cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device Manager PCI Device and SM Bus Controller no drivers? need suggestions

walrbe
Level 8
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to install or have system recognise these two devices

PCI Device and SM Bus Controller.

I have installed all relevant software from Asus, tried windows update but still devices show up as unknown.

My MB is the Maximus XI Hero. I'm using the onboard Graphics and don't have the PIC slots used at the moment. The only thing I can think of is some setting change in BIOS. Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.
25 REPLIES 25

kens30
Level 11
Installing latest chipset drivers should fix the SM Bus Controller unknown device.
Also installing Intel Management Engine Interface driver should also fix the unknown PCI Device.
Make sure the downloaded drivers .zip package isn't blocked before extracting drivers and installing.

Saltgrass
Level 13
It is strange, the exact same thing is happening with the new Z490 boards. No driver available, for some reason will enable those exact same devices.. I suppose it will take some time for the folks responsible will give us a fix..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

I just installed a z590-E gaming motherboard and I also have those unknown devices in device manager
PCI Device and SM Bus Controller
Asus Maximus V Extreme
Intel i7 3770k
16G G. Skill Sniper Series 2133 MHz
2 x EVGA 680 Superclocked +
Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro Cooler
2 x Crucial m4 128G SSD in Raid 0
2 x Seagate Baracuda 500G in Raid 0
Seasonic 1050 Watt PSU

bmw477 wrote:
I just installed a z590-E gaming motherboard and I also have those unknown devices in device manager
PCI Device and SM Bus Controller

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds506150

cuke2u
Level 8
I have found windows update to be very good at finding hardware drivers. But another way is to get the hardware ID from the device properties and search for it in Google.
Asus Strix Z390-F, Intel i9 9900k, 32gb Team Group Night Hawk RGB, Corsair ML120 Pro RGB Premium AIO, be quiet! Straight Power 11 650W, AMD Vega 56, Lian Li Alpha 500X RGB, Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe

Same for my MAXIMUS VIII GENE, no PCI Memory Controller or SM BUS Controller, tried all suggestio0ns from both ASUS and INTEL Chipset latest drivers, this is a recent thing?

Selecting the relevant drivers from the Windows 10 Optional Driver updates fixed it for me.

qUAanA
Level 10
I got the same problem with Z590 Hero

qUAanA wrote:
I got the same problem with Z590 Hero

LOL MAN - I missed that for my ROG STRIX Z690 Gaming WIFI - Was driving me f..... nuts. Expanded list, tons of **** I had not installed. Thanks brother. 😉

qUAanA
Level 10
Well Lord be hold.
I did a format again,
Reinstall windows, turned off armor crate from installing in bios.
Popped the instal disk for the motherboard.
Played around with suggestions mentioned here:
Go to Intel get the latest drivers, tried auto feature didn’t help (intels website says I all updated) LOL, downloaded chipsets from Intels website, tried the chipset INf download too, didn’t work, then downloaded current version of armorcrate and noticed it saying to update the chipset. So I did
Boom!!! Worked.*