cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new Maximus XII Apex won't shut down with windows

1mluer
Level 11
Hey Guys,

I was posting this to see if anyone has any thoughts on it. I loaded up my new Maximus XII Apex today and got it setup and running well. Easy as always. I go to shut down the machine via windows and boom problem. Windows will shut down. The motherboard looks like it cycles down and the QCode shows 00. I think the system thinks it shut down but in reality all the fans start speeding up most of the system looks live because of it.

I do notice some usb devices do shut down such as my Ryujin 360 goes dark like it should. Additionally the gskill RAM goes dark too like normal. The Riing Plus fans stay on and the RGB is lit up as well as the Ryujin fans it seems are still run.

I cleared CMOS and upgraded bios to 0607 which was recently released. Still the same thing. I am still troubleshooting without luck so far eliminating non essential connected devices. No luck so far. I have a ASUS Thor 1200P power supply so I know that is good.

I am not sure what the QFAN stuff is all about but it's all disabled. Armory Crate loaded with the new windows and seems to be running great loading all devices and is easily configured and saved.
InWin 909 Silver RGB build
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti
Gskill Trident Royal 4400 16g

Everything overclocked and love it.
ROG Awesomeness !!!!
38 REPLIES 38

Gofran
Level 8
did you install these Chipset
Version 1952.14.0.1470
2020/05/11152.42 MBytes
Intel(R) Management Engine Interface V1952.14.0.1470 for Windows 10 64-bit.(WHQL)

DOWNLOAD
Version 10.1.18263.8193
2020/05/115.4 MBytes
Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility V10.1.18263.8193 for Windows 10 64-bit.(WHQL)

DOWNLOAD
Version 10.1.18295.8201
2020/04/245.48 MBytes
Intel Chipset Driver
Support 19H1/19H2

Gofran wrote:
did you install these Chipset
Version 1952.14.0.1470
2020/05/11152.42 MBytes
Intel(R) Management Engine Interface V1952.14.0.1470 for Windows 10 64-bit.(WHQL)

DOWNLOAD
Version 10.1.18263.8193
2020/05/115.4 MBytes
Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility V10.1.18263.8193 for Windows 10 64-bit.(WHQL)

DOWNLOAD
Version 10.1.18295.8201
2020/04/245.48 MBytes
Intel Chipset Driver
Support 19H1/19H2

I Installed everything on the support page for the new motherboard. I did chipset, management engine and drivers.. I will reinstall those again. but shut down via the power button should not be affected by software. It's a natural function of the bios I believe. Eitherway via windows or power button gives same result. I will give it a try again 🙂
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
Right click the start button and Power & shutdown.
Or simply winkey+x and uu for power & shutdown.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThrashZone wrote:
Hi,
Right click the start button and Power & shutdown.
Or simply winkey+x and uu for power & shutdown.

LOl just tried your windows key X and uu same thing. It's just shutting down windows without the mouse 🙂

At this point I am sure I need a new motherboard. I haven't heard of any CPU's causing issues.
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!

1mluer
Level 11
UPDATE: ASUS support says it the motherboard. I am working on getting replacement first and or RMA.

Thanks for everyone's help. I like these exercises.. gives everyone a chance to see something new and ponder why something isn't working correctly.

Thanks again.
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!

m4ttjirm
Level 7
I would try a fresh install of windows if I was you. One last go before you send it back in.

m4ttjirm wrote:
I would try a fresh install of windows if I was you. One last go before you send it back in.

Thanks for the input.. I can't shut the board down using the power button either. Not sure how windows would play in this scenario
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!

1mluer wrote:
Thanks for the input.. I can't shut the board down using the power button either. Not sure how windows would play in this scenario

Reinstall windows as a test on a new hard drive or completely clean partition. Heck, grab a USB drive and install Linux or Ubuntu on it. If it shuts down in Ubuntu then you instantly know its your migrated windows causing it.
You do have a USB drive, don't you? Or a spare disk drive sitting around?
Installing Linux on a usb drive would take mere minutes with Rufus or another linux iso installer.

If you do a windows install on a new disk drive, remove the one with the existing windows boot sector to avoid issues as that is just a shutdown test.

Sounds like you took a Z390 windows install and put it on Z490 or something.

Falkentyne wrote:
Reinstall windows as a test on a new hard drive or completely clean partition. Heck, grab a USB drive and install Linux or Ubuntu on it. If it shuts down in Ubuntu then you instantly know its your migrated windows causing it.
You do have a USB drive, don't you? Or a spare disk drive sitting around?
Installing Linux on a usb drive would take mere minutes with Rufus or another linux iso installer.

If you do a windows install on a new disk drive, remove the one with the existing windows boot sector to avoid issues as that is just a shutdown test.

Sounds like you took a Z390 windows install and put it on Z490 or something.

I didn't migrate windows. I purchased 2 new 1tb 970 evo plus SSD's and loaded fresh windows.. I am selling my old Z390 Apex, the i9-9900k and 2 970 Pro ssds as a package so I didn't break them up. ASUS already confirmed it is hardware during our troubleshooting session.
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!

1mluer wrote:
I didn't migrate windows. I purchased 2 new 1tb 970 evo plus SSD's and loaded fresh windows.. I am selling my old Z390 Apex, the i9-9900k and 2 970 Pro ssds as a package so I didn't break them up. ASUS already confirmed it is hardware during our troubleshooting session.

I noticed, on my system (not Apex) that the Win 10 Insiders build, on the updates page has a link for View Optional Updates. The description states if you are having problems you might try this update. It may not show on a public build, but the update is an Intel Watchdog Timer Driver.

As far as the i9, I registered for a Preorder on 5/13, even though they weren't released until 5/20 but could not finish the order. When an i7 came available, I grabbed it so I could test my install. First time for running liquid CPU cooling so I was a little concerned.. I wonder how long before the i9s will be available, hopefully by the time the new Nvidia cards come out... 😉
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200