cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CMR32GX4M4C3466C16 XMP errors on X HERO

Deepcuts
Level 10
Hello,

Just posting this in case others bought the same KIT and had better luck then me.
I had to RMA my CMK32GX4M4B3200C16 because one stick out of four was throwing errors.
Because the retailer did not have the same KIT anymore, they replaced it with CMR32GX4M4C3466C16
I agreed after checking http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_MAXIMUS_X_FORMULA/MEMORY_QVL_0108.pdf and saw the KIT as qualified.

CMR32GX4M4C3466C16 is a DDR4 Corsair @3466 Mhz 16-18-18-36 (4x8GB)
At JEDEC spec, the KIT runs just fine.
At XMP tho, the system does not even boot most of the time. When it does, Windows will just freeze without any BSOD and the system will restart.
I also tried manually setting up the speed and timings without XMP. Tried Auto, Mode1 and Mode 2. Loaded BIOS defaults and only enabled XMP. Same story.
I have managed to get the system as stable as I can by setting DRAM Voltage to 1.400 instead of 1.350, but even tho I could run AIDA64 Cache & Memory and RealBench successfully for about 1 hour, Windows starts very slow and a MemTest86 run shows errors after only 4 minutes.
At the moment, I am running the KIT @3200MHz with 15-15-15-35, 1.350V and so far, it seems stable. MemTest86 does not show any errors.
Not holding my breath, but hoping for a future BIOS update that will actually support this memory KIT as stated on QVL link above.

So I guess the question is: does anyone else have this memory KIT and can run it at XMP spec? Or at least a manual setup at XMP spec?
Maybe I have such bad luck to hit two bad kits in a row?

3200Mhz with 15-15-15-35, 1.350V

Thank you.
40 REPLIES 40

Deepcuts wrote:
If you are referring to https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?100212-ROG-Strix-Z370-G-WIFI-AC-4-Dimms-Slot-Problem/page2 you stated that "I don't have that kit, sorry"

Please note that I am talking about
CMR32GX4M4C3466C16

I know which kit you're talking about. Like I said in post #29, people were saying they had issues with the 16GB variants, too. However, on our side, said kits are stable. Given that, it's no surprise the BIOS isn't being updated for anything related. No replication = no update.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Someone was reporting similar issues with the 16GB kits, too. I tested all three variants that Corsair makes and they were all stable on the board. With that being the case, you're likely going to need to tune things yourself.

Raja@ASUS - Are you talking about them being stable at 3466Mhz?? If so how about shoot some of those tweaking numbers around! If you're talking about the 3466 Kits running stable at 2133, I don't think that's what this discussion is about.

ssuteck wrote:
Raja@ASUS - Are you talking about them being stable at 3466Mhz??

I'm talking about the kits I tested being stable at the XMP frequency.

ssuteck wrote:

If so how about shoot some of those tweaking numbers around!

All I did was load XMP. Didn't need to tweak. The kits passed stability tests.

OK, so they ran at 3200Mhz just by using XMP? Great! So even though your (ASUS's) QVL don't have them listed as XMP enabled some of the memory will still run using the XMP mode at the higher speeds? That's good news. I wonder why the testers didn't try xmp mode on all the memory they tested and then labeled them with it? Especially when some of your techs are telling people that if it isn't listed as XMP in the QVL then ya'll don't guarantee it will. It sure would make a better selling point for the motherboard(s) I know my G-Skills sure don't do that at 3466. Anyway, Thanks for clearing that up about XMP mode and replying to my questions.

ssuteck wrote:
OK, so they ran at 3200Mhz just by using XMP?

Yes. Thought my post made that quite clear.

ssuteck wrote:

Great! So even though your (ASUS's) QVL don't have them listed as XMP enabled some of the memory will still run using the XMP mode at the higher speeds?

It might and it might not. Overclocking isn't guaranteed.

ssuteck wrote:

That's good news. I wonder why the testers didn't try xmp mode on all the memory they tested and then labeled them with it?

Not sure which 'testers' and kits you are referring to. I'm referring to kits I personally tested.

ssuteck wrote:

Especially when some of your techs are telling people that if it isn't listed as XMP in the QVL then ya'll don't guarantee it will. It sure would make a better selling point for the motherboard(s) I know my G-Skills sure don't do that at 3466.

Not sure why they would tell you it is guaranteed to work if they haven't tested it. Seems a fairly logical response when you are not sure if something will work or not.

Deepcuts
Level 10
I would like to thank the team that made BIOS update 1401 and finally fixed the issue with this memory KIT and Maximus X HERO.
The memory is working in XMP mode without any issue.
I could have done without all those "tweak SA, IO, etc voltages" and so much lost time.

@Raja, when you said "However, on our side, said kits are stable", I guess you were using 1401 without telling us.
/s

Deepcuts wrote:

@Raja, when you said "However, on our side, said kits are stable", I guess you were using 1401 without telling us.
/s

No, because it (the 1401 UEFI build) wasn't even made at that time. Anyone that overclocks knows (or should know) that there is variance in CPUs, memory controllers, and even memory kits.

Deepcuts
Level 10
You missed the /s somehow.

Raja
Level 13
The /s is quoted in my post. Thought it wiser to clarify given that this is a public forum.

Deepcuts
Level 10

To clarify because this is a public forum.
What I meant by /s (sarcasm) is that nobody at Asus, including you Raja, tested this exact KIT and the QVL is only for show ( only JEDEC for this model as I later found out )
I know personally 4 people with the exact motherboard, RAM and CPU model with the exact same problem prior to 1401. Now everyone is golden.
I know at least 2 users on this forums with the exact motherboard, RAM and CPU model with the exact same problem. Don't know if 1401 solved the problem for them but I hope so.

But better late then never.