cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Hero / 8700k Multi Core Enhancement not working?

Zammin
Level 9
Hi Everyone,

I'm posting my question here since I've been trying to get in contact with the Australian ASUS technical support for 13 days and they are just ignoring me and have closed my ticket without answering my questions.

I have an ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC) Motherboard with BIOS version 1003 (latest) and an Intel 8700k CPU.

My understanding of Multi-Core Enhancement is that it should be turbo boosting all cores in my 8700k to 4.7Ghz (max turbo frequency) even under full load when running things like Cinebench or Realbench. However with MCE enabled, it appears that I am still only seeing Intel's default turbo speeds of 4.4Ghz idle and 4.3Ghz full load.

Has ASUS changed the way MCE works in the latest BIOS because of instability issues or is there a problem with my motherboard/BIOS?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
11 REPLIES 11

Zammin
Level 9
82 views and no replies? Can someone from ASUS at least chime in with some advice here?

Let's get a little more detail on your system...

How is your power management settings in Windows? I would recommend you set it to performance, this will prevent your system from underclocking your CPU.

Alternately have you tried to manually OC your system to 4.7Ghz?

no1yak
Level 8
Amazing , total lack of system info and you expect people on this forum to be-able to answer your questions. Take screen shots of you Bios settings so we can see what you are trying to do. To get a screen shot use F12 in the bios and save to a USB stick and then upload to your reply. None of us are mind readers.

Menthol
Level 14
Zammin,
Patience my friend. Don't pay attention to views as most are people looking for either personal knowledge, or to troubleshoot there own PC
It's always possible there were changes in new bios that affect operation in unexpected ways, is your bios on all default settings (F5)? If you've made any changes it may have changed how it functions
Also the CPU speed is constantly changing at an extremely fast rate so you may not always be able to see the changes in software

Full detailed specs, monitoring software, and test scenario, and bios screen shots do help when troubleshooting from a distance

You have a very good motherboard (one of the best) and I am sure you can get it operating in top form and be very happy, let's take it slowly and get it correct

First of all thank you all for your responses. I appreciate the assistance.

Velcade wrote:
Let's get a little more detail on your system...

How is your power management settings in Windows? I would recommend you set it to performance, this will prevent your system from underclocking your CPU.

Alternately have you tried to manually OC your system to 4.7Ghz?

I apologise for not providing more information.. I thought the motherboard and CPU were the main things since MCE appears to work out of the box on default settings for everyone else as far as I have seen. I am using High Performance as my power plan in windows. I have applied a manual overclock because MCE would not work for me, so this may sound pointless but I am still concerned about why it would not work. I spent a lot of time searching google and could not find one instance of MCE not working as it should (running the 8700k at 4.7Ghz).

Here are my system specs if this helps:

ASUS Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC) Motherboard w/ BIOS 1003 (Latest)
Intel 8700k CPU
G Skill 3200Mhz Trident Z RGB 16GB
Corsair H115i CPU cooler
Intel 600P 256GB M.2 NVME Boot drive
ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC GPU
Seasonic 1050W PSU
3x 1TB HDD
Samsung 1TB 850 EVO SSD

no1yak wrote:
Amazing , total lack of system info and you expect people on this forum to be-able to answer your questions. Take screen shots of you Bios settings so we can see what you are trying to do. To get a screen shot use F12 in the bios and save to a USB stick and then upload to your reply. None of us are mind readers.

I apologise if I came across as rude, I honestly was not intending to, so please be a little more respectful to me. I am entirely new here but I don't normally post to forums about PC issues since I normally seek advice from tech support in the first instance but as I mentioned dealing with ASUS has been incredibly frustrating.

As mentioned above I gave the information I thought was necessary and expected if additional information was required, people would ask. Which they have. Although a screenshot of my BIOS would probably not be of much use since I am currently using a manual overclock as mentioned above, so MCE is disabled. However I did this only because MCE was not working out of the box. When I was trying to use MCE my BIOS settings were just the optimised defaults which sets MCE to auto. I also tried enabling and disabling it and my clock speeds remained the same 4.3Ghz when monitoring them under full loads like cinebench, prime 95 and realbench.

