cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Maximus Formula X With G.SKill Trident Z RGB Compatibility

vetonvla
Level 7
This is my build, I already got the parts except ram. The G.Skill website says the ram I chose is compatible with my build however when reading the Formula X Qualified Vendor List i dont find it listed on the page .

Can Anyone please help me what G.skill RGB ram should I chose ?

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Silent Loop 280 94.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA ATX LGA1151
Memory: G.Skill - G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-3000C16Q-32GTZR
Storage: Samsung - 950 PRO 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Gold 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 O8GB STRIX Video Card
Case: be quiet! - Dark Base 700 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: be quiet! - DARK POWER PRO 11 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Sound Card: Asus - STRIX RAID DLX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: Asus - ROG Swift PG258Q 24.5" 2560x1440 240Hz
Keyboard: SteelSeries - Apex M750
Mouse: SteelSeries - Rival 700
Headphones: SteelSeries - Arctis 5

Thank You
13,541 Views
7 REPLIES 7

Feklar
Level 8
I don't see how this set work not work. I have both a 3200 and 3600mhz set of GSkill Trident 32gb memory and both sets work just fine with both the X Hero and the X Apex. It should not be a problem.

i9 12900k + Asus Maximus Z690 Apex + EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 ULTRA
G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6000l XMP 3.0 Desktop Memory Model F5-6000U4040E16GX2-TZ5RK+ Samsung 870 Pro SSD, EVO 1TB, EVO 2TB
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Power Supply + Fractal Meshify 2 XL case
Ek Velocity 2 CPU block, Ek GPU block
Koolance Fittings and QDC's + Mo-Ra 3 Pro 4x180 Radiator
LG 38GL950G Monitor +
Windows 10 Pro

Feklar wrote:
I don't see how this set work not work. I have both a 3200 and 3600mhz set of GSkill Trident 32gb memory and both sets work just fine with both the X Hero and the X Apex. It should not be a problem.


Thank you for your response. I dont know if it will or not, I was just asking because I didnt want to buy the wrong ram. I read the Rog Maximus Formula X Qualified Vendor Listing all rams that work with the board and I could not find the ram i wanted to buy.

How ever since on my local retail there is only a 3000 mhz version c16q would it be better to wait until they stock with 3200 or more ? will there be any diff from 3000 mhz to lets say 3200 or 3600 ?

Thank you Mate

vetonvla wrote:
Thank you for your response. I dont know if it will or not, I was just asking because I didnt want to buy the wrong ram. I read the Rog Maximus Formula X Qualified Vendor Listing all rams that work with the board and I could not find the ram i wanted to buy.

How ever since on my local retail there is only a 3000 mhz version c16q would it be better to wait until they stock with 3200 or more ? will there be any diff from 3000 mhz to lets say 3200 or 3600 ?

Thank you Mate


In memory benchmarks you would see a difference but probably not in everyday use. I'm sure you wouldn't notice any loss of gaming performance either. You could even run those 3000mhz sticks at 3200mhz I'm sure. I've run GSkill Trident 3200mhz sticks at 3600mhz without issue. I'd say use the memory and maybe upgrade later on when DDR4 prices become more affordable again.

i9 12900k + Asus Maximus Z690 Apex + EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 ULTRA
G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6000l XMP 3.0 Desktop Memory Model F5-6000U4040E16GX2-TZ5RK+ Samsung 870 Pro SSD, EVO 1TB, EVO 2TB
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2 Power Supply + Fractal Meshify 2 XL case
Ek Velocity 2 CPU block, Ek GPU block
Koolance Fittings and QDC's + Mo-Ra 3 Pro 4x180 Radiator
LG 38GL950G Monitor +
Windows 10 Pro

vetonvla wrote:
Thank you for your response. I dont know if it will or not, I was just asking because I didnt want to buy the wrong ram. I read the Rog Maximus Formula X Qualified Vendor Listing all rams that work with the board and I could not find the ram i wanted to buy.

How ever since on my local retail there is only a 3000 mhz version c16q would it be better to wait until they stock with 3200 or more ? will there be any diff from 3000 mhz to lets say 3200 or 3600 ?

Thank you Mate


Generally if g.skill says it will work, it will. Asus can't test every stick of RAM made on every board.
BTW, I have 16x2 GB TridentZ RGB on my Maximus X code, and it works great. My exact model of stick was't on the Asus QVL list.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

geneo wrote:
Generally if g.skill says it will work, it will. Asus can't test every stick of RAM made on every board.
BTW, I have 16x2 GB TridentZ RGB on my Maximus X code, and it works great. My exact model of stick was't on the Asus QVL list.


well i will go for the G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-3000C16Q-32GTZR than. I really hope it will work since in my country it cost around 450$ and they dont have any return policy. 😕

ottoyu34
Level 9
I personally would go by G skill's list. Unlike Ryzen, Intel platform has really good compatibility with various RAM kits.

While you're looking at Trident Z kits, I would suggest getting the CL14 kits. Those are the superior kits with Samsung B-die ICs.

ottoyu34 wrote:
I personally would go by G skill's list. Unlike Ryzen, Intel platform has really good compatibility with various RAM kits.

While you're looking at Trident Z kits, I would suggest getting the CL14 kits. Those are the superior kits with Samsung B-die ICs.


I would but on my local retail there is only the CL16q version . And I have been asking people around for days if the G.SKILL Trident Z RGB F4-3000C16Q-32GTZR will work with Formula X. So far i got very mixed opinions 😕