cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new Maximus XII Apex won't shut down with windows

1mluer
Level 11
Hey Guys,

I was posting this to see if anyone has any thoughts on it. I loaded up my new Maximus XII Apex today and got it setup and running well. Easy as always. I go to shut down the machine via windows and boom problem. Windows will shut down. The motherboard looks like it cycles down and the QCode shows 00. I think the system thinks it shut down but in reality all the fans start speeding up most of the system looks live because of it.

I do notice some usb devices do shut down such as my Ryujin 360 goes dark like it should. Additionally the gskill RAM goes dark too like normal. The Riing Plus fans stay on and the RGB is lit up as well as the Ryujin fans it seems are still run.

I cleared CMOS and upgraded bios to 0607 which was recently released. Still the same thing. I am still troubleshooting without luck so far eliminating non essential connected devices. No luck so far. I have a ASUS Thor 1200P power supply so I know that is good.

I am not sure what the QFAN stuff is all about but it's all disabled. Armory Crate loaded with the new windows and seems to be running great loading all devices and is easily configured and saved.
InWin 909 Silver RGB build
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti
Gskill Trident Royal 4400 16g

Everything overclocked and love it.
ROG Awesomeness !!!!
38 REPLIES 38

1mluer
Level 11
I don't have a power supply yet. How can I go from a perfectly working Z390 system, power down completely, remove the motherboard and replace it with the Z490 motherboard, plug everything back in which was almost 100% identical slots and locations that the Z390 system had and have these problems.

Here is a pic of everything turned off and unplugged except the motherboard and the Ryujin 360. I am a little nervous unplugging the Ryujin but I can do it. I don't want to overheat the processor. No other lights or fans are connected etc.. everything is unplugged from power / data and all USB connections besides Balteous and 2nd usb port, claymore, blue microphone, logitech G900 mouse. there was only 1 RGB add header and its unplugged too.

The motherboard isn't shutting down.

i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!

1mluer
Level 11
I went one step further.. now the Ryujin 360 is completely unplugged from power supply and data..

i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!

Shamino
unplug ur display cable

Shamino wrote:
unplug ur display cable

Vary interesting conclusion, I hope Shamino is correct and replacing your Displayport cable is the issue.

Generally standard external Displayport cables between graphics card and monitor do not connect pin 20 (power). But a cable that is out of specs, or a Captive attached cable often includes the power wire.

Cheers...

1mluer
Level 11
I did in these next series of videos.. It's the board here's why.

This video shows the z490 before I swap it back to Z390

I swap it back out with the Z390 works perfect.
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
Just got my z490 apex up and running
No issues shutting down at all though

Tried lots of bios on 0607 on bios 1 & 0069 on bios 2 atm
Legacy install though csm activated/ fast start off/ secure boot off/ ARMOURY CRATE disabled in bios/ aura off as well.

Only issue I had was the full speed fan switch was on caused a little head scratching why fans were well 100% lol 😮
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThrashZone wrote:
Hi,
Just got my z490 apex up and running
No issues shutting down at all though

Tried lots of bios on 0607 on bios 1 & 0069 on bios 2 atm
Legacy install though csm activated/ fast start off/ secure boot off/ ARMOURY CRATE disabled in bios/ aura off as well.

Only issue I had was the full speed fan switch was on caused a little head scratching why fans were well 100% lol 😮

I tried the 0403 and updated to the 0607 bios. This board probably has bad vrm or someting .. even the 5v is only 4.92 in the readings.

Outstanding ThrashZone .. you from the UK ? anyway thanks for helping. Everyone thanks for helping.

What did it for me was when I put the z390 apex in place of the z490 and it worked perfect.. popped the Z490 in and boom back to not shutting off.
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!

1mluer wrote:
I tried the 0403 and updated to the 0607 bios. This board probably has bad vrm or someting .. even the 5v is only 4.92 in the readings.

Outstanding ThrashZone .. you from the UK ? anyway thanks for helping. Everyone thanks for helping.

What did it for me was when I put the z390 apex in place of the z490 and it worked perfect.. popped the Z490 in and boom back to not shutting off.

Hi,
Negative USA
I believe it would be a good start to disable some of the stuff I mentioned in bios
Start with aura sync and then go to fast start/ secure boot/... see if the issue disappears

Use command prompt as administrator and enter powercfg -h off to turn off fast start in win-10
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ThrashZone wrote:
Hi,
Negative USA
I believe it would be a good start to disable some of the stuff I mentioned in bios
Start with aura sync and then go to fast start/ secure boot/... see if the issue disappears

Use command prompt as administrator and enter powercfg -h off to turn off fast start in win-10

Aye double checked just now. I turned off Fast Start in the beginning or troubleshooting. I will try with some of the bios stuff you suggested. personally I think it's firmware or bios related especially how it acts booting up. I have been building high end asus machines since 1992. I can tell when somethings off.

Let you know after I turn off all that stuff. Most of it is off like secure boot etc.. back in a bit.

UPDATE: no change after turning all the suggested items in bios. After that I started having a little fun and turned on the AI overclocking and XMP profile. The systems runs the memory at 4600mhz and the cpu was regularly at 5.2ghz . If I manually OC'd it I am sure I could get more out of the CPU LOL 🙂 Good stuff I just wish it would go home for the night when I do 🙂
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!

1mluer
Level 11
Here is a video of having no connected display or power running through video cable

I just think I have a bad board. it doesn't even shut down reset bios or memory train.
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!