cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant get G.skill kit working on Z370 Maximus X Formula

NarfTV
Level 7
Hi folks,

As the title mentioned i cant get my G.Skill kit stable on my Z370 ROG Maximus X Formula.
Im using it with an 8700k.

kit: F4-3600C15D-16GTZ

Its in the QVL, XMP profile isnt working stable (Karhu is finding errors within minutes)
So i swapped out the kit at the vendor where i bought it believing that it could be a defective kit or something, got a new one and it does the same thing.
I tried manually adjusting VCCIO and SA voltages step by step

1.10v/1.15v, 1.15v/1.20v, 1.20v/1.25v, 1.25v/1.30v, 1.30v/1.32v all this voltages with DRAM voltage paired from 1.35v to 1.45v
Didnt touched the timings, but also tried Mode1 and Mode2, also tried different bios versions. (1003-1602)

All tests are done with CPU oc to 5GHz Cache OC to 4500, and also without any OC on bios defaults with a cache multiplier of 40.
I can only get it stable when using a lower Memory Bandwidth (3466 f.e. works stable when the rest is set to XMP/Auto)

Is my Board defective? Should i return it? Im afraid that the IMC of coffeelake shouldnt be an issue and by already swaping the kit that it has something to do with the board. Every Help is appreciated.

Greetings

John
79 REPLIES 79

NarfTV wrote:
Are you using the Formula? Your profile says Hero.

Hero X WiFi. What I wanted to point out is that sometimes QVL is not the holy grail if something works or not.

FZero wrote:
Hero X WiFi. What I wanted to point out is that sometimes QVL is not the holy grail if something works or not.

But the Hero X is in the QVL of the RAM on the G.Skill site.
https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3600c15d-16gtz

NarfTV wrote:
But the Hero X is in the QVL of the RAM on the G.Skill site.
https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-3600c15d-16gtz

G.SKILL's QVL appears to be quite accurate.

The boards that they say can run the XMP profiles of a specific memory do seem to work and the ones that they say can't, won't. The Formula seems to be limited in this respect compared to the Apex or the Hero.

At least G.SKILL takes the time to test each board individually with each kit of memory.

Trading latency for speed is a well known trick but it's hardly worth the effort.

Well running so early into Board limitations is a shame for the formula brand. Cant be the final thing. Cant believe it. If this is really the case, well than i feel forced to sell the board and get something better for not even half the price.

I mean i wasnt expecting huge from this board since its a showcase board but ddr4-3600 is more or less the new standard when it comes to coffeelake, a board that cant do this is bad enough, but a premium price tagged board that is limited so early is even worse. Its not like ive bought a 4400KIT or something. An 8700k that cant do 4133 with its new IMC has also to be found yet. All of them can or should do atleast 4133.

Thats why i thought the only reason for it to not work is because it got released later and therefore might have still some Bios issues that could cause it.

NarfTV wrote:
Well running so early into Board limitations is a shame for the formula brand. Cant be the final thing. Cant believe it. If this is really the case, well than i feel forced to sell the board and get something better for not even half the price.

I mean i wasnt expecting huge from this board since its a showcase board but ddr4-3600 is more or less the new standard when it comes to coffeelake, a board that cant do this is bad enough, but a premium price tagged board that is limited so early is even worse. Its not like ive bought a 4400KIT or something. An 8700k that cant do 4133 with its new IMC has also to be found yet. All of them can or should do atleast 4133.

Thats why i thought the only reason for it to not work is because it got released later and therefore might have still some Bios issues that could cause it.

lol, it's not a board limitation. The board can handle those speeds fine. In fact they're probably more than capable of running beyond 4500. The limitation is the memory IC and processor. You may not have the best CPU there, which is why you're having to relax things...

Some CPU need more work than others, unfortunately. There is no magic bullet when it comes to memory profiles. I'm sure you can get to 4000Mhz and possibly beyond with some work.

All points covered by Praz here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98041-Understanding-and-using-XMP
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
lol, it's not a board limitation. The board can handle those speeds fine. In fact they're probably more than capable of running beyond 4500. The limitation is the memory IC and processor. You may not have the best CPU there, which is why you're having to relax things...

Some CPU need more work than others, unfortunately. There is no magic bullet when it comes to memory profiles. I'm sure you can get to 4000Mhz and possibly beyond with some work.

All points covered by Praz here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98041-Understanding-and-using-XMP

Yea ive read that, but there is no IMC limitation on coffeelake within those low speeds. google it up. Only board/RAM limitations exist.
Otherwise increasing/decreasing VCCIO/SA would help.

Also there must be a reason why only slow kits are in the G.Skill QVL for the formula...

NarfTV wrote:
Yea ive read that, but there is no IMC limitation on coffeelake within those low speeds. google it up. Only board/RAM limitations exist.
Otherwise increasing/decreasing VCCIO/SA would help.

Also there must be a reason why only slow kits are in the G.Skill QVL for the formula...

It's not a limitation, it's more of an alignment issue. Not all CPUs are the same, which is why tuning manually can often be required. The other penalty is using 2 DIMM kits on the Formula due to the T-Topology layout which favours 4 DIMM. VCCSA can help, but again there's no magic bullet there, either.

Silent Scone wrote:
It's not a limitation, it's more of an alignment issue. Not all CPUs are the same, which is why tuning manually can often be required. The other penalty is using 2 DIMM kits on the Hero due to the T-Topology layout which favours 4 DIMM. VCCSA can help, but again there's no magic bullet there, either.

In this case it has nothing to do with the hero board or CPU. Its just the formula and code boards that arent reliably capable of using low latency ram above DDR4 3200 (yet?). We'll see what the future brings, but i bet if i would try my CPU and RAM in a friends HeroX or Taichi it would work flawlessly.

Maybe ill ask one and try it just to proof the point.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
You may need to work on the secondarys a little more.

BIOS update isn't guaranteed to help. Memory rules do change from time to time, however, it's best to dial things in manually. Rules on the Hero will be tighter than on the 370-P, so you'd have been having better luck, perhaps. Just at the cost of performance.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
NarfTV wrote:
In this case it has nothing to do with the hero board or CPU. Its just the formula and code boards that arent reliably capable of using low latency ram above DDR4 3200 (yet?). We'll see what the future brings, but i bet if i would try my CPU and RAM in a friends HeroX or Taichi it would work flawlessly.

Maybe ill ask one and try it just to proof the point.

I meant the Formula, not Hero, although my above statement is still true for both as they both use the same DRAM topology.

You could do that, yes. in the same way that I could buy that memory kit and get it working on a Formula.