cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum Hero X core voltages are insane?!!?

el_terrible
Level 8
Hey,

So I finally got a hold of an 8700K and really wanted to wait for the Formula to release, but I can't even find a date for the relase of it in Norway so I decided to go for a Hero X, I had the Hero VII in my previous build and was happy with it so why not..

But straight out of the box I started getting really really high temps while just playing games (80-90 celcius) and even high 60's-70's just in windows watchin youtube and at first I thought it was my new Noctua cooler that was faulty so I even RMA'd it and got a Corsair H100i v2, not even thinking about core voltages (I know it was dumb).. but then I got the same friggin bad temps with the H100i..... then I almost RMA'd my 8700K, but THEN I found out my Hero was pumping 1.412 V into my CPU by DEFAULT....... this is with the 0505 Bios (newest)... like what the hell Asus. I could probably run like way over 5GHz with that kind of voltage, something I'm not even interested in doing with my current setup.
Prime95 goes to 100 degrees in less than 10 minutes.. Assassins Creed Origins crashes after 10-30 minutes.. And my ambient temp is only 22 degrees at the moment (Winter in Norway).. Setting my voltage to 1.200 seems to have fixed everything, but still I am spending hours on this.. I usually don't really bother changing too much in the BIOS, because I trust the ROG team with this stuff and I don't want to break anything myself.. Why would they even do this?!?!? I usually love your stuff and have used Maximus motherboards for my last 4 builds now...

Sorry about the rant, but yeah......
61 REPLIES 61

OK so high FPS games Vcore will not exceed 1.248v but on desktop it does occasionally go to 1.29v. Any ideas what is doing that?

Tuff253 wrote:
OK so high FPS games Vcore will not exceed 1.248v but on desktop it does occasionally go to 1.29v. Any ideas what is doing that?

It will clock up under light loads, and down under heavier loads.