Did you mean: 

Maximus X hero / i7 8700K settings?

Asryan
Level 10
Hi there,

I installed yesterday a maximus X hero, 8700K and Trident Z RGB

I have an Eisbaer AIO LT 360

I was quite surprised by the temps..

Coming from a delidded 4790k which maxed out at 60 degrees (non oc) in game or stress test, seeing 70 degrees in Assassins creed origins and almost 80 in a 15 min real bench stress test ....

I plan to delid my 8700K tonight (a friend will do it for me with the dedicated tool)

But i have some questions about tweaks and bios settings to get the best of it (without oc for now) and reduce heating.

First, are those temps normal? I read everything and its opposite about it and some people on FB groups claims to have a 8700K running 60 degrees max without delid and on an AIO.

about vcore.

Do you set vcore auto or manual? If manual, what value ? I considered putting 1.20 but maybe i can go lower?

I deactivated Asus multicore enhancement and so i have :
1 active core : 47
2 c: 46

Is that ok?

What are the other settings you could advice me to change to have a stable and less warm CPU?

Thanks a lot.
50 REPLIES 50

Menthol
Level 14
Asryan,
The Eisbaer AIO's are supposed to be pretty good coolers, after your delid (if it's done correctly with LM) your system should run 10 to 20 degrees cooler.
CPU quality and required voltage vary quite a bit so every system needs tuned individually
At default settings 1.18 to 1.2 volts should be enough , but your CPU will determine that

Please list your components, memory part number helps if you are going to use XMP or overclock the memory

What are your expectations, are you planning on overclocking your CPU, memory? and if so by how much

I've delidded my 8700K, OC'd to 5.0GHz and have the same mobo. My voltage is at 1.4V Vcore and -3AVX Offset. Cooled by a Celsius S36, Prime95 after 3 hours saw temps max out at 81. During normal game play (2k res, ultra graphics) I see temps max out at 52.

As Menthol stated what are your PC specs and what is your end goal for the OC?

Hey

Well i mostly do gaming and some video editing for work.

I don't plan to oc for now, delid and all is more about lower temps and SILENCE.

But i was wondering if my temps were ok for that kind of CPU. if i get 20 degrees lower and have like 50 degrees in game max i'll be happy.

Apparently Assassins creed origin is taking a lot from CPU and makes them really warm, i haven't tried other games yet.

The guy who will delid it does good job, (with conductonaut inside and kryonaut outside) he delidded my 4790K without issues and i had really good temps

In bios I just changed that :

ASus multicore enhancement : off
Vcore on manual mode : 1.2
XMP profile for the ram.

For my specs here they are

Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero X
Processor: i7 8700k stock frequency /
GPU : GTX 1080 TI EVGA FTW3
Ram : 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB / 3466Mhz
PSU: Corsair RMI 850 GOLD
Watercooling : Eisbaer LT 360 (I changed the fans for silent wings 3)
Case : Phanteks Enthoo Luxe / 2 silents wings 3 140mm on the front for intake, one on the back for exhaust
HDD: WD Green 2To 64Mo 3.5"

SSD
Samsung EVO 850 - 250Go
Samsung EVO 850 - 500Go x 2

Menthol
Level 14
What are your ambient room temps, your system should idle at about 10 degrees over ambient, as you know from your Haswell system, the deild will make a huge difference.
I am running my 8700k @ 5.2GHZ AVX -2 offset 1.4 volt, ambient temp around 22 degrees, idle temp around 32 degrees, Realbench load under 80 degrees
I am using a 360 Corsair AIO, fans 600 rpm at idle, very quite, about 1200 rpm full load, fans connected to CPU fan header with spliter, not connected to AIO
I am currently using an EVGA 1080 FTW2, I installed EVGA's AIO kit on the card, this made a huge difference in noise, my GPU is now almost silent during use

Set SVID behavior to best case scenario, LLC 5 or 6

I don't really know about ambient temps. I live in france so it's average but i guess 20 to 25 degrees in my room shoud be that

Idle i'm around 35 but i noticed it spike to 45 without reasons too. Which is weird ?

My realbench was around 80 degrees at stock without MCE but without delid, is that normal?

What is avx?
Svid? Should i keep it enable or not?

i'll set up LLC at this level then. (if someone can explain LLC to me btw, never really got what it was used for)

And for vcore, should i use manual then?

For my fans, i maxed fan speed during gaming or video rendering (silent wings 2200 on aio, exhaust on the top, 1000 on the case exhaust and intake)

My Fans are connected to a rheobus. The pump is on the cpu fan

The eisbaer pump is set at 2300 / 2400 rpm not 2600 because i can hear it. I asked alphacool they told me doing a speed curve for it is fine so i did it, 100% at 60 degrees and like 80% below. (in bios)

NemesisChild
Level 12
LLC is Load Line Calibration, it addresses Vroop (CPU voltage drop) while under load.

Here's some more info:

http://www.overclock.net/forum/8-intel-general/1045018-what-does-llc-do-bios.html
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Menthol
Level 14
I think your RB temps are normal, if your using RB ver. 2.56 it uses AVX which will create more heat as it uses more current
AVX is an instruction set for some specific work loads, it does increase current and heat, not an issue for most users, just set an AVX offset of 2 or 3 just in case
As load increases and draws more current you will encounter vdroop, some vdroop is good, adjusting LLC level allows some control of this so you don't have to run vcore as high as you would without using LLC

Your pump speed and fan speeds are good as long as you are comfortable with noise levels, I don;t use headphones so I prefer a low speed, low noise fan but this is always user preference
My ambient's are similar to yours and cooling is very similar, I have my pump connected to the AIO header at full speed, rad fans connected to CPU header controlled by CPU temp
your idle temp won't drop by much unless you run the fans at high speed after delid but your load temps should improve dramatically allowing either high clocks, lower fan speeds or a combination of the two

I use adaptive vcore and balanced power plan myself for 24/7 usage, there a numerous threads about adaptive vcore in these forums

Hello there,

here are my results after delid of 15m on realbench.

before delid, it was around 79 degrees..

I'm pretty happy about it, what do you think.?

i7 8700k @1.18v
Maximus hero x
AIO eisbaer LT 360 with silent wings high speed
boost 4,7

Cores

Menthol
Level 14
Asryan,
Good job, isn't it nice to see the lower temps