cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G.SKILL F4 DDR4 4000 C19 2x16GB ram - PC not booting with xmp enabled

marcolisi
Level 7
is there anyone that could help with the G.SKILL F4 DDR4 4000 C19 2x16GB ram on my asus maximus xi extreme and i9 9900k ?

The pc would not even boot when activating xmp in the bios

Can you please help me in having this ram performing the best it could at stock conditions?
26 REPLIES 26

Phillyflyer wrote:
I currently have the 3866c18q-32GTZR....no issues

Hey Philly digging up an old thread...

with your OC did you touch secondary and tertiary timings? Whats your aida64 latency before and after?

marcolisi wrote:
There is also this one

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-vengeance-rgb-series-32gb-4pk-8gb-3-466ghz-ddr4-desktop-memory-...

Would avoid the Corsair line...very picky memory!!....
If you ever wanted to change out motherboard..chances are you'll be changing the memory as well.
Less likely with GSkill as I've had this kit 3866 c18-32q GTZR with x99/z370/z390 with no compatibility issues
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

Phillyflyer wrote:
Would avoid the Corsair line...very picky memory!!....
If you ever wanted to change out motherboard..chances are you'll be changing the memory as well.
Less likely with GSkill as I've had this kit 3866 c18-32q GTZR with x99/z370/z390 with no compatibility issues

hmmmm
I’ve had the exact opposite experience. Have always been able to get XMP out of dominator sticks. Vengeance, not so much just like rip jaws. Only two I’ll use in order. Corsair dominator platinum and Gskill Trident Z.
@OP these stupid high numbers on ram are more of a luck shot to hit XMP. 3200 -3800 is the sweet spot. When you have to run C19 or more trying to get it to work it’s a waste. I just wish there were 8 stick X299 kits for like C14. I’d take 3200 C14 over anything C19. My 3800 c19 Corsair dominator platinum kit *does C16 just changing the numbers after loading XMP without even trying.*

Thing is just leave your kit in auto until you max out CPU and cache clocks. XMP isn’t a guarantee. May or may not work. It’s not uncommon for it not to play nice *at certain clock speeds. I’ve had it take backing off one and jumping up one and it worked fine after.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme
Level 13
Never buy memory sticks seperately. If you want 64GB then buy a *64GB Kit In the beginning as mixing kits, even with the exact same part number seldom works out. The higher the frequency the higher the risk of failure. Read through the forums a bit. You will see this very thing time and again. Even buying a 64GB kit that’s 16GB sticks which do not OC as nicely (anything over 2666) as 8GB sticks so be prepared for that too. I wanted 128GB, tried 3 different kits, all on the QVL, none of them got past 3200. I caved and went with 8x8 x299 Kit and it went to XMP with zero problems.*

As for downgrading in previous post there is more to the speed of the memory than the frequency. CL plays just as big a part. An example I gave earlier shows 3600 C17 is actually faster than 4000 C19. In the end it’s all 2666 with different XMP settings or what the manufacturer says their auto OC will work. What clock the CPU and uncore is running at also plays a part in the memories ability to reach that XMP setting.

Please don’t shoot the messenger, the facts are the facts. There is a massive difference between 4x8 and 2x16 it’s not the same in the end, not even close which is why you are experiencing issues now. Not here to argue in the least, just help and save you the heartache though 30+ years at this. Take what you want and leave the rest. If RGB aesthetics is more important to you than the actual function then that’s your choice. I don’t agree with it as it’s like putting $10K worth of rims on a car that’s blowing smoke but to each his own. Yes I knew a young man who did this and his car ended up with a blown engine. Those high $$ rims looked great sitting in the back yard with grass growing around them.*

s for charts, check your mobo QVL, thats as good as it’s going to get. *

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

rjbarker
Level 11
Just curious....I have been out of the OC game since building my RIVE 3930K build a number of years ago...my present build runs and OC's just fine with a 32G Platinum Kit (2 x 16G).....there are a few folks here stating that running 4 Sticks will result in easier OC'ing.....hhhmmmm...this goes entirely against what Ive experienced OC'ing the last 10 yrs....by populating all DIMM Slots your putting far more stress on the CPU IMC which ALWAYS resulted in more difficulty reacing higher stable Clocks....Tri Channel Memory always used 3 Sticks vs 6 Sticks....Quad Channel always 4 Sticks vs 8 Sticks....now my MXIE is Duo Channel..so 2 Sticks vs 4 Sticks....
Can you please post up some info regarding population of DIMM Slots and how this affects IMC.....

....just curious guys as OC'ing was always best suited with less Memory DIMM slots populated....not more....regardless of the Sticks capacity (as in 16G vs 8G) .....I would never consider 4 x 8G kit amnd populating all DIMMS vs 2 x 16G Kit and populating 2.....keeping the interface stable between Memory and IMC is the key in most OC'ing.........

