cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me OC my 8700k to 5ghz for a noob

KillaBandit
Level 7
Here is my build below. I would like to see 5ghz. I have tried, and seen them core temps hit 100c with maximum heat test of prime95, and backed off. That was when I tried 1.35v and watching a youtube video discussed here before with settings. I am running at stock and 1.25v right now and stable to keep it cool till I figure this out. I know the Asus boards have a tendency to push too much V through the memory and cpu. So would like to get 5ghz, and have it not so hot either if thats possible. I am not delid. XMP is enabled for 3200.

Since I am a noob, and not very good with Asus boards, please tell me where to go to adjust the settings and what to adjust too.

CPU-Z validate. https://valid.x86.fr/levw0v

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QYDXP3 Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QYDXP3/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($346.89 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($147.49 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X CODE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($298.38 @ Amazon)

Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($191.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($289.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card

Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.89 @ OutletPC)

Case Fan: NZXT - Aer RGB120 61.4 CFM 120mm Fan ($26.79 @ SuperBiiz)

Monitor: Dell - U3415W 34.0" 3440x1440 60Hz Monitor ($613.00 @ Amazon)

Keyboard: Corsair - K70 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard

Mouse: Logitech - G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Optical Mouse ($103.90 @ Amazon)

Other: NZXT AC-HPL03-10 HUE+ Extension Kit ($20.77 @ Newegg Business)

Other: EVGA 100-CW-1300-B9 Power Supply Cable Set ($78.39 @ Amazon)

Other: NZXT Internal USB Hub ($22.02 @ Amazon)

Other: NZXT HUE+ & Aer RGB140 Fans Bundle Pack RGB 2x 140mm Aer Fans Included ($77.39 @ Adorama)
27 REPLIES 27

Menthol wrote:
will_s, sounds like you have an AVX offset of -3, RealBench Ver. 2.56 uses AVX

yes.....that was in the video from der8auer from which I made these notes

Asus Mulicore Enhancement Disabled
AVX Instruction Ratio Negative Offset 3
CPU Core Ratio Sync All Cores
Core Ratio Limit 50 ( have it at 48 )
CPU SVID Support Disable

External Digi+ Power Control and that has Load Line Calibartion and set to Level 6

Internal CPU Power Management

Long Duration 4095
Short Duration 4095

then go to CPU Core/Cache Current Limit Max 255.50 (type in 555555 to get it to go to max)

MIn CPU Cache 42
Max CPU Cache 42

BCLK Aware Adaptive Voltage Disable
CPU Core/Cache Voltage Manual Mode
CPU Core Voltage Override 1.350 ( have it at 1.32 I think )

Then go to Asus Overclocking Profile and save these settings

From ASUS MAXIMUS X HERO Overclocking Test and Guide by der8auer

Prime 95 26.6 no avx Number of torture tests to run 12

Change Min FFT to 1344 and max to 1344

Check FFT's in place

Just gave it a hour on Prime 95 and max temp was 90C

Question : voltage produces the heat but does setting the Overclock say to 4800 over 4900 have any effect on the heat ? I know you need enough voltage to make it stable and yes very new to o/cing
will

Menthol
Level 14
Yes higher overclock will increase heat generated as it will pull more amperage

These how to overclock Video's, my overclock settings Video's etc. have good information especially for beginners trying to get more performance from there systems, one needs to be aware that every system has different capabilities and different characteristics however so slightly that may be. Requiring system specific fine tuning

These video's are a generic starting point that should work with any CPU, I would say the -3 offset is a safety buffer for CPU's that may not be capable of the higher clock without a higher vcore which would generate more heat than the cooling can remove

So until one fine tunes the needed settings for there particular system characteristics it will not operate to it's fullest capabilities

will_s
Level 7
thanks for that, to be honest I dont need extra performance as that Intel Boost takes it high so just did the F5 and then XMP

but like many, we like to play around with things but I have 2 PC's and want to keep one purring along................the K6 with the i5 8600 seems to o/c nicely and the temps are down from the i7 87ooK when stress testing ...could be less cores less heat ???

But thanks for your input Menthol, appreciated by me and many others in this forum
will

KillaBandit
Level 7
I started to have my PC lock up hard recently, where no mouse or numlock light would do anything. I didn't have it OC'd any more, and only had the memory to XMP 3200. I reset it all and it's been fine since. Not sure why that started to happen. My temps were all fine. I may try Will's settings this weekend again to see if I can get the machine to be stable. I'll report back then.

will_s
Level 7
they are not my settings but from a youtube vid by de8auer but as turbo boost goes up to 4.7 anyway I am not sure is the benefit there
will

el_terrible
Level 8
I pretty much use the settings from der8auers youtube video.. Except I run mine at sync all cores 49 because I had some crashes at 50.

avx negative offset 2
manual vcore 1.3
LLC level 5

my realbench scores are around 160.000
cinebench scores around 1600

I had a lot of problems getting my ram to run at XMP though, found out I had to up the voltage to 1.4 (from the normal 1.35 that XMP normally uses) to get it stable at 3600mhz cl15-15-15-35.

I delidded my cpu and I have water cooling (EKWB) so it pretty much stays around 60-65c under full stress tests.

