cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to install Windows 7 x64bit on Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 motherboards ?

chispy
Level 8
Good evening gents , anyone have windows 7 USB drivers for Z390 motherboards ? I have spent the last 3 days trying to install windows 7 x64bit on my Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 , until today that i finally manage to get a very old PS2 mouse and PS2 keyboard and was able to transplant a Z370 windows 7 installation to my Z390 MXIHero. The PS2 mouse works flawlessly but the PS2 keyboard it's kind of wonky , sometimes it will be detected and sometimes it will not 😕 . But at least i am able to run windows 7 on the new Intel Z390 chipset. i'm restricted to using either a PS2 mouse or a PS2 keyboard because there is only one PS2 conector at the back of the Asus MXI Hero Z390. So for screenies and saved files i will have to use a spare HDD to transfer those files for later submissions to hwbot as i do not have USB ports working for my flash drives 

The only thing that is not working on the Z390 mobo on windows 7 is the USB ports 😞 , not a single usb 2.0 -3.0 - 3.1 works on the motherboard , i have tried all kinds of usb drivers and so far none works on this Z390 boards , everything else installs correctly. Please if you have found some windows 7 USB drivers for Z390 post here or a fix , i and a lot of people would appreciate the help.
16 REPLIES 16

Menthol wrote:
Where there's a will 🙂

I checked HWBOT forums, someone recommended using a USB 2.0 pcie riser card, I tried using the USB 2.0 ports on the motherboard using a pcie bracket without success, why it didn't see my SATA SSD using PS2 keyboard I haven't looked into it any further yet

I haven't cracked any hardware lately, I have been more reserved since I have retired and living on a lot less income than when I was working

Hi there Menthol and everyone else , thank you for trying to help and your input , i manage to get windows 7 x64bit correctly installed and fully working on my Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 , it's a painful slow process but it works 100% for me. You will need a pci-e to usb expansion card with at least 2 usb ports , a native PS2 mouse and a native PS2 keyboard. You will need to use some software to do this = ASUS EZ Installer ( download from the Asus Strix Z370 support page ) - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/ , Gigabyte Windows USB Installation Tool ( download from the Gigabyte Aorus Ultra gaming Z370 support page ) - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-ULTRA-GAMING-20-OP-rev-10#support-dl-utility follow the instructions on this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APcboOpP4TY and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=385&v=8VTC4k6SLWY. A windows 7 x64bit usb installation flash drive , Rufus. ** Follow the videos and also you need to inject those asus drivers , eg. you need to use both utilities Gigabyte and Asus to inject all the drivers to be able to install windows 7.

After you finally install windows 7 , install the drivers for your pci-e to usb expansion card with your PS2 mouse from other HD OS installation and that's it 🙂 a fully working windows 7 x64bit , now you can use those 2 usb ports to use your usb keyboard and usb mouse * Go rip some benchmarks on windows 7 for hwbot 🙂 , remember to save yourself an image with acronis or other software for re-installation if you ever need to re-install windows 7 again. , back up OS save image.

Important note * The usb ports of the Z390 motherboards do not have windows 7 support eg. No drivers exist for windows 7 , only windows 10 as this is a brand new chipset with all the usb included on that new intel Z390 chipset , blame microsoft and Intel for this end of support of windows 7.

https://imgur.com/POUxZWE

Menthol wrote:
Where there's a will 🙂

I checked HWBOT forums, someone recommended using a USB 2.0 pcie riser card, I tried using the USB 2.0 ports on the motherboard using a pcie bracket without success, why it didn't see my SATA SSD using PS2 keyboard I haven't looked into it any further yet

I haven't cracked any hardware lately, I have been more reserved since I have retired and living on a lot less income than when I was working
Those days are coming too soon for me as well. I've got about 10 years to go, but that will be gone before I know it. I've got to quit spending so much money on PC hardware and benching so I can enjoy my retirement without living like a pauper.
Wraith // EVGA Z690 Dark K|NGP|N | 13900K | RTX 4090 Suprim | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @8200 | SuperNOVA 1600 P2 | HC-500A Chiller | MO-RA3 360 || DG-86
Banshee // ROG Z690 Apex | 13900KF | RTX 3090 K|INGP|N | 32GB DDR5 Hynix A-DIE @ 6800 | Corsair RM122x SHIFT | XT-45 NOVA || 5000D Airflow
Half-Breed // Precision 17 7720 | 7920HQ (BGA filth) | Quadro P5000 16GB (MXM) | 32GB DDR4 || Grade A Off-Lease Refurb

HiVizMan
Level 40
Age is relentless Menthol it catches up with all of us my friend so I hear you. Still see that you are on top of your game looking at the Realbench leader board.

But this sport is expensive and does not help that the price of hardware has increased to silly money.

I recall that the top enthusiast CPU was under $900 and a top VGA for benching was $600 maybe $700 if you wanted it before release. Bloody hell that has changed.

Ram was always expensive but still...
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Menthol
Level 14
Ya I remember spending more for a memory kit than for the motherboard and CPU combined but it is what it is my friend

HiVizMan
Level 40
chispy thank you for posting how to install a Win7 OS.

Have added to your rep.

Nice one mate.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
chispy thank you for posting how to install a Win7 OS.

Have added to your rep.

Nice one mate.

Glad i could help , enjoy it 🙂 ! and thanks for the rep.

Menthol
Level 14
I have a PS2 mouse and pcie USB card coming today, I will try a Win 7 install again.

I remember not being able to run Catzilla on X299 boards and discovered that I had to install Chipset and MEI drivers from M IX driver disk to get it to work

did a fresh install of Win 7 on my R6Apex,
Disabled updates
Installed .net 4 or 4.6 not sure
Installed chipset and MEI from my M9Apex driver disk
chipset ver. 10.1.1.38
MEI ver. 11.6.0.1026
Vid driver
After Burner
Catzilla working

Any newer drivers and Catzilla would fail