cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help for RAM overclock (G.Skill Trident-Z 2x16GB - Samsung B-Die)

Wolfdale
Level 7
Hello guys, recently I bought a G.Skill Trident-Z 2x16GB memory kit. Exact model number F4-3200C14D-32GTZSK. The ICs are Samsung's famous B-Die, but so far I'm having issues clocking the kit anywhere higher than 3600MHz. It can boot at 3600/14-14-14-30 @ 1.44v, but anything higher than 3600MHz won't even post, regardless of RAM voltage, SA voltage or VCCIO voltage. I know that given it's density (consisting of two 16GB modules) it won't overclock as good as 8GB B-die sticks, but I feel somewhat disappointed that I can't even hit 3733MHz.

I guess some of the secondary/tertiary timings need to be adjusted manually and I know some boards like Maximus IX Apex have built-in memory presets by Raja, Elmor and other clockers. Unfortunately that's not the case with the Z370-F Gaming I have, but the board still allows setting secondary&tertiary timings manually.

So... I'm wondering if someone could provide help on those secondary/tertiary timings or provide the whole optimized memory preset to type-in manually. Any help will be greatly appreciated! 🙂

So far that's the best I have and it's... disappointing:
1,426 Views
23 REPLIES 23

Raja
Level 13
You're going to need to relax a lot of timings to stand a chance - even then, 3733 is not guaranteed. These boards use T-topology and are 4-layer, so don't have as much signal margin with 1DPC as the higher-end models.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
You're going to need to relax a lot of timings to stand a chance - even then, 3733 is not guaranteed. These boards use T-topology and are 4-layer, so don't have as much signal margin with 1DPC as the higher-end models.


Yeah, I understand that it's not guaranteed. But I'd like to try it anyway. I saw on the Internet a screenshot that you have a dedicated profile for that memory. Can you simply share all the secondary/tertiary timings in this profile?

bass_junkie_xl
Level 11
Wolfdale wrote:
Hello guys, recently I bought a G.Skill Trident-Z 2x16GB memory kit. Exact model number F4-3200C14D-32GTZSK. The ICs are Samsung's famous B-Die, but so far I'm having issues clocking the kit anywhere higher than 3600MHz. It can boot at 3600/14-14-14-30 @ 1.44v, but anything higher than 3600MHz won't even post, regardless of RAM voltage, SA voltage or VCCIO voltage. I know that given it's density (consisting of two 16GB modules) it won't overclock as good as 8GB B-die sticks, but I feel somewhat disappointed that I can't even hit 3733MHz.

I guess some of the secondary/tertiary timings need to be adjusted manually and I know some boards like Maximus IX Apex have built-in memory presets by Raja, Elmor and other clockers. Unfortunately that's not the case with the Z370-F Gaming I have, but the board still allows setting secondary&tertiary timings manually.

So... I'm wondering if someone could provide help on those secondary/tertiary timings or provide the whole optimized memory preset to type-in manually. Any help will be greatly appreciated! 🙂



So far that's the best I have and it's... disappointing:


hey man i have the asus rof x hero bios 1003
8700k 5 ghz 1.32v

my ram is g.skill ( rgb ) 2 x 8 gb 16gb kit of 3000 mhz cl 14-14-14-34 xmp 1.35v
i have my kit @ manual 4000 mhz cl -18-19-19-38 1.4v vccio=auto vcssa=auto 100 % stable in prime 95 ,asus rela bench , hci mem test @ 1000 % coverage

my vcssa on auto on load is 1.31 v - 1.32v on auto
my vccio on auto on load is 1.32- 1.33v on auto

evrything works fine my scores in aida 64 are 56k ,59k,57k

i can post @ 4133 19-19-19-39 but aida scores are werse @ 4133 then 4000 cl 18

my 3000 14-14-14-34 are samsung bdie as well
Rig # 1 - 14900Ks SP-118 | 87 MC @ 6.0 GHZ | 5.2 R | 4.7 E | DDR5 48GB @ 8,600 c36 | Strix RTX 4090 | PG27AQN 1440P 27" 360 Hz G-Sync ULMB 2

Rig # 2 - 14900K-SP-120 | 89 MC @ 5.9 GHZ | 5.2 R | 4.7 E | DDR4 32GB @ 4,300 c15 | Strix RTX 3080 | Aoc 1080P 25" 240 Hz G-Sync

bass junkie xl wrote:
hey man i have the asus rof x hero bios 1003
8700k 5 ghz 1.32v

my ram is g.skill ( rgb ) 2 x 8 gb 16gb kit of 3000 mhz cl 14-14-14-34 xmp 1.35v
i have my kit @ manual 4000 mhz cl -18-19-19-38 1.4v vccio=auto vcssa=auto 100 % stable in prime 95 ,asus rela bench , hci mem test @ 1000 % coverage

my vcssa on auto on load is 1.31 v - 1.32v on auto
my vccio on auto on load is 1.32- 1.33v on auto

evrything works fine my scores in aida 64 are 56k ,59k,57k

i can post @ 4133 19-19-19-39 but aida scores are werse @ 4133 then 4000 cl 18

my 3000 14-14-14-34 are samsung bdie as well



Your board uses a different pcb. Makes a difference to what can be achieved.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Honestly 3600 CAS14 is pretty respectable anyway. You don't want to be pushing too far and making timing concessions.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
Honestly 3600 CAS14 is pretty respectable anyway. You don't want to be pushing too far and making timing concessions.


I would say better than respectable, higher speed at looser timings = very little to none or even worse performance

Deepcuts
Level 10
I am just trying to run my KIT at XMP spec. while others can successfully overclock their RAM so much more than spec. Nice memory you got there!
Just a hint Wolfdale: try testing with MemTest86 and MemTest86+. You might get the memory seemingly stable with AIDA and other benchmarks, but at the same time MemTest will report errors.
My last memory KIT behaved like that. All benchmarks were OK but sometimes the machine froze a second or two while benchmarking. Only testing with MemTest I could see that one stick was faulty. And that is without any RAM overclock.

Raja
Level 13
It's very tight and tuned for performance on a two-slot board, and if you're not getting there on the defaults with a four-slot board, it will not help you. So no point.

Thanks for sharing the settings! If anyone's interested, here is Raja's profile: