cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus XI Extreme VRM

Sindica
Level 8
Is the vrm on the xi extreme any good? I cant find any info on it. Would like to know how many phases etc. Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

Is it good? Well, it's got a capability to provide plenty of juice to 9900k on liquid helium . Does it only have 5 separate phases? Sadly so.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yeah mate it is not going to give up the ghost easily. This whole who has the most phases thing is just a marketers wet dream if you ask me. Go have a look see how many WR set on ASUS boards and the kinds of voltages that they push at extreme clocks for hours on end to get the results they do.

Enjoy the board I love mine.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Sindica
Level 8
Thanks. I watched a video review of the XI Gene and it looks like the exact same vrm design. Looks to be a really solid 5phase vrm and wont hinder my overclock at all.
I will have the board by Dec 6. Really excited to put my 9900k build together.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Sindica do post up some pictures of your build please mate.

Enjoy you are going to have a blast with that board.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

mdzcpa
Level 12
The VRMs on the Gene and Extreme rock! World Records at every turn on these boards. And plenty of 24/7 guys on reddit with great success. And these boards are "only" 5 phase....LOL. Go figure!

Honestly, I'm so over this whole over hyped VRM phase count thing. In fact, for giggles I dusted off my custom water cooling loop and chiller. On the test bench my Hero IV/9900K is rock stable at 5.2ghz now, on all cores at 1.36v. And VRMs are still hardly warm to the touch. I'm going to get everything back into the case over the weekend and dial it back to 5-5.1Ghz on my ROG AIO cooler. But it was fun taking the 9900k for a real spin. The Hero XI didn't hold me back at all. I'm sure the Gene and Extreme are overkill (as they should be!)