cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum Hero X core voltages are insane?!!?

el_terrible
Level 8
Hey,

So I finally got a hold of an 8700K and really wanted to wait for the Formula to release, but I can't even find a date for the relase of it in Norway so I decided to go for a Hero X, I had the Hero VII in my previous build and was happy with it so why not..

But straight out of the box I started getting really really high temps while just playing games (80-90 celcius) and even high 60's-70's just in windows watchin youtube and at first I thought it was my new Noctua cooler that was faulty so I even RMA'd it and got a Corsair H100i v2, not even thinking about core voltages (I know it was dumb).. but then I got the same friggin bad temps with the H100i..... then I almost RMA'd my 8700K, but THEN I found out my Hero was pumping 1.412 V into my CPU by DEFAULT....... this is with the 0505 Bios (newest)... like what the hell Asus. I could probably run like way over 5GHz with that kind of voltage, something I'm not even interested in doing with my current setup.
Prime95 goes to 100 degrees in less than 10 minutes.. Assassins Creed Origins crashes after 10-30 minutes.. And my ambient temp is only 22 degrees at the moment (Winter in Norway).. Setting my voltage to 1.200 seems to have fixed everything, but still I am spending hours on this.. I usually don't really bother changing too much in the BIOS, because I trust the ROG team with this stuff and I don't want to break anything myself.. Why would they even do this?!?!? I usually love your stuff and have used Maximus motherboards for my last 4 builds now...

Sorry about the rant, but yeah......
61 REPLIES 61

el_terrible
Level 8
Am I the only one really strugeling with the 0802 ??? I can't play anything now, everything crashes in 10 minutes, PUBG, Assassins creed origins, cs go.... and its not because of temps now because they are great.. never even goes above 50c because my cpu never goes above 4.3 turbo with this bios...... I even bluescreened while playing PUBG

or can it actually be the new Windows 10 creator update??

I installed that aswell recently while having all these problems

Edit: I can run any diagnostic / benchmark just fine.. Aida64, Prime95, furmark, windows memory diagnostics etc etc, but as soon as I start an actual game from steam the game runs perfectly in the start then just crashes after 5-15 minutes.. it just crashes to desktop and asks me to send a report every single time

Atifan
Level 7
If I upgrade to Bios 0802, will my profiles be available? Or do I have to save them first on a stick?

Atifan wrote:
If I upgrade to Bios 0802, will my profiles be available? Or do I have to save them first on a stick?

It erases all profiles and starts your BIOS from scratch.. back them up to a drive first. Also, I wouldn't be so sure the same profiles and voltages will behave the same way in the 0802 bios since the SVID/LLC rules are changed... 0802 at full auto settings uses WAY less voltage than 0505.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Saved profiles cannot be used between different BIOS versions.

el_terrible
Level 8
Well I think I finally found the problem, XMP does not work on my G.Skill TridentZ 3600MHz CL15 (2x8 GB Dual channel) and yes they are on the QVL.
When I turned it to the default 2133MHz (CL 15 15 15 36) I was able to play Assassins Creed Origins for an hour with no problems (except my frames are now lower than they were of course) They do however pass every single test / benchmark I could throw at them like aida64, prime95 and windows memory diagnostics, but every time I tried to play games they would just crash to desktop after 5-20 minutes every single time.

I was able to run them on XMP on 0505, but then the heat on CPU became the problem of course since it was running on over 1.412 vcore volts..
Hopefully this will be fixed in a future update 🙂

Model: F4-3600C15D-16GTZ
Ean: 4719692009890
http://gskill.com/en/product/f4-3600c15d-16gtz

Raja
Level 13
Have you tried tuning the SA and IO voltages?

morph_
Level 11
I had intermittent issues posting with my Gskill 2x16gb 3466 on XMP.

Managed to resolve it by increasing dram voltage to 1.36v from 1.35v

Suggestions from other forums also said increasing vccio & vccsa to around 1.1-1.3v helps tooo.

Does this new bios mean the llc between each step is changed? i have to have mine on 6 in order to keep my system stable. i have my vcssa and vccio at 1.0 and 1.1, manual voltage 1.32 and is reported 1.312 no dips during load. my ram runs at the correct speed 3200mhz @ 1.35. Since i run manual i don't need to change the line in to 0.01 correct? thats only for adaptive?

morph_
Level 11
@Raja - I think I might have found the root cause of my Z370g's memory intermittent issues with XMP post issues... computer managed to get stuck again even after my latest changes.

In bios it showed the VRAM voltage was @ 1.2v even though It was set at 1.36 and after I tried to increase it to 1.37 it wouldn't boot as bios sitll only displayed 1.2v... after a few more boot cycles going in and out of the bios, it finally displayed the correct voltage to the memory, i closed the bios and it booted in...

I'm using the latest bios 0430, I suspect this could be some odd motherboard / bios issue not always reading/pushing the correct voltage for the DRAM even though its set. Hopefully this can be investigated and fixed some times it gets very time consuming ot boot in till the bios / mb recognises the voltage settings and actually applies it.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

When the system boots in safe mode because of an unsuccessful previous boot attempt the memory voltage will be set to the default value of 1.20V regardless of what voltage value is entered in the voltage field.