cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Hero (Wifi) - 40mm Fan Bracket - Meant to be Bent?

mrvortep
Level 8
The 40mm fan bracket that came with my X Hero seems to be bent in two parts - please see the pics. I can't quite tell if it's meant to be bent like this so the fan sits at a slightly jaunty angle, or if it's just got bent during packaging or shipping. It appears pretty easy to bend back to right angles at all the joins if I wanted to, but I don't want to do that if it's meant to be a little off. EDIT: Not sure why the post rotated my pics 90degrees: here's the imgur link for horizontal https://imgur.com/a/uWgDDdo

Many thanks!

22 REPLIES 22

cl-Adrian
Level 8
mrvortep wrote:
The 40mm fan bracket that came with my X Hero seems to be bent in two parts - please see the pics. I can't quite tell if it's meant to be bent like this so the fan sits at a slightly jaunty angle, or if it's just got bent during packaging or shipping. It appears pretty easy to bend back to right angles at all the joins if I wanted to, but I don't want to do that if it's meant to be a little off. EDIT: Not sure why the post rotated my pics 90degrees: here's the imgur link for horizontal https://imgur.com/a/uWgDDdo

Many thanks!

My name is Adrian from the ASUS Customer Loyalty Team here at our North America Corporate Office. If you would allow, it would be more than glad to help provide resolution to this case. I've verified your part with ours, and yours is just about less than 5° off. You can indeed bend it to your style, but just don't abruptly bend it. If any issues arise with the functionality of your motherboard, you can contact me at cl-adrian@asus.com.

​Thank you for choosing ASUS!

Best Regards,
Adrian
ASUS Customer Loyalty – US Support

mrvortep
Level 8
Hi Adrian

Thanks for the quick response. I'm also a little confused as to which mounting hole you're meant to use for this bracket - as the instruction manual and the packaging for the bracket show different holes to be used. Further, if you used the hole shown in the instruction manual the fan would just be blowing straight onto the top of the I/O shield, which is not the part it's supposed to be cooling (the VRMs). Would you mind please checking in and letting me know which mounting hole this fan bracket is supposed to be mounted on? Many thanks again!

mrvortep wrote:
Hi Adrian

Thanks for the quick response. I'm also a little confused as to which mounting hole you're meant to use for this bracket - as the instruction manual and the packaging for the bracket show different holes to be used. Further, if you used the hole shown in the instruction manual the fan would just be blowing straight onto the top of the I/O shield, which is not the part it's supposed to be cooling (the VRMs). Would you mind please checking in and letting me know which mounting hole this fan bracket is supposed to be mounted on? Many thanks again!

Hi mrvortep,

No worries, the marketed use for the bracket is to cool the VRMs, but from i've seen online others have used it to cool M.2 drives as well, or create better airflow behind the motherboard where you mount your CPU. You also can bend the bracket to give a certain spot more air flow but that's all preferences, but the purpose is to generate better airflow towards the top right of the motherboard where heat tends to build up, as the VRMs should be located both on top and to the left of the CPU.

Best Regards,
Adrian

cl-Adrian@asus wrote:
Hi mrvortep,

No worries, the marketed use for the bracket is to cool the VRMs, but from i've seen online others have used it to cool M.2 drives as well, or create better airflow behind the motherboard where you mount your CPU. You also can bend the bracket to give a certain spot more air flow but that's all preferences, but the purpose is to generate better airflow towards the top right of the motherboard where heat tends to build up, as the VRMs should be located both on top and to the left of the CPU.

Best Regards,
Adrian

Thanks Adrian but I'm still a little confused. If I want to use the bracket/fan to cool the VRMs, which mounting hole should I use in the Maximus X Hero?

1. The mounting hole at the top-left corner of the motherboard, right in the corner next to the I/O shield; OR
2. The mounting hole at the top edge, just right of center above and slightly left of the DIMMs?

Thanks!

mrvortep wrote:
Thanks Adrian but I'm still a little confused. If I want to use the bracket/fan to cool the VRMs, which mounting hole should I use in the Maximus X Hero?

1. The mounting hole at the top-left corner of the motherboard, right in the corner next to the I/O shield; OR
2. The mounting hole at the top edge, just right of center above and slightly left of the DIMMs?

Thanks!

Sorry for the delay mrvortep,

Personally i would place your fan right at:

"1. The mounting hole at the top-left corner of the motherboard, right in the corner next to the I/O shield;"

Just because, it would generate an even amount of airflow to both side of the VRMs.

cl-Adrian@asus wrote:
Sorry for the delay mrvortep,

Personally i would place your fan right at:

"1. The mounting hole at the top-left corner of the motherboard, right in the corner next to the I/O shield;"

Just because, it would generate an even amount of airflow to both side of the VRMs.

Great, thank you very much Adrian, that's just what I was after.

mrvortep wrote:
Great, thank you very much Adrian, that's just what I was after.

No problem, but if you happen to run into heating issue in a specified location make no hesitation to make adjustments.

Carlyle2020
Level 10
The fan bracket with my fan does keep the VRM needlessly under 50 degree at full load

Carlyle2020 wrote:

It really is blowing on those useless metall things on top of the VRMs

What gives 🙂

Did you try putting the bracket+fan on the mounting hole just to the left of the DRAM? I thought this position might actually make the fan point a little more towards the VRMs at least...?