cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused on adding 2 M.2 in XI Formula , without negative affects of lanes & so on.

MaLLoc
Level 8
Wondering about issues I'm reading on adding m.2 cuasing problems with lanes , I would like to use a SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 512gb & SAMSUNG 970 PRO M.2 2280 1TB & my previous SSD evo 850 sata III as follows 1 for OS system then other for games and the sata for video recordings
If I install these into the slots made for them on the motherboard, am I going to have any problems as I seem to read something about it on the motherboard note ...
I dont know what sata mode is for m.2 (I thought it was it's own mode for m.2 , is this changeable?)
(I'm guessing the m.2 2280 is a m.2 _3 drive as I dont see that Info on its sale page )
Pretty much dont understand most of the note warning and dont want to cripple my drives or gpu/cpu , of course want full speeds and lanes for everything, so any clear info & help from others doing or done would help before I buy the m.2 drives

Note
* The PCIe x 16_3 slot shares bandwidth with SATA6G_56 ports. PCIe x 16_3 slot is set at x2 mode by default.
*2 When M.2_1 Socket 3 is operating in SATA mode, SATA port 2 will be disabled.
When an 22110 M.2 SSD is installed in M.2_1, M.2_2 will be limited to an 2242 M.2 SSD.
*3 Due to limitations in HDA bandwidth, 32-Bit/192 kHz is not supported for 8-Channel audio.
1 REPLY 1

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
No, you won't have problems given the information above. Both M.2 ports will use PCH lanes, and if planning on using 16_3, use a SATA port that isn't subject to the condition of the slot being used. The GPU will still be allocated 16 lanes from the CPU given your configuration.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090