cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cracking sounds

empleat
Level 10
I have cracking sounds when playing games and tv shows. I am crunching covid, so i thought, that was simply because high cpu usage. But after i turned it off, it continues. I have z390-i gaming. This sucks, i have no idea what this can be. Dpc latency is very low. No overheating. I even tried to reinstall sound drivers - didn't help... What is even stranger, restart helps. But than it starts happening again!

Please help!
24 REPLIES 24

Wangeyed wrote:
yeah i know its one of those things you shouldnt be getting with such a nice motherboard, i must admit when i first built my pc i cant recall having this problem. how about try one of the first audio drivers on the support page? (dont forget to check the files are unlocked before installing) if that fails i dont know what to suggest sorry.

I read somewhere, that this may be issue, that sound card putting itself to sleep. I didn't find any sleep features enabled in bios. And in device manager, there is no power option for soundcard. And i have no idea how to change this in regedit.

Maybe i should also try external dac, people get these, if they have cracking issue. As claiming warranty for motherboard is annoying and wait...

HAAHHAHA, i just found out, that this idiotic I/O shield, which is blocking pci-e slot on this motherboard - doesn't shield codec. That bigest irony, if i ever see one ROFL LMAO... But it is strange, that it didn't happen previously...

But i think if it was EMI, it would have to be happening from start. So it seems that sound card was destroyed randomly. I even tried to up bios, i already had high enough version and front jack, even i didn't expect it to help and put value to registry to prevent sound card from sleeping, but i didn't have there key powermgnt and i read it is not possible anymore to turn this off, so that didn't do anything.

So annoying so i will have to return it, that's just great. I hate taking pc apart, cause i have 20 cm hands. So annoying... NEVER BUYING ANYTHING FROM ASUS AGAIN, this brand is bad in every way possible...

i also am getting random popping in audio onboard and its random i have sonic studio installed

Wangeyed wrote:
yeah i know its one of those things you shouldnt be getting with such a nice motherboard, i must admit when i first built my pc i cant recall having this problem. how about try one of the first audio drivers on the support page? (dont forget to check the files are unlocked before installing) if that fails i dont know what to suggest sorry.

I forget 1 important thing, i tested nvidia hd audio using display port and connected it to my monitor. While having onboard sound card disabled in BIOS. I have same cracking noises! SO IT IS NOT EVEN SOUNDCARD!

Well this is so annoying, it will hard to pinpoint the issue. I don't know for what component - i should claim a warranty!

It could be still motherboard i guess, i have no idea. Or i read on ASUS forums - nvidia gpu could cause that. But that was due drivers i think. I tried both linux and windows with no drivers. Same issue.

It could be a damaged cpu i guess, cause motherboard overvolted vccio to 1.328v max and vccsa to 1.224 max. I didn't know about it until recently. And since i ran Foldinghome, which is highly demanding, it could damage the cpu in combination.

Could be a faulty psu too, i guess? Some people said... I have corsair RM650x 2018 with 10 years of warranty, so i would blame it on psu last. Still i don't know. Maybe i will have to take whole rig to a computer shop, it is annoying, but i have no idea how to pinpoint the issue!

not sure if this is correct but i believe the nvidia hd audio drivers is for hdmi only? i use display port withough nvidia drivers installed and works fine for me

Wangeyed wrote:
not sure if this is correct but i believe the nvidia hd audio drivers is for hdmi only? i use display port withough nvidia drivers installed and works fine for me

No it is for display port as well, i used it on valve index no problem! You probably had microsoft oem drivers automatically installed.

So what is strange, i tested this on 2 computers and 1 laptop. On 4 headphones and i have cracking noise on each on them. This is during seeking, in video player. All computers have different video player. I don't know about this, as this is maybe even normal. It happened to me from time to time, but not as often. I will yet test gaming on my old computer, if i have cracking noises in games too!

On my main computer, it is in multiple games, i get cracking noises from time to time. This never happened to me before.

Because cracking noise is across 3 computers, this got me scared as hell. If it is electricity, there is nothing i can do. But i had never problem with that. That it would start from the blue sky - strange.

i see the z390-i also has the intel i219-v lan just like on my xi hero.that lan card can cause lots of dpc latency spikes due to the interrupt moderation in the advanced driver settings.
you can try a newer driver or also check in latencymon to see if you have spikes because of tcpip.sys

metalspider wrote:
i see the z390-i also has the intel i219-v lan just like on my xi hero.that lan card can cause lots of dpc latency spikes due to the interrupt moderation in the advanced driver settings.
you can try a newer driver or also check in latencymon to see if you have spikes because of tcpip.sys

I already tried that and no dpc latency! 100us max on average. My audio has 5us dpc latency :D:D:D

It doesn't happen in linux, i need to test it yet more thoroughly. But i already watched couple hours video and it was fine. On windows it happened couple times per hour in video playback. I am suspecting right now Windows. Perhaps i will have to repair update, or reinstall if it helps, or make second install.

Btw i doubt that's it, but how do you prevent sound card on z390 motherboards from going to sleep, there is nothing in Device Manager. And in i put dword in regedit and no difference.

empleat wrote:
It doesn't happen in linux, i need to test it yet more thoroughly. But i already watched couple hours video and it was fine. On windows it happened couple times per hour in video playback. I am suspecting right now Windows. Perhaps i will have to repair update, or reinstall if it helps, or make second install.

Btw i doubt that's it, but how do you prevent sound card on z390 motherboards from going to sleep, there is nothing in Device Manager. And in i put dword in regedit and no difference.

Hi,

You have an ASUS ROG SS3 motherboard, so :

You need Realtek Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3) from the first post of this thread.

Follow scrupulously your CLEANUP process then your INSTALL process, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow your UPDATE process.

Once it's done, regarding your popping issue, follow these 2 TIPS (also visible at the bottom of the first post) :

1) Disable hibernation :

- Right-click Windows Start button then click Search.
- Search for cmd. In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt and then click Run as administrator.
- If/When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
- At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off and then press Enter then close the Command Prompt.

2) Enable MSI (Message Signaled-based Interrupts) mode on all your supported devices (see the column "supported modes") with MSI Mode Utility (Right click on "MSI_util_v3.exe" > Run as administrator), then Apply, then close MSI Mode Utility & restart your PC.

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

2) Enable MSI (Message Signaled-based Interrupts) mode on all your supported devices (see the column "supported modes") with MSI Mode Utility (Right click on "MSI_util_v3.exe" > Run as administrator), then Apply, then close MSI Mode Utility & restart your PC.

Can you help? I don't know which devices I have to activate and how it has to be configured correctly, I have z490 Maximus xii