OldMike65
Level 8
Well everyone seems to have a different method to run @5.0 I see. 🙂 So here are mine. I NEVER use Adaptive Mode ....EVER!!! I have run lots of benchmarking apps on another forum and get very good results. Heavy benchmarking, I use Manual mode. Normal OC @5.0 OFFSET works the Best, and is very Stable. My chip is delidded & Binned. Watercooled also.
Below is a text file showing some of my main settings.

Ai Overclock Tuner [XMP]
XMP [XMP DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34-1.35V]
BCLK Frequency [100.9000] <----------> Put this @100.000
ASUS MultiCore Enhancement [Auto]
SVID Behavior [Auto]
AVX Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset [0] <-------runs fine at 0
CPU Core Ratio [Sync All Cores] <------------
1-Core Ratio Limit [50]
2-Core Ratio Limit [50]
3-Core Ratio Limit [50]
4-Core Ratio Limit [50]
5-Core Ratio Limit [50]
6-Core Ratio Limit [50]
BCLK Frequency : DRAM Frequency Ratio [Auto]
DRAM Odd Ratio Mode [Enabled]
DRAM Frequency [DDR4-3228MHz]
Xtreme Tweaking [Disabled]
TPU [TPU II] <---- Mine is water cooled.
CPU SVID Support [Disabled] <-------------------------- Turn this OFF
CPU Core/Cache Current Limit Max. [255.50]
Ring Down Bin [Auto]
Min. CPU Cache Ratio [43] <-----Try these settings IF your @ 5.0
Max CPU Cache Ratio [47] < ---- See Above...
BCLK Aware Adaptive Voltage [Auto]
CPU Core/Cache Voltage [Offset Mode] <------------------------- Do NOT USE Adaptive Mode!!!!!
- Offset Mode Sign [+]
- CPU Core Voltage Offset [0.210] <------------------------ Try this to start with, your chip might require higher
DRAM Voltage [1.3500]
CPU VCCIO Voltage [Auto]
CPU System Agent Voltage [Auto]
PLL Termination Voltage [Auto]
PCH Core Voltage [Auto]
CPU Standby Voltage [Auto]

OldMike65 wrote:
Well everyone seems to have a different method to run @5.0 I see. 🙂 So here are mine. I NEVER use Adaptive Mode ....EVER!!! I have run lots of benchmarking apps on another forum and get very good results. Heavy benchmarking, I use Manual mode. Normal OC @5.0 OFFSET works the Best, and is very Stable. My chip is delidded & Binned. Watercooled also.

Ai Overclock Tuner [XMP]
SVID Behavior [Auto]
1-Core Ratio Limit [50]
2-Core Ratio Limit [50]
3-Core Ratio Limit [50]
4-Core Ratio Limit [50]
5-Core Ratio Limit [50]
6-Core Ratio Limit [50]
Ring Down Bin [Auto]
CPU Core/Cache Voltage [Offset Mode] <------------------------- Do NOT USE Adaptive Mode!!!!!
- Offset Mode Sign [+]
- CPU Core Voltage Offset [0.210] <------------------------ Try this to start with, your chip might require higher
DRAM Voltage [1.3500]
CPU VCCIO Voltage [Auto]
PCH Core Voltage [Auto]

Why do you have everything input manually but use TPU II? I thought TPU auto overvolts/overclocks etc.

Also how is your VCCIO and System Agent Voltage? I noticed this board overvolts, I set mine back down to 1.0v and 1.1v for 3200 ram.

1ntel wrote:
Why do you have everything input manually but use TPU II? I thought TPU auto overvolts/overclocks etc.

Also how is your VCCIO and System Agent Voltage? I noticed this board overvolts, I set mine back down to 1.0v and 1.1v for 3200 ram.

To be honest I like to experiment with some of my settings in my bios. TPU is one that I play with on occasion My system runs pretty cool setup the way I have it right now. I will show a screenshot AIDA64 that I took recently. My core voltage is low for running @5.0 in my opinion.

TPU explained:
The unique ASUS TurboV Processing Unit (TPU) adds up to 37% speed while the proprietary ASUS Energy Processing Unit (EPU) cuts power drain by up to 80%. Optimize your system performance using less energy!

Choice is the user of course. You can just leave that one setting alone and still get a nice result using the rest of my settings. TPU II should only be used IF user has Water Cooled CPU thou.!!!

OldMike65 wrote:

Ai Overclock Tuner [XMP]
SVID Behavior [Auto]
1-Core Ratio Limit [50]
2-Core Ratio Limit [50]
3-Core Ratio Limit [50]
4-Core Ratio Limit [50]
5-Core Ratio Limit [50]
6-Core Ratio Limit [50]
Ring Down Bin [Auto]
- Offset Mode Sign [+]
DRAM Voltage [1.3500]
CPU VCCIO Voltage [Auto]
PCH Core Voltage [Auto]

I know this is years old at this point but I found my way here through Google and your settings worked like a charm! Thank you! I've had my 8700k at 4.7 for years and even after switching from air to a 360mm Capellix I just left it as it was because I just wanted better temps. Recently though I've been experiencing stuttering and low GPU usage in all of my games. I'm not sure what caused it but your OC settings now have me running better than ever! Temps are great, frames are up maybe 10 to 20 but back to being stable and honestly looking more stable than ever. I just ran Dirt Rally 2.0 in VR for about three hours and it was amazing. Thanks again!