cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't upgrade to Windows 11 due to kabylakepch-hsystem.inf not being updated.

Danomite
Level 8
I have a Maximus X Hero with a 8700K processor.

Below is what I get in the SetupDiagResults.log following an attempt to upgrade to Windows 11. This is the only error I get in the log which apparently is preventing me from upgrading? According to this I should either update the driver or remove it.

----------

Error: Found a device installation failure during device install phase.
Device Installation failure detected!
Device Description: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A2A1
HardwareId: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A2A1&SUBSYS_872F1043&REV_00\3&11583659&0&FA
Inf Name: kabylakepch-hsystem.inf
Driver Version: 10.1.1.38

Recommend you update the driver package or remove the device and drivers, and try again.

------------

Asus EZ Update has been telling me for a while now that I can update the Intel Chipset Driver from 10.1.1.38 to 10.1.1.44 but after updating it, it still gives me the same message that I need to update it.

-----------------
I installed Intel Driver Support Assistant and it tells me I'm up to date.
-----------------
I tried searching on Intel's website for the latest Z390 drivers, found this link ... https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19406/intel-management-engine-driver-for-windows-8-...
tried running their ..ME_SW_MSI\SetupME.exe but I it fails and when I check the logs it has a 1603 error.

----------------

Driver Store Explorer shows me the following versions.

I have a 8700K CPU, so this is Coffee Lake not Kaby Lake, correct? Why do I need Kaby Lake drivers on my PC?
So I tried deleting the kabylakepch-hsystem.inf driver from within Driver Store Explorer but I get an error saying the driver may still be in use. Try FORCE delete. How do I force delete? And should I even be deleting this driver?

------------

And note my BIOS is at Version 2701

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

dingo99
Level 10
Okay, so DSE says the driver is in use, but what about Windows Device Manager? Are any Kaby Lake devices showing up, such as:
Intel(R) PMC - A2A1
Intel(R) 7th Generation Processor Family PMC - A2A1
Intel(R) 200 Series Chipset Family PMC - A2A1

Also, you should try updating using the Chipset INF Utility, not ME Components. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19347/chipset-inf-utility.html

Hi Dingo, thanks for the reply. Below is a screenshot of my device manager, so it does appear that I have "Intel(R) 200 Series Chipset Family PMC - A2A1" in use. But with that said, I don't think I'll be pursuing this upgrade any further, the reason I was anxious to get it to work now is that I've been getting intermittent Blue Screens the past couple weeks, I would get the BSODs right after a reboot when trying to launch any software, but it only seemed to happen if I didn't wait for all the background apps to finish loading. So I was hoping a Windows upgrade would fix that. But today I had to reboot and I couldn't even get back into windows, I couldn't even get into safe mode. But just now I luckily got in after rebooting more than a dozen times. So I'm going for a clean install of Windows 11 instead, just finished creating my bootable usb drive (hope it works). And trying to back-up what I can remember I need from my user profile and boot drive. I upgraded to windows 10 from 7 and haven't done a clean install in quite a few years, so it's about time.

dingo99 wrote:
Okay, so DSE says the driver is in use, but what about Windows Device Manager ? Are any Kaby Lake devices showing up, such as:
Intel(R) PMC - A2A1
Intel(R) 7th Generation Processor Family PMC - A2A1
Intel(R) 200 Series Chipset Family PMC - A2A1

Also, you should try updating using the Chipset INF Utility, not ME Components. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19347/chipset-inf-utility.html

Surprised you don't have the Z390, if you say you have the Z390 motherboard.

Apart from that off topic, I've never had a single update since EZ ubdate in 3 years, have you had one often ?

Otherwise, for single updates of your motherboard is here:
https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-xi-hero-model/helpdesk_download/

dubignyp wrote:
Surprised you don't have the Z390, if you say you have the Z390 motherboard.

Apart from that off topic, I've never had a single update since EZ ubdate in 3 years, have you had one often ?

Otherwise, for single updates of your motherboard is here:
https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-xi-hero-model/helpdesk_download/

ez update is worthless

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

Don't install the Chipset drivers from Windows Update - Optional updates, this is what caused your issue.

They are recognizable by their dates which are other than the 07/18/1968 (Note from Intel : Intel(R) Chipset Device Software uses an unusual date for the devices it is targeting. The date 07/18/1968 is symbolic - Intel was founded that day) :

Since you installed the Chipset drivers from Windows Update - Optional updates, follow this process :

- Uninstall your current Intel Chipset Drivers package if you have any installed (via Start > Settings > Apps) then restart your PC.
- Launch Driver Store Explorer (Right click on "Rapr.exe" > Run as administrator) > Check the boxes of all versions of drivers which .inf ending with system in the System device category (if you find them).
- Check the box "Force Deletion" then click on the "Delete Driver" button then restart your PC.
- Install the latest Intel Chipset Drivers package from the first post of this thread : [DRIVERS] Intel Chipset/MEI/SATA/VMD (1xx/2xx/3xx/4xx/5xx/6xx/7xx).

