cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum Hero X core voltages are insane?!!?

el_terrible
Level 8
Hey,

So I finally got a hold of an 8700K and really wanted to wait for the Formula to release, but I can't even find a date for the relase of it in Norway so I decided to go for a Hero X, I had the Hero VII in my previous build and was happy with it so why not..

But straight out of the box I started getting really really high temps while just playing games (80-90 celcius) and even high 60's-70's just in windows watchin youtube and at first I thought it was my new Noctua cooler that was faulty so I even RMA'd it and got a Corsair H100i v2, not even thinking about core voltages (I know it was dumb).. but then I got the same friggin bad temps with the H100i..... then I almost RMA'd my 8700K, but THEN I found out my Hero was pumping 1.412 V into my CPU by DEFAULT....... this is with the 0505 Bios (newest)... like what the hell Asus. I could probably run like way over 5GHz with that kind of voltage, something I'm not even interested in doing with my current setup.
Prime95 goes to 100 degrees in less than 10 minutes.. Assassins Creed Origins crashes after 10-30 minutes.. And my ambient temp is only 22 degrees at the moment (Winter in Norway).. Setting my voltage to 1.200 seems to have fixed everything, but still I am spending hours on this.. I usually don't really bother changing too much in the BIOS, because I trust the ROG team with this stuff and I don't want to break anything myself.. Why would they even do this?!?!? I usually love your stuff and have used Maximus motherboards for my last 4 builds now...

Sorry about the rant, but yeah......
61 REPLIES 61

marcopai
Level 7
Guys where can i set the VID? im pretty confused lol
i have this: bla bla bla rog this rog that heh

Raja
Level 13
I use level 5 or 6.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
I use level 5 or 6.

Ok thanks. Do you know what amount of overshoot each of these results in?

Also, the IA XX Load Line setting, what value does Auto result in? 0?

But why change the board my vid automatically?

I set in bios 1,360v adaptive, offset auto ia/dc 0.01*
Then i load in windows, in idle few seconds after start vid says 1,360 ok,
Under load linx or prime vid goes to 1,375 or 1,380

Ok i thougt i can never go under intel vid, so i changed to adaptive in Bios 1,380
Then load windows 1,380 under load 1,395
Where the is that offset 0,015 from?

I use llc4 ia/dc 0.01
Bios 0505, 0802 everything the same
I used skylake x before and there was working afaptive perfect with rampage vi, set voltage small amount above intel vid and load vid was maximum what i set in bios, but the hero x makes me crazy*

dnd123 wrote:
Ok thanks. Do you know what amount of overshoot each of these results in?

Also, the IA XX Load Line setting, what value does Auto result in? 0?

1) I'd have to measure to know for sure. On most boards/platforms, I find level 5 stays within reasonable bounds.
2) Auto is substantially higher than 0, and is affected by the SVID behavior option.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
1) I'd have to measure to know for sure. On most boards/platforms, I find level 5 stays within reasonable bounds.
2) Auto is substantially higher than 0, and is affected by the SVID behavior option.

Ok thanks. Sorry for more questions:

reasonable ~= won't fry your CPU?
so does SVID behaviour have any effect if you manually set IA Load Lines, eg to 0.01? ie does it affect more than just these two values?

dnd123 wrote:
Ok thanks. Sorry for more questions:

reasonable ~= won't fry your CPU?
so does SVID behaviour have any effect if you manually set IA Load Lines, eg to 0.01? ie does it affect more than just these two values?

'Reasonable' means it should be within Intel spec for overshoot.

Raja@ASUS wrote:

Sorry for asking again about IA DC/AC load line settings, but I would like to be sure to understand how these options work. Is it normal, please, that increasing the impedance leads to higher voltage. My knowledge in electronics is a bit old, but as far i as remember, this setting determines the slope of the straigth line in the (I,V) diagram. The DC load line would be for steady current variation whereas the AC load line would be for transient fluctuations (sorry if those are not the exact english words, but awkward translations). So, rising the DC load line should decrease the voltage delivered for a given current request, as Vcc=Vid - R*Icc. Rising the AC load line should decrease the voltage spikes and drops when the current requested changes quickly (start and end of heavy loads typicaly). But I observe exactly the contrary, and the raising the DC load line results in higher voltage under load. Is something wrong with my motherboard, or is my understanding of load line inexact ? Maybe the logical is different for voltage regulation of a CPU that it is for the feeding of a classical non-linear circuit ?

Intel, in their datasheet, only communicates on a max impedance of 2.4 mOhms, so a 240 value in BIOS, so that the VR fits the IA characteristics. Does it mean that any value under is safe ? I found that the value advised in this forum (0.01) causes unstability, and that a setting of 1 gives a balanced voltage between idle and load with LLC on 4, for the DC load line. For the AC load line, I have no clue, should it be the same as I read in an Intel technical doc for an outdated proc gen ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

AntonioL wrote:
Sorry for asking again about IA DC/AC load line settings, but I would like to be sure to understand how these options work. Is it normal, please, that increasing the impedance leads to higher voltage. My knowledge in electronics is a bit old, but as far i as remember, this setting determines the slope of the straigth line in the (I,V) diagram. The DC load line would be for steady current variation whereas the AC load line would be for transient fluctuations (sorry if those are not the exact english words, but awkward translations). So, rising the DC load line should decrease the voltage delivered for a given current request, as Vcc=Vid - R*Icc. Rising the AC load line should decrease the voltage spikes and drops when the current requested changes quickly (start and end of heavy loads typicaly). But I observe exactly the contrary, and the raising the DC load line results in higher voltage under load. Is something wrong with my motherboard, or is my understanding of load line inexact ? Maybe the logical is different for voltage regulation of a CPU that it is for the feeding of a classical non-linear circuit ?

Intel, in their datasheet, only communicates on a max impedance of 2.4 mOhms, so a 240 value in BIOS, so that the VR fits the IA characteristics. Does it mean that any value under is safe ? I found that the value advised in this forum (0.01) causes unstability, and that a setting of 1 gives a balanced voltage between idle and load with LLC on 4, for the DC load line. For the AC load line, I have no clue, should it be the same as I read in an Intel technical doc for an outdated proc gen ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

The IA load lines affect the VID the CPU requests for a given level of current. Due to resistive losses through the power plane, to maintain a target voltage as the current increases, the requested VID needs to be increased. It's important to understand the difference between VID and the actual voltage.

The values needed depend on the board (power plane impedance is often better - read as lower impedance - than Intel spec), the CPU model used, and the types of load placed on the system (certain AVX workloads consume a lot of power).

-Raja

Raja@ASUS wrote:
The IA load lines affect the VID the CPU requests for a given level of current. Due to resistive losses through the power plane, to maintain a target voltage as the current increases, the requested VID needs to be increased. It's important to understand the difference between VID and the actual voltage.

The values needed depend on the board (power plane impedance is often better - read as lower impedance - than Intel spec), the CPU model used, and the types of load placed on the system (certain AVX workloads consume a lot of power).

-Raja

Thank you very much, I understand now why delivered voltage increases with the DC impedance. Things work differently from what I thought. You don't really adjust the impedance of the power circuit and thus the resistive losses, but you set the supposed value of this impedance and the VID is adjusted consequently. So when the alleged impedance increases, VID also increases in order to compensate, and the resulting actual voltage follows.