cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bluetooth suddenly stopped working

Philomorph
Level 8
I have a ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING that I've been running for just over a year. It's always worked great. Then suddenly this morning the Bluetooth stopped working.
It was working yesterday, but now the BT icon is gone from the tray, and when I go into BT settings, the toggle on/off switch is missing. I'm on WIndows 10 x64.

All my BT paired devices are still listed. BT is enabled in the BIOS (I didn't change anything).

The BT taht's built into my Vive is still listed in device manager, but that's separate from the on-board and can't be used for anything other than controlling the lighthouses.

Here's what I've tried to troubleshoot it:

Downloaded newest drivers from ASUS and installed - chipset, wifi, audio, and BT. The ASUS BT drivers just complain that BT isn't enabled, so they never install.

Rebooted into BIOS, turned off BT, updated firmware, re-enbaled BT => no change - BT still not showing.

I unplugged the Vive completely so now no BT devices show up in device manger.

I do now notice in Device Manager, under USB controllers, there's an item labelled "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)". I don't know if it's related, but the only events listed for it are from yesterday at 4 am (I would have been in bed, so maybe a windows update ran). The events say "Device not migrated due to a partial or ambiguous match". If I remove it and scan for new hardware it pops back up with exactly the same error events.

UPDATE: If I disable BT in the BIOS, this item goes away. So... hardware problem?

Any suggestions?
12 REPLIES 12

Phillyflyer
Level 10
Philomorph wrote:
I have a ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING that I've been running for just over a year. It's always worked great. Then suddenly this morning the Bluetooth stopped working.
It was working yesterday, but now the BT icon is gone from the tray, and when I go into BT settings, the toggle on/off switch is missing. I'm on WIndows 10 x64.

All my BT paired devices are still listed. BT is enabled in the BIOS (I didn't change anything).

The BT taht's built into my Vive is still listed in device manager, but that's separate from the on-board and can't be used for anything other than controlling the lighthouses.

Here's what I've tried to troubleshoot it:

Downloaded newest drivers from ASUS and installed - chipset, wifi, audio, and BT. The ASUS BT drivers just complain that BT isn't enabled, so they never install.

Rebooted into BIOS, turned off BT, updated firmware, re-enbaled BT => no change - BT still not showing.

I unplugged the Vive completely so now no BT devices show up in device manger.

I do now notice in Device Manager, under USB controllers, there's an item labelled "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)". I don't know if it's related, but the only events listed for it are from yesterday at 4 am (I would have been in bed, so maybe a windows update ran). The events say "Device not migrated due to a partial or ambiguous match". If I remove it and scan for new hardware it pops back up with exactly the same error events.

UPDATE: If I disable BT in the BIOS, this item goes away. So... hardware problem?

Any suggestions?

Try reverting back to previous BT driver.
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

Unfortunately none of the BT drivers from ASUS website will install - old or new. They all say "Confirm that Bluetooth is enabled on your system." and fail to install.

If I try to force the erroring device to update to the BT drivers from ASUS, it just says the drivers aren't compatible.

Phillyflyer
Level 10
Run the Intel Update Assistant for latest drivers
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

The Intel® Driver & Support Assistant? I've never tried that - it's Realtek BT, so would Intel support drivers for it?

Philomorph wrote:
The Intel® Driver & Support Assistant? I've never tried that - it's Realtek BT, so would Intel support drivers for it?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html
Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10Latest version: 20.110.0.3
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

Phillyflyer wrote:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html
Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10Latest version: 20.110.0.3

He has a Z370 board with Realtek Bluetooth not Intel.
Latest driver is 1.5.1012.3 for Win RS4 and 1.5.1014.3003 for RS5

Try to reset cmos then load optimized defaults in bios save and exit.
Once in windows shut down your pc and remove your psu from the wall then keep pressing power button to drain all power from your pc.
Wait at least 10 to 15 minutes then plug back in your Psu and power on your PC, if the problem is not gone try to re-flash your Bios.
Report back if your problem is fixed or not.

But i mostly think it is a Windows 10 issue.

if that does not work download DriverStoreExplorer
https://github.com/lostindark/DriverStoreExplorer

First Turn off Bluetooth in bios then once in Windows uninstall Bluetooth driver restart pc then run Rapr.exe as admin
From the list check boxes of any realtek Bluetooth drivers , then check the box Force Deletion then click on Delete Package.
Once deleted restart your pc and go straight into Bios and enable Bluetooth save and boot into Windows.
After a couple of minutes wait for Windows to install it's default Bluetooth driver then check your device manager again if problem is fixed .

kens30 wrote:

Once in windows shut down your pc and remove your psu from the wall then keep pressing power button to drain all power from your pc.
Wait at least 10 to 15 minutes then plug back in your Psu and power on your PC, if the problem is not gone try to re-flash your Bios.
Report back if your problem is fixed or not.

But i mostly think it is a Windows 10 issue.

if that does not work download DriverStoreExplorer
https://github.com/lostindark/DriverStoreExplorer

First Turn off Bluetooth in bios then once in Windows uninstall Bluetooth driver restart pc then run Rapr.exe as admin
From the list check boxes of any realtek Bluetooth drivers , then check the box Force Deletion then click on Delete Package.
Once deleted restart your pc and go straight into Bios and enable Bluetooth save and boot into Windows.
After a couple of minutes wait for Windows to install it's default Bluetooth driver then check your device manager again if problem is fixed .

Forgot OP was on z370....sorry....
Yes....it then may be a Windows 10 issue due to a recent update...had a couple this past week myself ...uninstalled them...and things back to normal.
Try a system restore prior to last Windows update....
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

Phillyflyer wrote:
Forgot OP was on z370....sorry....
Yes....it then may be a Windows 10 issue due to a recent update...had a couple this past week myself ...uninstalled them...and things back to normal.
Try a system restore prior to last Windows update....

Million thanks! Your instructions bring my disappeared BT back to life! Truly grateful to be saved!

kens30 wrote:

Doing this seems to have worked - I'll have to do some testing to confirm it sticks.

Thanks!