Also, you need these firmware/drivers for your ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero motherboard :

[FIRMWARE] Intel ME (H110/B150/H170/Z170/B250/H270/Z270/B365/Z370)

[DRIVERS] Intel Chipset/MEI/SATA/VMD (1xx/2xx/3xx/4xx/5xx/6xx/7xx)

- Intel Chipset Drivers

- Intel MEI Drivers (Drivers Only)

- Intel SATA AHCI-RAID Drivers (Drivers Only) :

Drivers - 2xx/3xx

[DRIVERS] ASMedia SATA/USB

- ASMedia USB Drivers (Drivers Only) :

Drivers - ASM2xxx

[DRIVERS] Intel Ethernet/WiFi/Bluetooth

- Intel Ethernet Drivers (Drivers Only) :

Drivers - I217/I218/I219

[DRIVERS] Realtek Audio (Intel 2xx/3xx/4xx/5xx/6xx/7xx & AMD 3xx/4xx/5xx/6xx)

You have an ASUS ROG SS3 motherboard, so :

You need Realtek Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3) from the first post of the thread.

Follow scrupulously your CLEANUP process then your INSTALL process, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow your UPDATE process.

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

Don't install the Chipset drivers from Windows Update - Optional updates, this is what caused your issue.

They are recognizable by their dates which are other than the 07/18/1968 (Note from Intel : Intel(R) Chipset Device Software uses an unusual date for the devices it is targeting. The date 07/18/1968 is symbolic - Intel was founded that day) :

Since you installed the Chipset drivers from Windows Update - Optional updates, follow this process :

- Uninstall your current Intel Chipset Drivers package if you have any installed (via Start > Settings > Apps) then restart your PC.
- Launch Driver Store Explorer (Right click on "Rapr.exe" > Run as administrator) > Check the boxes of all versions of drivers which .inf ending with system in the System device category (if you find them).
- Check the box "Force Deletion" then click on the "Delete Driver" button then restart your PC.
- Install the latest Intel Chipset Drivers package from the first post of this thread : [DRIVERS] Intel Chipset/MEI/SATA/VMD (1xx/2xx/3xx/4xx/5xx/6xx/7xx).

Also, you need these firmware/drivers for your ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) motherboard :

[DRIVERS] Intel Chipset/MEI/SATA/VMD (1xx/2xx/3xx/4xx/5xx/6xx/7xx)

- Intel Chipset Drivers

Drivers - 2xx/3xx

[DRIVERS] ASMedia SATA/USB

- ASMedia USB Drivers (Drivers Only) :

Drivers - ASM2xxx

Drivers - I217/I218/I219

[DRIVERS] Realtek Ethernet/WiFi/Bluetooth

- Realtek WiFi Drivers (Drivers Only) :

Drivers - 8723DE/8821CE/8822xE

- Realtek Bluetooth Drivers (Drivers Only)

You need Realtek Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG SS3) from the first post of the thread.

Follow scrupulously your CLEANUP process then your INSTALL process, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow your UPDATE process.

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

They are recognizable by their dates which are other than the 07/18/1968 (Note from Intel : Intel(R) Chipset Device Software uses an unusual date for the devices it is targeting. The date 07/18/1968 is symbolic - Intel was founded that day).

Also, you need these firmware/drivers for your ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) motherboard :

[DRIVERS] Intel Chipset/MEI/SATA (1xx/2xx/3xx/4xx/5xx)

- Intel Chipset Drivers

Drivers - 2xx/3xx

Drivers - I217/I218/I219

[DRIVERS] Realtek Ethernet/WiFi/Bluetooth

- Realtek WiFi Drivers (Drivers Only) :

Drivers - 8723DE/8821CE/8822xE

- Realtek Bluetooth Drivers (Drivers Only)

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

Thanks Mokichu, as I mentioned above I decided to do a clean install of Windows 11 instead of an upgrade. But your post is perfect timing as I'm in the process of updating all my drivers and I want to do it right this time.

thanks,

Danomite wrote:
MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

They are recognizable by their dates which are other than the 07/18/1968 (Note from Intel : Intel(R) Chipset Device Software uses an unusual date for the devices it is targeting. The date 07/18/1968 is symbolic - Intel was founded that day).

Thanks Mokichu, as I mentioned above I decided to do a clean install of Windows 11 instead of an upgrade. But your post is perfect timing as I'm in the process of updating all my drivers and I want to do it right this time.

thanks,

Well, this "rule" (Don't installing the Chipset drivers from Windows Update - Optional updates) will also be valid for your new install.

Also, refer to this thread : [INFORMATION] Windows 11 : Get Ready