cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Audio Popping

wambo
Level 7
Hi everyone, I've noticed that I get random audio popping while listening to an audio Stream in Chrome while I am browsing other tabs or have Chrome in the background.

I have forced Chrome not to throttle background tabs and have checked that I have the latest drivers. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

The audio sounds great if I have that tab in focus, but as soon as I start browsing another tab, I get intermittent pops. This happens with multiple speaker setups and with headphones on the front IO ports. I'm thinking it is a driver issue. I have all audio enhancements turned off. I see that there are some similar issues with the previous boards but I don't see a consolidated / agreed upon solution.
346 REPLIES 346

RayzTheRoof
Level 7
Is there a reason it only happens in browsers or spotify in my case? Like, game audio completely unaffected.

Disabling video driver and enaebling doesn't temporarily fix it. And neither does disabling fast boot. Completely disabling the nvidia driver still results in popping. I get it in VLC too but don't notice it in games. edit: noticed it in game audio, most noticeably voice chat in multiplayer.

Think I just got a bad motherboard 😕

It started happening to me about a month ago after updating to the latest nvidia drivers. At first it was the 20% less volume in one ear with no audio popping, and after reinstalling nvidia drivers that went away and it became audio popping / stuttering.

I rolled back, freshly installed the drivers, but to no avail. I also tried fresh installing windows 10, disabling my onboard audio, removing realtek drivers, using audio through my monitor, disabling fast boot, and using a usb headset to see if I could get rid of the problem. So far nothing has helped. It's happening a lot less now to the point where it's only noticeable watching some streams on twitch(namely Ninja) and when I'm using the volume slider on youtube videos. It doesn't happen in games in the slightest or when using spotify.

I have the MSI Z370-A PRO motherboard.

Stevo_97 wrote:
It started happening to me about a month ago after updating to the latest nvidia drivers. At first it was the 20% less volume in one ear with no audio popping, and after reinstalling nvidia drivers that went away and it became audio popping / stuttering.

I rolled back, freshly installed the drivers, but to no avail. I also tried fresh installing windows 10, disabling my onboard audio, removing realtek drivers, using audio through my monitor, disabling fast boot, and using a usb headset to see if I could get rid of the problem. So far nothing has helped. It's happening a lot less now to the point where it's only noticeable watching some streams on twitch(namely Ninja) and when I'm using the volume slider on youtube videos. It doesn't happen in games in the slightest or when using spotify.

I have the MSI Z370-A PRO motherboard.

You do know that this is Asus forums, right?
Nevertheless, you also said you get the problem even with an external USB card, thus most likely your problem is not the same as the one debated in this topic.

Deepcuts wrote:
You do know that this is Asus forums, right?
Nevertheless, you also said you get the problem even with an external USB card, thus most likely your problem is not the same as the one debated in this topic.

I've seen plenty of threads about z170 z270 and z370 boards having the same issues as described in this thread. There's far too similarities for you to write it off as unrelated. At the very least it's something to do with nvidia drivers as that's when this started for me.

It's the biggest thread I've found on the topic, may as well post about it here where it's more likely to be seen, discussed and potentially solved than elsewhere.

Vinny1001
Level 9
I literally have been trying to get these audio issues across to Asus since the VIII Z170 Hero. I even had an Asus forum rep replicate my issue and asked me to confirm it and sent me a video, and I confirmed, and nothing was done. Lol.

Great boards, horrible support 😞 At least my experience. Truly just want the audio issues to be addressed and worked on. I want a new board in a year or so and want to continue with Asus. I've had a few friends build gaming PC's or upgraded, and they stayed away from Asus because they would come by to help try to fix the audio issue but none could...

Let's hope this audio is fixed. Great information everyone, I'm glad we can all get our voice out!
Z790 Asus Hero Maximus on 0816 BIOS (0914 and 1202 crashes for me on XMP I), Intel 13900k stock clock, Asus 4090 Strix OC edition, FF3D532G720 Teamgroup Ram running XMP I, 16gb x 2, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB x 2, Seasonic VERTEX GX 1200W, Win 11 Pro 64, Deepcool LS720 AIO, NZXT H7 Flow. Comfortably using Armoury Crate for updates/fan xpert.

Deepcuts
Level 10
@Stevo_97 you said: "and using a usb headset to see if I could get rid of the problem. So far nothing has helped"
That is why I said your problem has nothing to do with this topic.
Using a USB audio does not present audio pops, unless that USB has some serious problems also.
I am also using a USB audio and the audio is clean.

Deepcuts wrote:
@Stevo_97 you said: "and using a usb headset to see if I could get rid of the problem. So far nothing has helped"
That is why I said your problem has nothing to do with this topic.
Using a USB audio does not present audio pops, unless that USB has some serious problems also.
I am also using a USB audio and the audio is clean.

So this means my Asus motherboard is borked? Using a headset through USB or just direct audio out to speakers both provide popping.

I need to RMA and take apart my whole system for a freaking audio issue ugh

Deepcuts
Level 10
I would try a live Ubuntu distro and play some audio to rule out drivers and Windows OS problems.

Deepcuts wrote:
I would try a live Ubuntu distro and play some audio to rule out drivers and Windows OS problems.

I have no idea how to do that 😐

For note: even audio over HDMI or DP (both from GPU) going to either of my monitors ends up with popping.

Scorpion
Level 9
One thing I've been noticing is that people are talking about turning off "fast startup" I do not have that option cause I'm not using legacy boot, I have CMS off and Secure boot enabled, I personally am not having any audio problems, also the systems I build (I'm a system builder) not sure why some of you have CSM enabled? if you don't have any legacy items it should be tuned off...also new audio drivers are out try them out (they are wokring very well on my Maximus X Formula, Code and IX Formula)...they have all new UWP apps for Sonic Studio, Sonic Radar and Realtek Audio Console, make sure you check for Windows Store updates as one some of those had an update, before the update if was crashing on me...and yes these audio drivers are perfectly fine to use on any ASUS motherboard...ASUS will eventually update all the support pages...

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-E-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/