cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Hero X Wifi - 8700k, much better results

Starscream
Level 7
Hey everyone,

I've managed to achieve better results last night, so I wanted to share.

I started with stock settings, enabled XMP and selected "yes" at the prompt. This gave me clocks at 4300 under load and temps averaging 75C with spikes to 80C +.

Last night, I made the following changes...
1- Sync all cores 47
2- SVID behavior Best Case
3- Adaptive core Voltage 1.20
4- Avx offset 5 (I havnt tested AVX yet, but I think one of my BOINC projects uses it, so I wanted to be conservitive)
5- Load Lines @ .01

I think that was it. I ran the IXTU stress test for 5 minutes, then ran one of my BOINC projects overnight. (Since this was how I tested first time, I was looking for relative changes...I will do a more proper stress test in the future)

So at 4700 all cores my temps dropped to 65C average with spikes to 70C. My TDP was decreased substantially from around 100W to about *edit* 80W. This is really nice compared to 4300 with TDP of about 100W.

I just wanted to share as others here have had difficulty with high temps @ the stock CPU settings I was using.
16 REPLIES 16

no1yak
Level 8
I have the same board but,without the Wi-Fi. I'm running 4.8Ghz, vcore 1.200 fixed voltage, LLC 5, XMP @3200. Vcore droops to 1.168v under full load AVX=0 and have run RealBench for an hour . Completely stable. Temps on air cooler Noctua NH- U14S after an hour was 69c except core 2 which was 71c. Room temp was 21.5c . Svid =best case, VCCIO @1.28, VCCSA@1.20. Sync all cores @ 4.8Ghz. All six cores run @4.8Ghz.

no1yak wrote:
I have the same board but,without the Wi-Fi. I'm running 4.8Ghz, vcore 1.200 fixed voltage, LLC 5, XMP @3200. Vcore droops to 1.168v under full load AVX=0 and have run RealBench for an hour . Completely stable. Temps on air cooler Noctua NH- U14S after an hour was 69c except core 2 which was 71c. Room temp was 21.5c . Svid =best case, VCCIO @1.28, VCCSA@1.20. Sync all cores @ 4.8Ghz. All six cores run @4.8Ghz.

I tried 4.8 with my settings and it was not stable. Perhaps changing to LLC 5 would fix that. I did try 1.24 Vcore and it still was not stable. I didnt have time to mess with it, but I was excited to achieve the lower temps and TDP @4700.

Atifan
Level 7
2.0v vcore??? wtf? What temps do you have. I would fast set it lower to max. ~1.4v if you want to have fun with it long time 🙂

Atifan wrote:
2.0v vcore??? wtf? What temps do you have. I would fast set it lower to max. ~1.4v if you want to have fun with it long time 🙂

Sorry typo should have been 1.200, edited post.

AntonioL
Level 7
Starscream wrote:
Hey everyone,

I've managed to achieve better results last night, so I wanted to share.

So at 4700 all cores my temps dropped to 65C average with spikes to 70C. My TDP was decreased substantially from around 100W to about *edit* 80W. This is really nice compared to 4300 with TDP of about 100W.

Very interesting, thanks. I struggle to get consumption under alleged TDP of 95W at 4,3 GHz on all cores, but have no success yet. Maybe it is because the Maximus has better VR than the Z370-F.
IXTU does not seem to draw that much power. Did you try Linpack, or closer to real situations, ffmpeg/x265 ?
I tried to reencode a UHD 10 bits (the HEVC 140 Mbit/s Jellyfish Bitrate Test Files from jell.yfish.us) with ffmpeg choosing x265 and 10 threads, and by no means I could reduce the total power drawn by the chip (read with HWInfo) under 115 W at stock frequencies and 130 W at 4,7 GHz on al cores. Attempting to lower voltage did not sensibly decrease consumption (I suppose more current was feeded) and ended causing crash under 1,12 V (at stock frequencies) and 1,16 V (at 4,7 GHz). So I would be very interested by your results if you happened to test heavier loads reckoning on AVX instructions such as x265.

AntonioL wrote:
Very interesting, thanks. I struggle to get consumption under alleged TDP of 95W at 4,3 GHz on all cores, but have no success yet. Maybe it is because the Maximus has better VR than the Z370-F.
IXTU does not seem to draw that much power. Did you try Linpack, or closer to real situations, ffmpeg/x265 ?
I tried to reencode a UHD 10 bits (the HEVC 140 Mbit/s Jellyfish Bitrate Test Files from jell.yfish.us) with ffmpeg choosing x265 and 10 threads, and by no means I could reduce the total power drawn by the chip (read with HWInfo) under 115 W at stock frequencies and 130 W at 4,7 GHz on al cores. Attempting to lower voltage did not sensibly decrease consumption (I suppose more current was feeded) and ended causing crash under 1,12 V (at stock frequencies) and 1,16 V (at 4,7 GHz). So I would be very interested by your results if you happened to test heavier loads reckoning on AVX instructions such as x265.

I agree I need to see the results with more stressful tests. I'll post back when I can do this.

I've noticed that setting the max CPU cache ratio to 45 did not yield any increases to the cache frequency. Did I miss something?

Menthol
Level 14
Set Windows power plan to performance and check max cache speed, default is 4400

I still don't even know if I have MCE activated or not on my ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming Wifi AC. I've it on "Auto", so technically it's activated. But my frequencies are 4,3 when all 6 cores are in use, and the core voltage rarely ever surpasses 1,2 (1,16 with Prime95, 1,14-1,18 in games, 1,16-1,2 with emulators. Also, sometimes it has very rare and brief jumps to 1,25-1,27. But like I said, they're the exception). And I've activated it because when Disabled it puts my CPU on constant 1,344 of core voltage when under load, plus 15 extra C of temperature (don't remember now the clocks when I had it Disabled, and NO WAY that I'm gonna disable it again just to check them).

That option is a COMPLETE MESS imo. And until ASUS finally fixes it and CLEARLY includes an option for Intel 100% stock settings (and puts it as default), I won't recommend these motherboards not even to my worst enemy. I already regret enough buying one myself.

*Note: I DON'T want any kind of OC in my system. I just want all the Intel stock settings once and for all.