cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue:rog maximus hero wifi mb

nosam1g
Level 7
Hello good day, im having a issue overclocking my ram on my maximus hero mb.. my ram was rated 4400mhz, and i enabled xmp but it does not make it passed post in either 4400 or 4200.. i can only get it to 4000mhz. i am very new to overclocking any tips can help.. my cpu is 9900k and gpu 2080ti not sure if that matters but yea my ram is the only thing ive overclocked thus far ..
i also went to asus website and downloaded abunch of the latest drivers.. update my chipset , but not sure how to update bios .. this is the command i get .This file has been renamed to M11HW.CAP. To use USB BIOS Flashback, copy M11HW.CAP to the root of your USB flash drive.

Press any key to continue . . .

Just flashed to new bios version now when i enter 4000mhz it states this
"Memory OK! succeeds in system booting! Enter BIOS setup menu and save the memory settings,
or visit ASUS website (www.asus.com) for latest BIOS version.
Press F1 to Run SETUP"

And now i cant run at 4000mhz wth im so lost

EDIT: Reverted back to 2133mhz .. just to get system to run.. then rebooted
went back into bios and turn AI Tweaker on Manual
Set it to XPM 1
Set ram to 4400mhz did not boot..
set to 4100mhz and its running .. not sure how to get to 4400mhz lol i dont want to break anything
13 REPLIES 13

ninezerofive wrote:
As a rule of thumb non-rgb rams overclock better than rgb ones.

In general I like your ram, unfortunately it's not the rams fault this time, it's the motherboard. Well I can't just blame motherboard alone it could be 80% Mobo 20%CPU fault.

I had a similar ram than your Corsair LPX only with 100 mhz more, 4500 19-19-19. Unfortunately it didn't do 4500 but I could run it at 4400 CL 17-18-18 on Gene so in my case it was the CPU that didn't allow to achieve 4500 Mhz, the IMC on it.

Next time I would advise you to check the motherboards supported RAM list first, before buying ram. The big flashy sign on the box 4400+ is quite a bit misleading.

P.S. You can try to return the RAM and get one that is supported by your motherboard. You will save some money too probably, as the 4400 I assume isn't cheap.

i dont know what u mean by supported ram list ..
the motherboard says support DDR4 4400mhz ..
so i went and typed that in, and that ram poped up , thats how it went down literally ..

here is the ram i have
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/vengeance-lpx-black/p/CMK16GX4M2F4400C19#ta...

what do the timings mean
15-15-15-36

i havent done anything besides turning on xmp .. then choosing my overclock speed.. im sure i can do some more tweaking to get even more somehow, but even then 4000mhz feels crazy fast in games

nosam1g wrote:
i dont know what u mean by supported ram list ..
the motherboard says support DDR4 4400mhz ..
so i went and typed that in, and that ram poped up , thats how it went down literally ..

here is the ram i have
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/vengeance-lpx-black/p/CMK16GX4M2F4400C19#ta...

what do the timings mean
15-15-15-36

When you google your motherboard : Maximus XI Hero
You will get a link to Asus web page, top right corner is button "SUPPORT"
When you open that press "CPU / Memory Support"
Next "Memory /Device Support"
and open :

ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_HERO_SERIES_Memory_QVL

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_HERO/ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_HERO_SERIES_Memory_...

That's all the ram that is supported by the motherboard

Pay attendion to the last colums - 1/2/4 Dimms

As you can see that highest speed rams are only supported in 4 DIMM mode

P.S. Hope that clear things up, ask away if you have more questions.

P.S.S. This is default memory profile :

SPD Latency 15-15-15-36
SPD Speed 2133MHz
SPD Voltage 1.2V

What your memory will run without applying manual or xmp overclock

when i ran asus suite optimization ... i got it to work , but i got this after the overclock
Your cpu is severely limited due to temperature , and it is not advisable to run at its rated specifications. Check your cpu cooler or your ambient temperature.
My cpu temps are always 25-33 C idle and 50 under load .. not sure what they mean.. i have a h150i Cooler on it ?

ninezerofive wrote:
When you google your motherboard : Maximus XI Hero
You will get a link to Asus web page, top right corner is button "SUPPORT"
When you open that press "CPU / Memory Support"
Next "Memory /Device Support"
and open :

ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_HERO_SERIES_Memory_QVL

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_HERO/ROG_MAXIMUS_XI_HERO_SERIES_Memory_...

That's all the ram that is supported by the motherboard

Pay attendion to the last colums - 1/2/4 Dimms

As you can see that highest speed rams are only supported in 4 DIMM mode

P.S. Hope that clear things up, ask away if you have more questions.

P.S.S. This is default memory profile :

SPD Latency 15-15-15-36
SPD Speed 2133MHz
SPD Voltage 1.2V

What your memory will run without applying manual or xmp overclock

so i purchased this ram , ill sell these corsair ones ..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CYPDM63/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

these seem to have ok speeds .. main goal to run at 4133

also when i install this ram , do i manually change it to the timings from the ram listed.