cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold boot NVME Samsung 960 EVO - Asus Maximus X Hero

nordhoj
Level 7
Hi All,

I have the weirdest problem i cannot get my head around. The problem is that when i start the system (no power cable have been unplugged) the first boot everything posts OK and i have no errors on the LED on the motherboard but it wont boot. So after some troubleshooting i found out if i go to the BIOS/UEFI and idle there for a couple a minutes and chose discard changes and reboot the system the system boots to windows normally. If i don't go to bios the second restart will also have my system boot to windows.

So my setup:
- Windows 10 Latest patches for LTSB Enterprise version.
- Intel 8700K running at 5.3Ghz (1.365V) and uncore at 4.9Ghz (Auto) (Speedstep enabled)
- 2x Samsung 960 EVO 250gb NVME in raid0 (PCIE x4)
- Asus Maximus X Hero (Non wifi) (Bios 1003 - I have not upgraded the bios version because of the intel slowdown patch for spectre/meltdown)
- 4x 8GB MSI Trident Z RGB CL16 3600Mhz
- Corsair RM850 X (850W Gold+)
- MSI GTX 1080 Gaming
- Peripherals plugged in is just Monitor Asus PG27VQ (via displayport) and a keyboard and mouse in USB.

Since the system is running in raid0 the drives in windows cannot be updated with firmware from Samsung because the drives will be found as Raid-device running with Intel Rapid Storage technology which is running the latest firmware and drivers.

I'm thinking this have to do with a cold boot issue since if i wait and idle in UEFI/BIOS the system will boot normally the first time and when i reboot when the system is "hot" it will also work perfectly. I have run Disk scans and memory tests but nothing is failing.

Do you guys have any clue on what could possibly be wrong here? Just ask me if there is more info that needs to be provided.

Thanks in advance!
4,153 Views
10 REPLIES 10

will_s
Level 7
if you are worried about Spectre then get James Bond to give you a hand

Look, do your BIOS upgrade and see what happens
will

will_s wrote:
if you are worried about Spectre then get James Bond to give you a hand

Look, do your BIOS upgrade and see what happens



Ah well i would rather see someone who knows that this will make a difference, it's not just the spectre-fix is all the settings i have that have to be re-done. I wont do that just because someone thinks its a good idea i need something that implies that 'this-fix' will probably solve this.

Since the issue will go away within 2minutes of idling in bios/uefi i think it might be some voltage that needs to be looked through.

will_s
Level 7
I would have assumed that you had already run it at stock ? :confused:

surely thats the first thing anyone would do when troubleshooting something like that
will

will_s wrote:
I would have assumed that you had already run it at stock ? :confused:

surely thats the first thing anyone would do when troubleshooting something like that



Yeah i have saved my profile in the UEFI and then did a CMOS reset and waited a couple of hours for a boot and the same thing happened there. So i'm all out of guesses here.

Hope there is someone from the Asus team that might have some insights on what this could be or if it's fixed in a later bios version.

will_s
Level 7
better of asking them directly or post a request in the ROG care forum ( near the bottom )
will

DirtyMacho
Level 7
Take a screen shoot of every page and upgrade the firmware and re-do it. If it solves the problem better do it.

By the way @ 1.365v on 5.3ghz. What type of cooler do you use and how is temps maintained agains ambient.

I was finding difficult on maintaining under 80 degree for even 4.9ghz at 1.3v. its jumps as high as 100 for few sec and come back to min of 94 deg. But these are on cpu benchmark test. Even same for gaming as well it hits 90+ easily

Now at 4.3gh @ 1.22v.

Would like to see the settings snapshot and snap on cooler and case you have setup. Just to see what makes this pc oc'able without raising the temps.

DirtyMacho wrote:
Take a screen shoot of every page and upgrade the firmware and re-do it. If it solves the problem better do it.

By the way @ 1.365v on 5.3ghz. What type of cooler do you use and how is temps maintained agains ambient.

I was finding difficult on maintaining under 80 degree for even 4.9ghz at 1.3v. its jumps as high as 100 for few sec and come back to min of 94 deg. But these are on cpu benchmark test. Even same for gaming as well it hits 90+ easily

Now at 4.3gh @ 1.22v.

Would like to see the settings snapshot and snap on cooler and case you have setup. Just to see what makes this pc oc'able without raising the temps.



Well i need to document all of the settings to see what's what. Saw that the 1602 bios was released so i might give it a shot.

I'm running a custom loop with 360mm rad (EK 60mm thick) push/pull and a 360 rad in top (EK 27mm thick) with EK EVO Block and a block for my 1080. Since im running with speedstep my idle-temp's is aroun 28C and prime95 small FTT's it's average 65C 🙂

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
LTSB is new to me, and when I start making some research, why you use that windows versions for specialize hardware? Side that, Samsung nvme firmware update is a most. IF you are using the 3.0 driver, try to roll back to a early driver and test. That windows is design to work on minimal updates, I mean MINIMAL. most updates has to be install manually in order to be use for special apps. I can recommend, if you are up to the task. backup the raid, and use a pro version of windows on another driver and test. some drivers are not compatible even is windows 10 derivates. you do not lose anything doing these. there was a old threat concerning the issues on nvme of Samsung on that area. and was corrected with the firmware and 3.0 drivers. I use raid and is doing perfect, of course that can change on users experience.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Itzycharles wrote:
LTSB is new to me, and when I start making some research, why you use that windows versions for specialize hardware? Side that, Samsung nvme firmware update is a most. IF you are using the 3.0 driver, try to roll back to a early driver and test. That windows is design to work on minimal updates, I mean MINIMAL. most updates has to be install manually in order to be use for special apps. I can recommend, if you are up to the task. backup the raid, and use a pro version of windows on another driver and test. some drivers are not compatible even is windows 10 derivates. you do not lose anything doing these. there was a old threat concerning the issues on nvme of Samsung on that area. and was corrected with the firmware and 3.0 drivers. I use raid and is doing perfect, of course that can change on users experience.


Are you running raid with the nvme drives? Becaus running raid0 on this motherboard when installing you have to have specific drivers to find the device and when i'm in device manager i only find intel raid volume 0 as running drive and im configuring it via the intel rapid storage controller software. So when trying to install samsung drivers the device is not recognized.