cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum Hero X core voltages are insane?!!?

el_terrible
Level 8
Hey,

So I finally got a hold of an 8700K and really wanted to wait for the Formula to release, but I can't even find a date for the relase of it in Norway so I decided to go for a Hero X, I had the Hero VII in my previous build and was happy with it so why not..

But straight out of the box I started getting really really high temps while just playing games (80-90 celcius) and even high 60's-70's just in windows watchin youtube and at first I thought it was my new Noctua cooler that was faulty so I even RMA'd it and got a Corsair H100i v2, not even thinking about core voltages (I know it was dumb).. but then I got the same friggin bad temps with the H100i..... then I almost RMA'd my 8700K, but THEN I found out my Hero was pumping 1.412 V into my CPU by DEFAULT....... this is with the 0505 Bios (newest)... like what the hell Asus. I could probably run like way over 5GHz with that kind of voltage, something I'm not even interested in doing with my current setup.
Prime95 goes to 100 degrees in less than 10 minutes.. Assassins Creed Origins crashes after 10-30 minutes.. And my ambient temp is only 22 degrees at the moment (Winter in Norway).. Setting my voltage to 1.200 seems to have fixed everything, but still I am spending hours on this.. I usually don't really bother changing too much in the BIOS, because I trust the ROG team with this stuff and I don't want to break anything myself.. Why would they even do this?!?!? I usually love your stuff and have used Maximus motherboards for my last 4 builds now...

Sorry about the rant, but yeah......
61 REPLIES 61

Raja@ASUS wrote:
You've already contacted service. Any more posts spamming the forum repeatedly to make things personal will be removed. You have been warned.

So, just because of that (besides, I hadn't got any reply from them in more than a week), you feel like you can clean your hands from it, right? No explanation whatsoever. Not bothering to tell us anything about the matter, and not even if you've reported it or not (or if you even can).

You're useless. Ban me if you want, like if it affects me in the slightest.

Dovakhan wrote:

You're useless. Ban me if you want, like if it affects me in the slightest.

Take some time away from the forum, to cool down.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Set svid behaviour to best case and disable mce if you want pure stock.

Hi again,

OK I tried this, I had to disable MCE manually rather than rely on clicking the no button as it reverts back to "Auto". I have everything set as default, XMP off (and on on the second test) best case setting on, CPU-z reports 1.34 - 1.37 volts and speeds are still reaching 4.7. Both speeds and vcore are fluctuating. On idle temps are still reaching high 60s low 70s. I'm using Hardware monitor to monitor temps. It seems to me those settings aren't actually doing anything. 😞

Tuff253 wrote:
Hi again,

OK I tried this, I had to disable MCE manually rather than rely on clicking the no button as it reverts back to "Auto". I have everything set as default, XMP off (and on on the second test) best case setting on, CPU-z reports 1.34 - 1.37 volts and speeds are still reaching 4.7. Both speeds and vcore are fluctuating. On idle temps are still reaching high 60s low 70s. I'm using Hardware monitor to monitor temps. It seems to me those settings aren't actually doing anything. 😞

Try this:

Load defaults
Disable mce
Set the ia a.c. and ia dc load line settings within the internal cpu power management menu to 0.01

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Try this:

Load defaults
Disable mce
Set the ia a.c. and ia dc load line settings within the internal cpu power management menu to 0.01

Leave SVID as is or best case? I'll try again and let you know.

Tuff253 wrote:
Leave SVID as is or best case? I'll try again and let you know.

Can leave svid on auto.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Can leave svid on auto.
Load defaults
Disable mce

Hi Raja,

With these settings I'm now peaking at 1.296v Vcore yet the core speed still manages to hit 4.7 on idle. Although I don't have a problem with this, I was expecting it to be intels spec at 4.3. Is this expected? Temperatures are much better, obviously.

Also what does i.a DC /AC do in terms of function and performance? For gaming, is this the ideal settings?

Thanks

Menthol
Level 14
With ASUS MCE all cores will hit 4.7, disabled it will do Intel spec, all core 4.3 one core 4.7 though you'll not notice unless you are monitoring it with software

Raja
Level 13
The vcore used and the core speed depends on the load. When tdp is breached, the cores should fall to a lower value. Thats assuming everthing is set as i stated.

Read back a few pages in this thread for a description of what the load line settings do.

OK cool I'll take a look. Under gaming load it's not exceeding 1.248v. Me thinks I should be happy with this.