cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DRAM Woes with new Z390-E Gaming and Random PDF for DRAM may be worth researching

Likashots
Level 7
Hey guys,

Never really posted here.
My first motherboard was an OEM Asrock Z370 Pro4-CB. I wanted to upgrade because I couldn't update the motherboard, Cyberpower was never going to release any new updates and the motherboard wouldn't let me update from the Asus / Asrock website. So impulsively after sometime I purchased the Asrog Strix Z390-E Gaming.
I have an i7-8700k / 32 Gigs of DDR4. 4x8 4133MHz.

Ever since I purchased my Z390-E Gaming I've had nothing but issues with my DDR4 Ram.

Needless to say I didn't do enough research prior to purchasing the motherboard.
Not only is the RAM not on the QVL with G. Skill, it is also not on the QVL with Asus.
The ram I'm currently running is F4-4133C19D-16GTZKW Trident Z DDR4-4133MHz CL19-21-21-41 1.35V 16GB (2x8GB).
Running 2 separate kids of the same ram so F4-4133C19D-16GTZKW Trident Z DDR4-4133MHz 4x8GB.

Prior to the upgrade. The OEM Asrock Z370 Pro4-CB ran the ram like a champ believe it or not, it was mind boggling to me after I upgraded the motherboard with what I was thinking was a huge upgrade, to find out that the Z390 can't even run as good of timings as the $160 cyberpower oem board.

Here's my timings and benchmark that the OEM board was stable with.

I've spent over a month trying different timings, loosening timings, tightening timings, raising voltages, lowering voltages. Still not able to get close to what the OEM board could handle / manage.

The reason for this post is
A. Does any one have any advice or solutions that may help? Short of buying new ram or a new motherboard.

B. I found a PDF that explains all the settings and functions of RAM. It is from Micron but they all follow the same basic principles. I remember finding a post awhile back that suggested changing Park CHA and Park CHB to different variables which helped in stabilizing DRAM. And I found a section in the PDF that goes over how NOM, PARK and WR work with RTT. So i'll attach that on this post as well if anyone else is interested in taking a peak.

Here's a link to the pdf.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/file_uploaded.php?file_id=22656587784826823237&del_id=2242515357483305497...

Couldn't get an image of it.

Table 71: Termination State Table
Case RTT(Park) RTT(NOM)1 RTT(WR)2 ODT Pin ODT READS3 ODT Standby ODT WRITES A4 Disabled Disabled Disabled Don't Care Off (High-Z) Off (High-Z) Off (High-Z) Enabled Don't Care Off (High-Z) Off (High-Z) RTT(WR) B5 Enabled Disabled Disabled Don't Care Off (High-Z) RTT(Park) RTT(Park) Enabled Don't Care Off (High-Z) RTT(Park) RTT(WR) C6 Disabled Enabled Disabled Low Off (High-Z) Off (High-Z) Off (High-Z) High Off (High-Z) RTT(NOM) RTT(NOM) Enabled Low Off (High-Z) Off (High-Z) RTT(WR) High Off (High-Z) RTT(NOM) RTT(WR) D6 Enabled Enabled Disabled Low Off (High-Z) RTT(Park) RTT(Park) High Off (High-Z) RTT(NOM) RTT(NOM) Enabled Low Off (High-Z) RTT(Park) RTT(WR) High Off (High-Z) RTT(NOM) RTT(WR)
Notes:
1. If RTT(NOM) MR is disabled, power to the ODT receiver will be turned off to save power.
2. If RTT(WR) is enabled, RTT(WR) will be activated by a WRITE command for a defined period time independent of the ODT pin and MR setting of RTT(Park)/RTT(NOM). This is described in the Dynamic ODT section.
3. When a READ command is executed, the DRAM termination state will be High-Z for a defined period independent of the ODT pin and MR setting of RTT(Park)/RTT(NOM). This is described in the ODT During Read section.
4. Case A is generally best for single-rank memories.
5. Case B is generally best for dual-rank, single-slotted memories.
6. Case C and Case D are generally best for multi-slotted memories
2 REPLIES 2

metalspider
Level 7
seems it was more of a side grade or downgrade really.as for rtt values you can try setting those according to ryzen calculators suggestions and it might help a little but i wouldnt get my hopes up.
try stuff like disabling vrm spread spectrum and bclk spread spectrum too.
or trace centering if you have that setting.

using 2 kits of 2x8gb is also frowned upon by ram and mobo makers since they arent matched dimms that were binned by the manufacturer to work well together.

you had some really nice timings on the asrock.if you cant get that frequency stable on the asus board your only option will be to lower the frequency more and tighten the timings more.

edit: the rtl values seem a little far apart,should be no more then 2 apart and yet i see 61 62 70 66

@metalspider

Yeah, I wasn't expecting to get the second kit. I ordered it 7 days after i received the first kit, unfortunately new egg would not allow me to return the ram because i was missing the box for the first kit. (( I intended to return the 2 kits and get a 4 kit instead of 2 2kits. ))

Needless to say, i finally have been able to get the ram running steady with really good timings at 4133 which the Pro4 CB board couldn't do.

All i had to do was 40 Park Cha A and 40 Park Cha B
Did fresh windows install, didn't debloat anything. Turned off MEM OK!!! ***** Turning off MEM OK!!! Switch was huge because the system won't post at all or if it does post with MEM OK!!! ooff, i haven't had 1 blue screen yet. No blue screen on benching / stress testing / playing cpu / graphic intesnive games.

When i had MEM OK!!! On, sometimes it would post then i'd get a blue screen.

Here's my current timings, think i'm done tuning for now. Maybe i'll revisit in a week or two to do some more tightening.