cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero X M.2 heat shield

will_s
Level 7
On the Hero you have 2 M.2 connections available and the top one has a shield. Now can that shield be put on the bottom M.2 slot ? It will be used on a 960 EVO M.2 drive

I have a Aorus 1080ti and it gets bit to hot for my liking and the backplate is hot to touch. Now that backplate will be very close to the top M.2 slot so I would prefer to use the one on the bottom right. With 1 1/2 of my 3 input fans inputting air over and under this slot ( have actually upped the bottom fan speed ) on current motherboard I get 43C temp on my Samsung 950 m.2. Dont even want to try it on my top slot.....actually maybe the M.2 cooler on my Aorus Gaming 7 may fit over the bottom one.

So questions are :
1/ Will the heat shield fit the bottom M.2 slot ?
2/ What temps do the M.2 drive produce in the top slot using the heat shield?
will
8 REPLIES 8

el_terrible
Level 8
1. sorry no idea, never tried.

2. My samsung 960 EVO 1tb goes to a maximum of 52c when benchmarking / stress testing, when idling / gaming / browsing (normal use) it stays around 35-42c in the top slot with the heat shield installed.

My computer is water cooled though (CPU and GPU), so my airflow is actually pretty bad because I have a big radiator in the front blocking a lot of the airflow on the non water cooled components.

Menthol
Level 14
1. No it can't, there is another thread where this was attempted and failed, you can search the forum for this thread
2. There is an included fan bracket that can be mounted for the bottom M.2 slot for active cooling
3. I connected a 40mm Noctua PWM fan and just set it on top of my Video card in front of the top M.2 heatsink and reduced 960 Pro temps 5 to 10 degrees at idle alone. my Video card is AIO cooled and runs very cool
4. The included fan bracket with a not included 40 to 50mm fan, which is designed for the bottom M.2 location can probably be mounted for the top M.2 location as it connects with a motherboard mounting screw
The heatsink on these boards is the best I have seen but some kind of airflow is required if temps are a concern and #4 above is the best option for cooling and aesthetics

will_s
Level 7
thank you gentlemen and happy new year

Just want some confirmation on what fan to get for the bottom M.2 location
will

Menthol
Level 14
I believe any 50x10mm slim fan will work, it is difficult to find a PWN fan that size, I have a couple Noise Blocker X51, not PWN but cable is sleeved, even full speed it's can't be heard over AIO and case fans. The fan I set on top of my Video card is a Noctua 40x20mm, PWN, the width allowed setting it on top of the Video card
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083A0CBG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071W93333/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

will_s
Level 7
have found some noctua fans from my vendor but they are that horrible colour and my case is set up to look pretty nice with leds etc...to be honest nice is in the eye of the beholder. Will check those fans on Amazon out.........I do recall I had a small fan that use to set on top of some Corsair memory but dont know if I still have it. Anyway will check those Amazon links

Have looked and found an interesting pic of the hero IX with the fan holder and fan.....it looks like the holder actually covers part of the connections underneath

will

and here is a better view

will

Menthol
Level 14
That is the 3D printed fan bracket and may be board specific, you download the file and have it printed unless you have access to a 3D printer, there are a couple threads about these in this forum

will_s
Level 7
I thought I read it came with the motherboard.....or saw it on a review

so I guess its not this

1 x 3D printing mount package

Well wont have to worry about a fan now.............will just put a fan in bottom of case and that should give plenty of airflow and the good thing is I brough a fan cover a while back that will stop cables contacting the blades
will