with a lower Vcore by the old tried and true method of walking it up manually, stressing, then adding more. Last time I tried it the OC was unstable and HOT!!!


They'll probably fix this with a BIOS update. Still does the one click overclock both RAM & CPU?

Raja
Level 13
The one-click rules are designed to be a catch-all, so will account for the worst CPUs we have in R&D. While there can be updates to the applied voltage, the worst-case scenario is always factored into the equation. That's why manual tuning often yields better results.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
The one-click rules are designed to be a catch-all, so will account for the worst CPUs we have in R&D. While there can be updates to the applied voltage, the worst-case scenario is always factored into the equation. That's why manual tuning often yields better results.


I thought it was based on an average value based on a multitude of tested CPUs. Still doesn't answer my question whether the one click turns on XMP or just overclocks the CPU.

Leonidas_ee wrote:
I thought it was based on an average value based on a multitude of tested CPUs. Still doesn't answer my question whether the one click turns on XMP or just overclocks the CPU.



It's not that cut and dry as we have to try and ensure the system POSTs with poor CPU samples. The profiles should not and do not (afaik) engage XMP, as that introduces another variable into the mix.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
It's not that cut and dry as we have to try and ensure the system POSTs with poor CPU samples. The profiles should not and do not (afaik) engage XMP, as that introduces another variable into the mix.


Ok thank you for the info. Is there any good links to what to tweak if one was to do it manually. I haven't done this since the Maximus IV Extreme and i7 2700k.

Raja
Level 13
Will be largely similar to the Kaby Lake overclocking guide on Edge Up. Some subtle changes here and there, but its the same architecture.

http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Will be largely similar to the Kaby Lake overclocking guide on Edge Up. Some subtle changes here and there, but its the same architecture.

http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide/

Raja very good guide. Now reading it since my code is in the mail. Any notable differences for coffee lake, is there a separate guide for that. Thanks

Raja
Level 13
Hi Leonidas,

No separate guide yet. I may do one at some point. Will add a few items. The methodology and approach will be the same, though.

-Raja