cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP Overclocking an "Asus Maximus XI Extreme" + 9900k 5.1 or 5.2 but not stable

Fraizer
Level 9
HELP Overclocking an "Asus Maximus XI Extreme" + 9900k 5.1 or 5.2 but not stable

Hello

Please any one know well this Bios motherboard settings in overclocking to have the best stable OC ?

i have this setup:

- 9900k oc to 5.1 or 5.2 but not stable at the moment (i just delid it, i will normaly install it in direct die without the IHS)
- Asus Maximus XI Extreme
- 4x 8gb G. Skill 4266
- 2x NVMe 970 Pro 1gb (will set in RAID 0)
- an old Titan black (non pascal but older) (when i will have money will buy an rtx 2080)
- Enermax Platimax DF 1200W PSU

- watercooling system with an MO-RA3 Pro radiator 8x180 Silverstone (i dont install yet my custom watercooling)

thank you for you help
8 REPLIES 8

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
What are your current settings? Are you trying for those values with or without XMP applied?

Not all CPU can achieve those ratios, and it depends on the workload.

1) Revert to optimised defaults

2) Set ratio to sync all / 5.1

3) Under digi+ set LLC6

4) Set Adaptive Mode / Additional Turbo Voltage 1.35v

Increase or decrease accordingly and test with ASUS Realbench & XTU (independently). 1.4-1.43v can often be needed, however, as already mentioned not all CPU can obtain those speeds.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Fraizer
Level 9
Hello Silent

i reset all settings to default for the moment waiting great overclock instructiosn like you.

i follow this tutorial from Der8auer he have the same motherboard and same cpu and like me its delied (mine even is in direct-die whithout IHS). But in his tutorial i cant put like him the curent max voltage to 200%.. i can only put 140%... or is because my motherboard have a problem or i have the last bios and him the version before... or he activate the LN2 jumper who open this 200% when i am blocked at 140% max..

here is his video, he start the Manual OC at exactly "9:00min" (normaly my link will start at this moment) if you can please regarding this tell me what to put exactly.. will be great. (i think i have Good memory to be in XMP ?)

https://youtu.be/95Ujni7-fVM?t=540

on his video he dont talk about other settings areas can you please tell what to do with:

- is better to put on cpu settings : "MAX" and not Turbo ? (in my old OC 4770K it was like that Max non turbo.. dont know if its better..)
- can i totaly disable all the Ctates energy ?
- can i totaly disable the intel speedstep ?

any things i can do in bios to optimise the performances ? (in this case i dont mind to draw more ennergy)

+ i have an issue on this motherboard i dont know if its a bug but when i turn off the computer the led ligh of the motherboard stay ON, and i have too the USB (i guess ?) the USB On too because my PC Case (alienware) have originaly Leds and they stay ON when i turn the computer Off.

Thank you so much for your support

lowmotion
Level 9

- can i totaly disable all the Ctates energy ?
- can i totaly disable the intel speedstep ?

Yes

First: dont use XMP and dont set the memory. You have to test the cpu for stability and than you can hunt for the best memory setting.
2nd: my 9900k wont do more than 5.0. Same Setup like yours. Why? The guide from der8auer is for their cpus. The pretestet cpus will do 5ghz with avx offset and lots of vcore. Its their safe settings for angry customers. You should try 5ghz with heavy load. The current powerlimt was changed with the latest bios from 200% to 140%.

Fraizer
Level 9
hi lowmotion, i know that 🙂 my cpu handle the 5.1 and 5.2ghz but instability because i dont put right value and mix with other setting tutorials.. i dont have knowledge about that and this value of 200 i dont have on this bis version so is a mess.
this why i am waiting an answer of Silent regarding that and my other questions 🙂

Fraizer
Level 9
please no body ?

need your help Please

i delid (clean not like what we can see from youtuber bad delid with scratch, and solder still on it when they put back the ihs...) 3 weeks ago my 9900k and do an direct die but i wait perfect OC setting to make good test

@5.2 look at the voltage, and I have very limited knowledge when it comes to overclocking. Hit the Silicon Lottery.

donnyboi wrote:
@5.2 look at the voltage, and I have very limited knowledge when it comes to overclocking. Hit the Silicon Lottery.

Wanna try Prime 95 version 26.6 with no AVX for stability ?
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D