cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Time Power Up - No POST - Q-Code 00 - Bad Board or CPU?

computerhead2
Level 7
The CPU is an 8700K, the board is the Maximus X Hero WI-FI AC.

With power applied The board LEDs light up and color cycles. But the CPU fan does not power up/spin. The cases fans do come on.

I get no beeps, or codes other than 00 (not used), just case fans and board LED lights

I have moved RAM (2 sticks ) to different slots in accordance with the User guide directions. The memory has is GSKILL RGB and the modules LED come on and color cylcle

I just used the FlashBack Bios via the USB and that seemed to work okay, based on the flashing blue button and the time (2 -3 minutes). So my current BIOS should be 1003

I have checked all the power connections and removed the CPU and inspected for any bent pins in the socket and reinstalled its and have the air cooler installed (NH15S).

I don't have a graphics card installed , I am not using a SATA port, instead have a M.2 SSD drive installed

Thinking it is the CPU, but maybe I have missed something... any thoughts/recommendation or advice to furthur trouble shoot?

Thanks

Chuck
3 REPLIES 3

Raja
Level 13
Things to check:

1) Although your post states you've checked the power connections, double-check the EPS 12V connector, again. If it is a modular PSU, check it it secure on both sides (PSU connector and motherboard connector).

2) If the board is in a chassis, take it out set it up on a non-conductive surface - just in case it is shorting or being warped.

3) If those don't work, difficult to say whether it's the CPU or board. Code 00 can be numerous things on the board (such as power rails not pulling up or corrupt firmware). Could be CPU, too, but unlikely if it is new (not something we hear of often).

-Raja

skoucout
Level 7
computerhead2 wrote:
The CPU is an 8700K, the board is the Maximus X Hero WI-FI AC.

With power applied The board LEDs light up and color cycles. But the CPU fan does not power up/spin. The cases fans do come on.

I get no beeps, or codes other than 00 (not used), just case fans and board LED lights

I have moved RAM (2 sticks ) to different slots in accordance with the User guide directions. The memory has is GSKILL RGB and the modules LED come on and color cylcle

I just used the FlashBack Bios via the USB and that seemed to work okay, based on the flashing blue button and the time (2 -3 minutes). So my current BIOS should be 1003

I have checked all the power connections and removed the CPU and inspected for any bent pins in the socket and reinstalled its and have the air cooler installed (NH15S).

I don't have a graphics card installed , I am not using a SATA port, instead have a M.2 SSD drive installed

Thinking it is the CPU, but maybe I have missed something... any thoughts/recommendation or advice to furthur trouble shoot?

Thanks

Chuck

I'm having this same issue and have the same or very similar setup... what was your fix? I called ASUS and they told me it was the motherboard. I got a replacement motherboard and have the same issue.

Also, what did you name your bios CAP file?

Thanks in advance!!

Hello,

i am a nearly the same, for me it was the CPU was installed incorrectly.

once i saw this, changed CPU, it worked fine

Hope that helps
tim