Apex Boards follow this same suit with only 2 Slots....generally if you find a suitable OC with say 2 x 16G kits and switch to 4 x 8G Kit....you generally (from my experience) bork your OC and you'll find everything will require more voltage and tweaking..........and you may never reach the OC's you had previously with less DIMM Slots populated.....

Things may have changed ....but everywhere still points to interface between CPU IMC and DIMM Slots says less DIMM Slots populated the better....please provide soem links that state otherwise...you,ve peaked my curiosity 🙂

As for Corsair RAM Dominators - they have been my go to for several years and the last few builds ...no issues...as for mixing kits ...agreed dont recommend it...but Ive done that as well with no issues...provided you purchase the exact same kit......just my experience with this stuff...

Im certainly not saying folks here are wrong...not at all...perhaps the Architecture and Interface between the CPU IMC and DIMM has changed dramatically since X79.......Im going to do some digging myself...
.....before ditching what could be a perfectly good set of 2 * 16G Memory for 4 * 8G Memory only to find the same OC'ing difficulty there are a number of things that havent been mentioned to try first.....pushing a tad more voltage to the vDimm would be the first thing...then IO / SA...if no luck ensure CR set to 2T vs 1T .....manually setting the Memory vs XMP and finally loosening up the CAS from 16 (although Id be choked if I needed to do that)....

....when talking "Silicone Lottery" and CPU this is generally how decent the IMC is within the CPU....some good..some great..some ok.....

..perhaps Arnie or Shamino can chime in to clarify ...as saifd perhaps Architecture has changed and/or interface.....

EDIT:

My apologies guys....did some digging...seems the jury is out on this one ......T Topology of the platforms ....dual rank vs single rank DIMMS....a lot of conflicting info,,,its certainly not black n white....Samsung B-Die Modules etc etc ....

rjbarker wrote:
Just curious....I have been out of the OC game since building my RIVE 3930K build a number of years ago...my present build runs and OC's just fine with a 32G Platinum Kit (2 x 16G).....there are a few folks here stating that running 4 Sticks will result in easier OC'ing.....hhhmmmm...this goes entirely against what Ive experienced OC'ing the last 10 yrs....by populating all DIMM Slots your putting far more stress on the CPU IMC which ALWAYS resulted in more difficulty reacing higher stable Clocks....Tri Channel Memory always used 3 Sticks vs 6 Sticks....Quad Channel always 4 Sticks vs 8 Sticks....now my MXIE is Duo Channel..so 2 Sticks vs 4 Sticks....
Can you please post up some info regarding population of DIMM Slots and how this affects IMC.....

....just curious guys as OC'ing was always best suited with less Memory DIMM slots populated....not more....regardless of the Sticks capacity (as in 16G vs 8G) .....I would never consider 4 x 8G kit amnd populating all DIMMS vs 2 x 16G Kit and populating 2.....keeping the interface stable between Memory and IMC is the key in most OC'ing.........

Apex Boards follow this same suit with only 2 Slots....generally if you find a suitable OC with say 2 x 16G kits and switch to 4 x 8G Kit....you generally (from my experience) bork your OC and you'll find everything will require more voltage and tweaking..........and you may never reach the OC's you had previously with less DIMM Slots populated.....

Things may have changed ....but everywhere still points to interface between CPU IMC and DIMM Slots says less DIMM Slots populated the better....please provide soem links that state otherwise...you,ve peaked my curiosity 🙂

As for Corsair RAM Dominators - they have been my go to for several years and the last few builds ...no issues...as for mixing kits ...agreed dont recommend it...but Ive done that as well with no issues...provided you purchase the exact same kit......just my experience with this stuff...

Im certainly not saying folks here are wrong...not at all...perhaps the Architecture and Interface between the CPU IMC and DIMM has changed dramatically since X79.......Im going to do some digging myself...
.....before ditching what could be a perfectly good set of 2 * 16G Memory for 4 * 8G Memory only to find the same OC'ing difficulty there are a number of things that havent been mentioned to try first.....pushing a tad more voltage to the vDimm would be the first thing...then IO / SA...if no luck ensure CR set to 2T vs 1T .....manually setting the Memory vs XMP and finally loosening up the CAS from 16 (although Id be choked if I needed to do that)....

....when talking "Silicone Lottery" and CPU this is generally how decent the IMC is within the CPU....some good..some great..some ok.....

..perhaps Arnie or Shamino can chime in to clarify ...as saifd perhaps Architecture has changed and/or interface.....

EDIT:

My apologies guys....did some digging...seems the jury is out on this one ......T Topology of the platforms ....dual rank vs single rank DIMMS....a lot of conflicting info,,,its certainly not black n white....Samsung B-Die Modules etc etc ....

Would you please try to guide me through the overclocking of the ram I have ?