cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KISS Overclocking on Maximus X, 8700K to 5 GHz

Snakeyes
Level 11
Like quite a few others I used the der8auer YouTube video as an initial template to overclock my PC. Thanks to it I was able to get very stable 5.0 and 5.1 overclock. However, just for the hell of it I went into bios and loaded "optimized defaults" and then made some very simple adjustments. Primarily – SyncAll Cores at 50 with a VCore of 1.35. I also adjusted DRAM Frequency and set DRAM voltage to 1.4.
That's all the changes that were made.
The system booted fine and to my surprise sailed through Prime 95 and their heavily checked off AIDA64 System Stability Test. I admit I only ran these for a couple of hours.
The results were surprising since my 8700K (De-lidded) actually ran at even lower temperatures than the set up using der8auer's considerably more detailed YouTube instructions. The maximum temperature reached by any core was less than 61°C (thanks to the de-lidding) as against the original set up where the temperatures peak was closer to 67°.
Not in any way implying that this approach is preferable, but go figure.
NAME THE SANDWICH: – White Bread, Lots of Baloney, Russian dressing and served with a small pickle.?

Intel Core i7 8700K @5.1 Stable Delidded
Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
G skill TridentZ DDR4 ​4266 (PC4 34100)
Corsair HX1000i digital
EVGA 1070 GTX TiSuperclocked+
Samsung NVMe SSD 960 pro M. 2
Samsung 860 Pro
Watercooled with EK block radiator fans etc.

2 REPLIES 2

Deepcuts
Level 10
Most likely turbo speed was not maintained for long periods. Thus, lower temperatures.

Snakeyes
Level 11
You most probably right. I just found it interesting that a de-lidded CPU can be very forgiving allowing decent overclock's with little fine-tuning. Keep in mind I ran prime 95 for over 2 hours on this particular overclock.
NAME THE SANDWICH: – White Bread, Lots of Baloney, Russian dressing and served with a small pickle.?

Intel Core i7 8700K @5.1 Stable Delidded
Asus Maximus X Code

16 GB
G skill TridentZ DDR4 ​4266 (PC4 34100)
Corsair HX1000i digital
EVGA 1070 GTX TiSuperclocked+
Samsung NVMe SSD 960 pro M. 2
Samsung 860 Pro
Watercooled with EK block radiator fans etc.