cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS 0606 Freezing games / or when installing software

s4nt0s
Level 7
Hello,

I seriously wish to complain with latest BIOS released for Strix z370-I. I have updated BIOS yesterday and updated the drivers on the page, and now when installing/removing software, the system freezes for a couple of minutes. I cannot play games anymore as eventually they just freeze and will crash.

I'm running stock settings, no overclock on the GPU or CPU. Can someone let me know if I can downgrade and how?

I also cleared CMOS after upgrading.


-----

I updated to the latest LAN/Wifi/Bluetooth/Audio/Chipset driver that has been latest released on the ASUS page.

I have just reverted back to 0605, with XMP profile (no CPU or GPU OC) and will let you know if I still have freezes.

Anyone with a 1080TI and i7-8700k experiencing issues?
8,809 Views
25 REPLIES 25

katlani
Level 9
Hi,

I have an 8700K and GTX1080Ti but when trying the UEFI EZ Flash Utility, it doesn't recognize the new 0606 version yet, so i'm still under 0605.

I read upon the performance discussion, i can see some are compalining about stuttering, here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/7oeh84/performance_impact_of_windows_patch_and_bios/

[–]Lixxon 1 point 3 hours ago
my friend said today he gotten stuttering on his i5 after this update... I havent updated myself yet to see how it is for me.

katlani wrote:
Hi,

I have an 8700K and GTX1080Ti but when trying the UEFI EZ Flash Utility, it doesn't recognize the new 0606 version yet, so i'm still under 0605.

I read upon the performance discussion, i can see some are compalining about stuttering, here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/7oeh84/performance_impact_of_windows_patch_and_bios/

[–]Lixxon 1 point 3 hours ago
my friend said today he gotten stuttering on his i5 after this update... I havent updated myself yet to see how it is for me.


Thanks mate. I can tell you that with that BIOS, with installing or uninstall software the PC just froze for minutes, and then would finalise. Every game would just freez and crash... Reverted back and system is working fine and no crashes anymore.

I did however install the latest drivers as mentioned... Please let me know how you get on, I thought these BIOS Updates would make the system more stable!

The BIOS update is probably the 0605 repacked with the revised Intel micro code update, which is supposed to nerf/downgrade your performance in certain areas due to an additional security overhead.

You should already have the update from MS to address some of the security issues, where combined with the BIOS update - are supposed to be fully covered.
I'm guessing, since Intel would like to supply a prompt security solution first and deal with the performance later, we are bound to suffer from it until a more suitable fix will be offered.

I'm still not sure whether to upgrade or not yet myself, getting mixed feelings reading upon the performance issues followed by the security updates.

katlani wrote:
The BIOS update is probably the 0605 repacked with the revised Intel micro code update, which is supposed to nerf/downgrade your performance in certain areas due to an additional security overhead.

You should already have the update from MS to address some of the security issues, where combined with the BIOS update - are supposed to be fully covered.
I'm guessing, since Intel would like to supply a prompt security solution first and deal with the performance later, we are bound to suffer from it until a more suitable fix will be offered.

I'm still not sure whether to upgrade or not yet myself, getting mixed feelings reading upon the performance issues followed by the security updates.


based on the issues I experienced just hold off if you want to play games. I'm hoping for people that have issues to report this so this can get looked into and that we get the performance we pay for.

I see, thanks.

More replies from that thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/7o7luk/asusz370a_prime_0606_bios_released_with_cpu/


[–]s3ruX 1 point an hour ago
i want it to believe asus do some trash job on bios 0606... everything is crancky and hiccups everywhere.

the bios microcode is for mitigate spectre v2 i think, with is the lesser "evil" you have to be physically on computer to do anything.

So i downgrade to bios 0605 and i will wait for news

In case Asus do right job and the microcode really ****ed everything man i wil want i money back.

[–]frostpudding 1 point an hour ago
Let me know if downgrading works for you! Like, if it even lets you do it at all. Lol.

permalinkembedsaveparentreportreply

[–]s3ruX 1 point 18 minutes ago
works... much more snap and smooth on everything.. no more frame drop and hiccups on games.

Just flash bios 0605 again



ASUS, i hope you are looking into it as i prefer having safety on my side, even for the price of a few FPS drops in games..

So.. what is the deal here?
Have anyone actually tried this bios version and not experiencing any side affects, other than a small performance decrease?

katlani wrote:
So.. what is the deal here?
Have anyone actually tried this bios version and not experiencing any side affects, other than a small performance decrease?


I reverted back and performance is fine, on the 0606 I have so many issues, and not just me. Nvidia released a new driver update and people are complaing about issues as well.

Best is too stay away untill a beter version is released

katlani wrote:
Hi,

I have an 8700K and GTX1080Ti but when trying the UEFI EZ Flash Utility, it doesn't recognize the new 0606 version yet, so i'm still under 0605.



What's the error message that's displayed by EZ Flash when you try to update? If using a USB flash drive, try a FAT format.

Hi,

Didn't say i get an error?
I just said that when i tried (almost a week ago), using the DHCP auto update option, it only recognized 0605 as the latest.
According to users comments, maybe i was lucky 🙂

Anyways, i'm not interested in updating until a more stable version comes out.. At least from Intel's perspective in the form of a new BIOS version from you.