cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel Rapid Storage Technology 16.7.7.1023

katlani
Level 9
Hi,

Have anyone installed this version and can advise if has any issue with Windows Explorer process memory usage, increasing to an abnormal amount (over 2gb already)?

Version 16.7.7.1023
2018/11/02 27.36 MBytes
Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver software
Improve system stability.
NOTICE: Intel Rapid Storage Technology utility version is 16.7.0.1009

I suspect this driver since it happened since i updated on previous build or installed cleanly on my new 1809 build.
Would be nice to know if its either this driver or not, so i can rebuild with previous driver.

Thanks in advance.
436 Views
17 REPLIES 17

katlani
Level 9
Have anyone actually tried this installment?
I have opened this thread on this forum just to get more attention thought actually own a PRIME Z370-A motherboard.

Once reverted to previous version, issue does not seem to be reproducible anymore, so I'm wondering wether this version was wrongly put on the PRIME Z370-A motherboard page and it's not compatible, or there is a general issue with this version, either from Intel's or ASUS packaging.

I also noticed the path of the file when its linked to PRIME motherboards, its under ROG_STRIX-H370-I-GAMING but that could be due to ASUS saving on space, rather than duplicating the file for every motherboard.

Thanks.

Could someone lay out in simple steps what to do to get this 16GB Optane stick working on ROG Maximus XI? The windows install has current drivers, RAID with Optane is set up in BIOS, Windows app clearly states Optane is not installed. Tried both m.2 slots. Optane is one of few reasons I chose this board, and I LOVE ASUS, but I give up.

FLeX_yo
Level 7
katlani wrote:
Have anyone installed this version and can advise if has any issue with Windows Explorer process memory usage, increasing to an abnormal amount (over 2gb already)?


Hi katlani!

I had the exact same problem as you with this version of Intel Rapid Storage Technology. My explorer.exe had up to 2 GB RAM usage and abnormally high CPU usage.

Luckily, I found a workaround for the issue. According to a thread on the Intel forums it's caused by a bug in the Shell Extension that is installed by IRST. To resolve it, just follow these steps:

1. Press Win+X
2. Click Run and type "appwiz.cpl"
3. Find "Intel Optane Pinning Explorer Extensions" and uninstall it.

Now your system should be back to normal.

katlani
Level 9
Thanks.. i'll stick with previous version for now.. is it destined to be fixed on the next version?

katlani
Level 9
I can now see this version is no longer on the PRIME Z370-A motherboard page, though a new one was added:

Version 16.8.0.1000
2018/12/28 29.34 MBytes
Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver software
Improve system stability.

Have anyone tried it?
Is it not giving the memory leak issue anymore?

katlani wrote:
I can now see this version is no longer on the PRIME Z370-A motherboard page, though a new one was added:

Version 16.8.0.1000
2018/12/28 29.34 MBytes
Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver software
Improve system stability.

Have anyone tried it?
Is it not giving the memory leak issue anymore?


Hi,

You can find changelog, release notes, drivers only here : https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?105343-DRIVERS-Intel-Chipset-Ethernet-iGPU-MEI-SATA-(Z170-...

JustinThyme
Level 13
Honestly if you are using the drivers on ASUS pages they are all antiquated, by a lot!!
Get the drivers from the vendors if you want the latest. In this case the Intel Website or winraid always keeps a page with these drivers up to date (where I get mine)*



“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Honestly if you are using the drivers on ASUS pages they are all antiquated, by a lot!!
Get the drivers from the vendors if you want the latest. In this case the Intel Website or winraid always keeps a page with these drivers up to date (where I get mine)*


Intel no longer provides the RST drivers! Only an install pdf. They say because of vendor customizations, to go to their website for drivers.
Thanks Intel.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case