In this video here they are using the same motherboard and CPU as me and you can see that with MCE enabled it is running at 4.7Ghz under full load in cinebench (7:10): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0juO5KuwBX4

In this video Jay also talks about this on a strix motherboard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi-zU2p2ykc

Menthol wrote:
Zammin,
Patience my friend. Don't pay attention to views as most are people looking for either personal knowledge, or to troubleshoot there own PC
It's always possible there were changes in new bios that affect operation in unexpected ways, is your bios on all default settings (F5)? If you've made any changes it may have changed how it functions
Also the CPU speed is constantly changing at an extremely fast rate so you may not always be able to see the changes in software

Full detailed specs, monitoring software, and test scenario, and bios screen shots do help when troubleshooting from a distance

You have a very good motherboard (one of the best) and I am sure you can get it operating in top form and be very happy, let's take it slowly and get it correct

Thanks, I believe I have provided this information above, except for the BIOS screenshots which if you guys still want me to take screenshots of the BIOS's default settings I can do that, but I figured it's pretty self explanatory with what I explained above.

The monitoring software I generally use is core temp, CPUID and MSI afterburner.

Zammin
Level 9
I've just seen a new BIOS got released (1101), I think I will try updating and seeing if that changes anything.

Zammin
Level 9
Okay I have an update on this.

I tried the new BIOS. MCE is still doing nothing. Here is the system at idle and under full load (cinebench) with the BIOS set to optimised defaults (MCE enabled/auto).

Idle:

100% Load:

Looks like Intel default speeds to me...

I have been talking to the US ASUS tech support and so far it has been incredibly frustrating as they don't seem to understand MCE.. I even linked them the same videos I posted above which show that MCE runs the 8700k at 4.7Ghz in Cinebench 100% load on the exact same motherboard I have. These are the responses I got from them:

"For Multi Core Enhancement feature in the BIOS, it's a feature which will synchronize the VCORE of all cores. If disabled, it will follow the stock setting which Intel turbo rule things like 39 on one core 35 on the other 3 or 38 on two cores and 35 on 2 or 36 on all four."

"Regarding the MCE I just want to verify if have you performed any overclocking? Because upon checking if the MCE is set auto this item will allow you maximize the overclocking performance. If you set it to disable this item allows you to set to default core ratio settings."

"For the MCE, the maximum turbo is 4.7Ghz but it only achieve in some situations like light loads and single thread applications. Otherwise, during heavy loads with all threads, it will run at 4.4/4.3Ghz.

See below for example: "

The image above that they provided me is just a table of Intel default speeds... They still have not answered the question I am asking over and over again which is "Why is MCE not working?". Enabling or disabling it sees the same speeds on my system but everyone else gets 4.7Ghz. No matter how many times I say this they just don't seem to understand.

Can any of you guys help me? Is this enough information? Can someone else with the same motherboard try loading optimised defaults and tell me if you get 4.7Ghz with MCE in Cinebench?

Menthol
Level 14
Have you tried monitoring the core speeds using, HWinfo, AIDA64, or an app where you can monitor all cores separately at the same time so you can view the different speed of each core if left on defaults? I don't think you can see it in CPU-Z
Which version of Cinebench are you using

bass_junkie_xl
Level 11
Zammin wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I'm posting my question here since I've been trying to get in contact with the Australian ASUS technical support for 13 days and they are just ignoring me and have closed my ticket without answering my questions.

I have an ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC) Motherboard with BIOS version 1003 (latest) and an Intel 8700k CPU.

My understanding of Multi-Core Enhancement is that it should be turbo boosting all cores in my 8700k to 4.7Ghz (max turbo frequency) even under full load when running things like Cinebench or Realbench. However with MCE enabled, it appears that I am still only seeing Intel's default turbo speeds of 4.4Ghz idle and 4.3Ghz full load.

Has ASUS changed the way MCE works in the latest BIOS because of instability issues or is there a problem with my motherboard/BIOS?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

i noticed this as well i re did a reformat of windowss since my pci x riser cable was making my 1080ti stay in pci x 16 @ 8 x 3.0 vs 16 x 3.0 anywaysi fixed that issue as i run a vertical gpu .

played around in bios left evrything defult no over clocking ( thats the first lol ) and selected xmp to on it asked me to enhance i said yes rebooted still droped down to 4.3 ghz wtf ?? all these you tube video of jayz 2 cents having multy core ehnacment on and it doesnt work ??

fix : turn sync all cores to = sync all cores , not per core
maybee since bios 805 om x hero multy core doesnt do that u have to do it manualy .

after that it works just fine unless u like per core boosts
Rig # 1 - 14900K SP-115 | 87 MC @ 6.0 GHZ | 5.1 R | 4.5 E | DDR5 48GB @ 8,400 c36 | Strix RTX 4090 | XG27AQN 1440P 27" 360 Hz G-Sync ULMB 2

Rig # 2 - 13900KS-SP-120 | 80 MC @ 5.8 GHZ | 5.0 R | 4.5 E | DDR4 32GB @ 4,300 c15 | Strix RTX 3080 | Aoc 1080P 25" 240 Hz G-Sync