cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Hero X - Error 55 - Troubleshooting Help

Trihugger
Level 7
Hello everyone and thank you all in advance. This my first "big boy" motherboard and I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the options available to me (in a good way).

So I can't get my computer to even load the BIOS if I have stock speed RAM in A1 or A2 (the two closest to the CPU, pretty sure they're A). Boots no problem with any of the 4 sticks in B1 and B2 in solo or duo configurations. The motherboard read-out will hang with the code CC and finally error out to 55.

I have basically tried all the non-voltage tweak settings listed in this thread from the IX Hero forum: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91082-Maximus-IX-Hero-wont-boot-with-memory-slots-A1-A2-po... (seemed pertinent since it was the same problem). I didn't try the voltage tweaks since my understanding is that should have only been a potential issue if I could boot from the slots with just a single stick of RAM in them but not with all 4 slots populated.

So just to recap:
-No bent pins that I could see
-CPU isn't bent (both spreader and PCB check out with a level, and yes this was interesting to try to do since its so small)
-Tried with/without the heatsink just to see
-Cleaned the bottom of the CPU with 99% Isopropyl Alcohol just to be sure and used compressed air to clean out anything in the motherboard socket.
-Reseated the CPU 3 times in the process.
-Populated each RAM slot with individual sticks of RAM and then tested working slots with RAM in the other slots individually. Only the farthest two from CPU socket (I think B1/B2) worked in either situation.
-Fully tested the durability of the Reset CMOS button pushing it quite often.

Everything is @ stock settings outside of disabling MCE when I was able to get into the BIOS by having RAM in the "good" slots. This was done after it already wasn't booting properly with a single stick of RAM. I tried flashing the BIOS to the newest version on the website as of 10/24/17 to no avail.

The RAM does receive power being plugged in as the RGB turns on and syncs up with the other RAM. Not sure if this is important but figure I'll be as complete as possible.

These are the specs:
i7-8700k @ stock
GSkill TridentZ RGB C14 3200mHz 32gb (4x8) kit w/o the XMP activated (It's on the QVL)
Alpha Cool Eisbaer 420mm Radiator (didn't feel like bending tubes =P)
Maximus X Hero Wifi
Samsung 960 Pro main 960 Evo data drives
Gigabyte Aorus 1080Ti Extreme Edition (Birthday Gift, would have gotten ASUS myself)

What I'm looking for is a *most likely* culprit as I do understand there are entirely too many potential issues associated with Error 55. It's basically impossible to get another 8700K at the moment so naturally I can't *test* that all too easily but whatever suggestions you can give me I'm willing to try.

Thank you all so much for reading this and I hope we can sort this out. The machine runs beautifully when I can get it to work.
2 REPLIES 2

vfast
Level 7
Trihugger wrote:

What I'm looking for is a *most likely* culprit as I do understand there are entirely too many potential issues associated with Error 55. It's basically impossible to get another 8700K at the moment so naturally I can't *test* that all too easily but whatever suggestions you can give me I'm willing to try.

Thank you all so much for reading this and I hope we can sort this out. The machine runs beautifully when I can get it to work.

Hi - I had this exact issue yesterday. I bought an i3 to get me by while I waited for my 8700k. When swapping the CPUs I couldn't get it to post and displayed these codes.

Somehow I did manage to bend a pin ever so slightly when removing the old CPU (cause I didn't use the installation tool that came with the mobo I suspect). I could only really see this once I took a picture of the CPU with my phone (my eyes arent what they used to be).

The only way I could fix was to remove mobo and using good light, a fine pair of tweezers to very very gently push the pin back in line. Luckily it then posted fine and away I went.

So my suggestion would be to grab a magnify glass and check those pins.

Hello,

Have you find the solution for this issue Trihugger?

I have exactly (well almost) same build as you do Trihugger and I am having 55 error also whenever I insert Ram into A1 or A2 socket.
I have no bent CPU or CPU pins from Mobo.
Some people say that it could be faulty installation of the Cooler.. but i doubt that..

Funny thing is.. my build was working fine from the day one with both RAM sticks installed into A2 and B2 sockets for couple months and then one day without any changes made or physical damage to the PC it just froze...

Hopefully you guys have found the solution by now..

Cheers