cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot Operating System from USB stick

apyds1
Level 7
Is it possible to boot an operating system from a USB stick on ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming? I have tried going into the BIOS and changing every setting I can see to boot from USB but I just keep thinking I must be doing something wrong. What am I missing please?
4 REPLIES 4

Jesseinsf
Level 10
apyds1 wrote:
Is it possible to boot an operating system from a USB stick on ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming? I have tried going into the BIOS and changing every setting I can see to boot from USB but I just keep thinking I must be doing something wrong. What am I missing please?

What are you trying to do (or install), and what are the steps you took. If you are trying to install Windows then you need to create a bootable USB flash drive with Windows Installation Media using the Windows Media Creation Tool from Microsoft. Then you need to plug it in and restart in to the BIOS. Enable secure boot to boot into Windows, then reboot and keep pressing the F8 key to access the Boot Menu.

Jesseinsf wrote:
What are you trying to do (or install), and what are the steps you took. If you are trying to install Windows then you need to create a bootable USB flash drive with Windows Installation Media using the Windows Media Creation Tool from Microsoft. Then you need to plug it in and restart in to the BIOS. Enable secure boot to boot into Windows, then reboot and keep pressing the F8 key to access the Boot Menu.

Thanks for the response and apologies for the delay. I am trying to run a linux operating system from a USB stick. Its a EFI folder on the USB stick. However, the BIOS is just does not seem to allow for a boot from USB. Any idea how I can get it to do so?

apyds1 wrote:
Thanks for the response and apologies for the delay. I am trying to run a linux operating system from a USB stick. Its a EFI folder on the USB stick. However, the BIOS is just does not seem to allow for a boot from USB. Any idea how I can get it to do so?

Use an app called Ventoy. Once you format the USB stick using Ventoy, you can then drag and drop the Linux ISO on to the USB stick. Then (in BIOS) turn off Secure Boot and do not use CSM support. You should be able to boot to it now. 🙂

Download Ventoy HERE

xeromist
Just placing a folder isn't enough. You need to format it with a boot sector. There are various tools to do this, just Google a bit for "bootable usb".
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…