cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First cold boot always fails

letrasenumeros
Level 9
I am using the latest UEFI with default settings, except for setting XMP.
After setting XMP, the first cold boot always fails. Then, at second cold boot everything is just fine.
So I disabled the XMP option, setting the DRAM speed, voltage and timings manually. The problem persists.
After some troubleshooting, I discovered that the problem occurs when setting the DRAM clock at 3.000MHz or higher.
Any ideas how to solve this?

Asus ROG Maximus X Hero (1301)
Intel Core i7-8700K
Corsair Dominator Platinum 3.466 C16 (CMD16GX4M2B3466C16)
Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1070
6 REPLIES 6

Raja
Level 13
If the system is passing on second attempt, you can try tuning SA/IO voltages. If that doesn't work, then you'll need to tune timings. As a last resort, you can try enabling fast boot (after successful POST) within the DRAM timing menu of UEFI.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
If the system is passing on second attempt, you can try tuning SA/IO voltages. If that doesn't work, then you'll need to tune timings. As a last resort, you can try enabling fast boot (after successful POST) within the DRAM timing menu of UEFI.

Thank you, Raja!
Wich voltages ranges do you recommend?
And what about the boot voltages menu?

Raja
Level 13
Because of the memory frequency, you shouldn't need more than 1.30V for the SA and IO. You'll need to experiment because these rails can be sensitive to changes (too much voltage can result in instability). For the BOOT voltages menu, you can try adding 50mV (0.05V) to DRAM Voltage, too.

-Raja

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Because of the memory frequency, you shouldn't need more than 1.30V for the SA and IO. You'll need to experiment because these rails can be sensitive to changes (too much voltage can result in instability). For the BOOT voltages menu, you can try adding 50mV (0.05V) to DRAM Voltage, too.

-Raja

I reduced the automatic voltages and it worked!
After some more tunning I will post the results.
Thank you!

letrasenumeros
Level 9
The only voltage that I needed to tune was the CPU VCCIO as bellow.

The first cold boot attempt would fail with any value above this.

I´m comming back to this thread after all this time because I updated the BIOS to the version 2301. As the problem persists in the new version, I had to find out again this setting.

letrasenumeros wrote:
The only voltage that I needed to tune was the CPU VCCIO as bellow.

The first cold boot attempt would fail with any value above this.

I´m comming back to this thread after all this time because I updated the BIOS to the version 2301. As the problem persists in the new version, I had to find out again this setting.

Hello,

Yes, an updated UEFI isn't likely going to solve the issue as what voltage is needed depends on the individual CPU.

Best to make notes, or if the platform supports profiles across UEFI builds, make OC profiles.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090