cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Hero (Wifi) - 40mm Fan Bracket - Meant to be Bent?

mrvortep
Level 8
The 40mm fan bracket that came with my X Hero seems to be bent in two parts - please see the pics. I can't quite tell if it's meant to be bent like this so the fan sits at a slightly jaunty angle, or if it's just got bent during packaging or shipping. It appears pretty easy to bend back to right angles at all the joins if I wanted to, but I don't want to do that if it's meant to be a little off. EDIT: Not sure why the post rotated my pics 90degrees: here's the imgur link for horizontal https://imgur.com/a/uWgDDdo

Many thanks!

22 REPLIES 22

mrvortep wrote:
Will do thanks Adrian - if you could still try and locate the part number for the Asus-included fan bracket that would be most appreciated? Cheers.

The PN# 13030-00740600 for fan bracket

cl-Adrian@asus wrote:
The PN# 13030-00740600 for fan bracket

Brilliant, thanks - can I just call Asus service and ask for that part (assuming I pay for it)?

Carlyle2020
Level 10
Hello mrvortep,

i have 2 SSDs. My cheap one for downloading is on slot 1 with the standard heat sink (evo 970/500Gb).
My OS one (evo 960/1Tb) is in slot 2 with the fan setup. Simply because slot 1"in my personal case" is cooler even without a fan due to very good case airflow.

Including direct 40mm air without a heatsink is cooling that one far below optimum temps. Near ambient temps in idle even.
A heatsink is not needed. The fan is so close and for the small distance so strong that i deem a heatsink almost an unnecessary thermal insulator between Controller Chip and fan.

! A prerequisite for this to work is a fan that can keep the SSD from thotteling.
If that is not the case an included heatsink may soak the heat better by extending the throtteling point further.

Rgds Carlyle

ps for new joiners to this topic: my statement concerns the 3D printed fan mount now. That one is very close. The Asus VRM fan bracket, which works well on slot 2, may have more benefits concerning a heatsink.

edit: the 2080ti did cook my ssd, so i did install the 3D Fan mount again. With my 1050ti i could deinstall it.