cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel ME update 12.0.22.1310 - error: Please check MEI Driver is installed

Eguun
Level 9
Good morning,

I am experiencing difficulties updating my Asus Maximus XI Extreme using the Intel ME link provided in the download page:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-EXTREME/HelpDesk_BIOS/

This update program should bring ME to version 12.0.22.1310

I have already updated the Bios to Version 0805

When running the ME update program as admin, I am receiving this error message:
Warning!!!
Please check MEI Driver is installed.

I confirm indeed the ME is not updated: the system is running version 12.0.6.1120

Could you please help me find a way forward?

Cheers

Full config details:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME / Bios version 0805 (latest at time of writing post)
Memory: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB (SKU: CMD16GX4M2E4000C19)
Graphic card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 / driver version 419.35 (latest at time of writing post)
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits / version 1809 (latest at time of writing post)
8 REPLIES 8

Eguun
Level 9
I managed to manually update the ME firmware by doing the following:
- opened elevated command line
- navigate to MEUpdateTool_12.0.22.1310_T\FW folder
- typed command: FWUpdLcl64.exe -F ME.bin
- reboot

System is now at 12.0.22.1310

After update, the ASUS GUI for ME update still doesn't work (same error popup as before).

Now looking into the text of the ASUS support download page I wonder exactly what they meant with this:
*We suggest you update ME Driver to the latest Version 12.0.22.1310 simultaneously.

So it seems there are 2 updates to perform: one for the firmware, and another one for the driver?

Windows device manager indicates my driver version at: 1904.12.0.1208

Is there some drivers I should be updating too?
Could you please share what's your driver version if you made this ME update properly (ie: using the ASUS GUI update program)?

Thanks

katlani
Level 9
The driver version on your motherboard page is 1828.12.0.1152, though it might register as 1904.12.0.1208 on device manager.
I don't understand ASUS statement also, as usually ME FW updates come as part of the BIOS bundle (well, at least up until now).

Not sure why you are trying to re-run the GUI updater if you have already done so manually.
You can check if your FW update was done in UEFI welcome screen, as ME version will be there, you just need to remember what it was before 🙂

Although you have stated:

So, i guess you have somehow checked that already.

katlani wrote:
The driver version on your motherboard page is 1828.12.0.1152, though it might register as 1904.12.0.1208 on device manager.
I don't understand ASUS statement also, as usually ME FW updates come as part of the BIOS bundle (well, at least up until now).

Not sure why you are trying to re-run the GUI updater if you have already done so manually.
You can check if your FW update was done in UEFI welcome screen, as ME version will be there, you just need to remember what it was before 🙂

Although you have stated:

So, i guess you have somehow checked that already.

Thank you for your response.

Why I tried to run the program again once FW was manually updated?
Well I'm puzzled as to why I couldn't plainly update via the program provided by ASUS in the first place.
So I figured maybe having the ME brought to latest version would have solved the issue raised by the error popup ... but it doesn't.

I checked the ME FW version with the command line, using the update tool:
FWUpdLcl64.exe -FWVER

Actually, device manager showed that driver version you mention, starting with 18, but when clicking on the "update driver" button, it searched online and found updated drivers and brought the number up.
No perceptible difference whatsoever 🙂

Do you know why this error popup was raised in the first place?

Thanks

Eguun wrote:
Thank you for your response.

Why I tried to run the program again once FW was manually updated?
Well I'm puzzled as to why I couldn't plainly update via the program provided by ASUS in the first place.
So I figured maybe having the ME brought to latest version would have solved the issue raised by the error popup ... but it doesn't.

I checked the ME FW version with the command line, using the update tool:
FWUpdLcl64.exe -FWVER

Actually, device manager showed that driver version you mention, starting with 18, but when clicking on the "update driver" button, it searched online and found updated drivers and brought the number up.
No perceptible difference whatsoever 🙂

Do you know why this error popup was raised in the first place?

Thanks

No clue for why its erroring out, perhaps yet another fubar installation from ASUS. Again, I would expect an ME FW update to come bundled within a BIOS version as it usually does.

As for the driver, I wouldn't recommend updating the driver from Windows Update (that's what the update button does, goes to Windows Update Catalog) as driver updates better come from the vendor itself (ASUS) due to customizations, signoffs, and testing.

The only driver I update regulary and dont wait for the ASUS one is NVIDIA driver, due to massive latency in release.

Eguun
Level 9
Many thanks Katlani, your input helped a lot!

I went to the download page of ASUS to download the Chipset component of Version 1828.12.0.1152 (which includes, in its description, the Intel Management Engine Interface).
I installed it, which -I suspect- leveled my drivers to the plane ASUS expected.

From there, I was able to flawlessly run the ASUS ME FW program: there was no longer the error popup.
Yes, obviously my system's firmware was already updated, but I find it important to be capable of updating using the standard programs released by the manufacturer.
So now I'm back on the rails.

As conclusion, it seems this error message simply originated because in the first place, my Intel Management Engine components where updated via Windows Update and using instead ASUS elements enabled ASUS software to run: I never installed drivers from the ASUS support page, as all elements were recognized straight from Windows after install.

Many thanks, this is resolved.
Maybe it will help someone else facing this issue

katlani
Level 9
NP.

I just tried this myself on my PRIME Z370-A (different ME version update is available) by using the GUI.
After it updated, i tried to run it again even, thinking it would wisely tell me its already updated, but it just re-updated again.

Anyway, checked the version in UEFI welcome screen and was indeed updated.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator

Hello,

You need the Management Engine driver installed or else the system isn’t able to address the firmware update. Install the driver and reboot, the. Rerun the ME firmware update tool.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/03CHIPSET/DRV_MEI_Intel_Cons_RKL_TP_W11_64_V212010001085_20211...

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

pwuk
Level 7

Hi there,
I have this exact issue too.  I would really welcome any assistance to resolve it.
I have a Maximus Z790 Hero motherboard with ME showing as 16.1.25.2020

The latest version is 16.1.27.2176 but on trying to install this I get the same message "Please check MEI Driver is installed."
If anyone can advise, I'd be grateful.