cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new Maximus XII Apex won't shut down with windows

1mluer
Level 11
Hey Guys,

I was posting this to see if anyone has any thoughts on it. I loaded up my new Maximus XII Apex today and got it setup and running well. Easy as always. I go to shut down the machine via windows and boom problem. Windows will shut down. The motherboard looks like it cycles down and the QCode shows 00. I think the system thinks it shut down but in reality all the fans start speeding up most of the system looks live because of it.

I do notice some usb devices do shut down such as my Ryujin 360 goes dark like it should. Additionally the gskill RAM goes dark too like normal. The Riing Plus fans stay on and the RGB is lit up as well as the Ryujin fans it seems are still run.

I cleared CMOS and upgraded bios to 0607 which was recently released. Still the same thing. I am still troubleshooting without luck so far eliminating non essential connected devices. No luck so far. I have a ASUS Thor 1200P power supply so I know that is good.

I am not sure what the QFAN stuff is all about but it's all disabled. Armory Crate loaded with the new windows and seems to be running great loading all devices and is easily configured and saved.
InWin 909 Silver RGB build
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti
Gskill Trident Royal 4400 16g

Everything overclocked and love it.
ROG Awesomeness !!!!
38 REPLIES 38

Saltgrass
Level 13
It is normal for these systems.. The only reason I know is because my system was taking about 3 seconds to the desktop when I pressed the power button after shutting down from Windows.

I saw the Q code was 40 when the system came up, and you can check your manual, but it seems the shutdown command from Windows is actually putting the system into hibernation..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

1mluer
Level 11
Qcode 40 is windows starting in fast boot mode.. it's normal
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!

1mluer wrote:
Qcode 40 is windows starting in fast boot mode.. it's normal

Q code 40 is "System is waking up from S4 Sleep State" which is hibernation. Fast boot mode in the Bios may be different than Fast Startup in Win 10. I will go through my Bios settings to see if those make a difference.. I was thinking Fast Boot mode just skipped or delayed some of the normal startup items but the system was still going through a Boot process, not a wake from hibernation..

But what you are wanting is a system that, after being "Shutdown" using Win 10, will turn off and need a complete reboot when the power button is pressed?
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass
Level 13
I turned off Windows Fast startup and the system booted and showed the logo and spinning dots.. The Q code shows A0, which is what I am used to on my Z370 board..

On the 370 board, Fast Startup does not seem to have much effect..

I have seen some comments with some of the Insider builds not shutting down correctly but I am running a recent Dev build and it does not show this situation. Sorry I can't go back to the public build to test, at this time.. But none of my fans continue to run when being shutdown with or without Fast Startup.

I don't use armory crate.. And it is involved with the fans or at least the lighting..

I have been trying for over a month to get a i9 10900K processor but none are available on normal sites. I wonder it they found a glitch in that..?
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

I have also been trying to get i9-10900K chip since alleged launch/paper launch. I received Asus Apex XII board on 6/20/2020 that I pre-ordered on 5/13/2020.

Silicon Lottery will have i9-10900K chips in stock on (July 5th) https://siliconlottery.com/collections/cometlake/intel-i9-10900k

I bought a binned i7-10700K chip from Silicon Lottery a few weeks ago for Asus ProArt build and everything worked out fine no issues.

Braegnok wrote:
I have also been trying to get i9-10900K chip since alleged launch/paper launch. I received Asus Apex XII board on 6/20/2020 that I pre-ordered on 5/13/2020.

Silicon Lottery will have i9-10900K chips in stock on (July 5th) https://siliconlottery.com/collections/cometlake/intel-i9-10900k

I bought a binned i7-10700K chip from Silicon Lottery a few weeks ago for Asus ProArt build and everything worked out fine no issues.

July 5th? First it was June 23. Then it was June 28th. Now it's July 5th?
When July 5th comes, it will be July 20th. Mark my words.

Falkentyne wrote:
July 5th? First it was June 23. Then it was June 28th. Now it's July 5th?
When July 5th comes, it will be July 20th. Mark my words.

+1,.. they keep moving date back, it's vary frustrating.

Good luck to all in the 10th gen silicon lottery,..

1mluer
Level 11
Hi Gang,

I finally got a replacement Maximus XII Apex board and it works 100% perfect. It was in deed the motherboard at fault. First DOA I have ever had with ASUS and that is saying something with as many systems I have been building over the years 🙂
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!

Saltgrass
Level 13
Just in case it might happen again, there was another thread where the fans and lights were staying on. The OP's explanation is below along with the link to the thread..

fixed- it was a hanging OC app- cheers man 🙂

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power/pc-wont-fully-turn-off/7606c59a-7...
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200