cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

asus rog strix z390 f gaming 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps

djcuts
Level 7
Hi

My new setup throws out 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps on boot up.

From what I read in the manual this is something to do with no VGA detected, which isn't surprising as I have no VGA outputs on the motherboard or GPU

Everthing appears to work perfectly fine when booted so I am not sure there is actually an issue but the beeps are concerning.

This is what I have:

asus rog strix z390 f gaming
Intel Core i7 9700K 3.6 GHz Processor
MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB Graphics Card
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB Kit DDR4 3200MHz RAM
Samsung 970 EVO V-NAND M.2 250GB SSD
700 watt PSU
Various internal HDDs/SSD

Can anyone shed any light onto whether I should be worried or if there is anything I can do to stop the beeps?

Many thanks

DJC
1,099 Views
16 REPLIES 16

Qwest
Level 7
djcuts wrote:
Hi

My new setup throws out 1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps on boot up.

From what I read in the manual this is something to do with no VGA detected, which isn't surprising as I have no VGA outputs on the motherboard or GPU

Everthing appears to work perfectly fine when booted so I am not sure there is actually an issue but the beeps are concerning.

This is what I have:

asus rog strix z390 f gaming
Intel Core i7 9700K 3.6 GHz Processor
MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB Graphics Card
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB Kit DDR4 3200MHz RAM
Samsung 970 EVO V-NAND M.2 250GB SSD
700 watt PSU
Various internal HDDs/SSD

Can anyone shed any light onto whether I should be worried or if there is anything I can do to stop the beeps?

Many thanks

DJC


It is required to change the port version in the monitor settings, below 1.2

Hopamitica
Level 7
On my ROG Maximus xi Formula I disabled Fast Boot and set delay after POST to 5 sec.After that no long beep, no short beep nevermmore.

Hopamitica wrote:
On my ROG Maximus xi Formula I disabled Fast Boot and set delay after POST to 5 sec.After that no long beep, no short beep nevermmore.


That don't work in my case. This issue is driving me mad and seems is getting worse.

I have Z490 TUF gaming plus (new built) and have similar problem with this.

You guys returned the motherboard / live with it?


I will have 1 long beep follows by 3 short beep & VGA Q-LED on only when nothing connected to my GPU HDMI and this problem will be solved if i have a HDMI cable connected to my already on TV /Monitor.

the issue will be disappear when i have a HDMI connected to my already ON TV/ monitor.

Saputraj wrote:
I have Z490 TUF gaming plus (new built) and have similar problem with this.

You guys returned the motherboard / live with it?


I will have 1 long beep follows by 3 short beep & VGA Q-LED on only when nothing connected to my GPU HDMI and this problem will be solved if i have a HDMI cable connected to my already on TV /Monitor.

the issue will be disappear when i have a HDMI connected to my already ON TV/ monitor.



Hey, I ran into the same issue with my ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI) motherboard:

I had what to me was a strange issue with my ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI) motherboard when used with my ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1070-8G-GAMING graphics card. No problems when connected with HDMI to my ASUS VN247H-P Monitor, but when using the DisplayPort to connect to my ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ monitor I got no POST screen / no option to enter UEFI/BIOS / no F8 boot options. Of course, connecting the DisplayPort from CPU graphics (onboard connector) to my ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ monitor worked without issue.

Most of the time when booting with the DisplayPort connection from my ROG STRIX-GTX1070-8G-GAMING card to my TUF Gaming VG27AQ monitor I would get the No VGA internal pc speaker beep code (1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps). But even though the POST screen wouldn't show the monitor would work fine in Windows 10 after booting completed. It was maddening!

I beat my head against it for three days and even returned the first ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI) board to Amazon thinking it was defective. But when the replacement motherboard did the exact same thing I knew at that point it wasn't defective hardware. And I knew for sure my ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1070-8G-GAMING and my ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ monitor both worked perfectly as they'd both been used with my older build I was replacing.

Anyway, what fixed it for me was enabling "CSM (Compatibility Support Module)" in UEFI/BIOS. Enable Advanced mode and go here:

Boot --> CSM (Compatibility Support Module)
Launch CSM --> Enabled

Leaving all the CSM settings at defaults is fine.

Hopefully, this helps some people avoid going through three-days long headache I did figuring this out, lol.

vaughnb wrote:
hey, i ran into the same issue with my asus tuf gaming z490-plus (wi-fi) motherboard:

I had what to me was a strange issue with my asus tuf gaming z490-plus (wi-fi) motherboard when used with my asus rog strix-gtx1070-8g-gaming graphics card. No problems when connected with hdmi to my asus vn247h-p monitor, but when using the displayport to connect to my asus tuf gaming vg27aq monitor i got no post screen / no option to enter uefi/bios / no f8 boot options. Of course, connecting the displayport from cpu graphics (onboard connector) to my asus tuf gaming vg27aq monitor worked without issue.

Most of the time when booting with the displayport connection from my rog strix-gtx1070-8g-gaming card to my tuf gaming vg27aq monitor i would get the no vga internal pc speaker beep code (1 long beep followed by 3 short beeps). But even though the post screen wouldn't show the monitor would work fine in windows 10 after booting completed. It was maddening!

I beat my head against it for three days and even returned the first asus tuf gaming z490-plus (wi-fi) board to amazon thinking it was defective. But when the replacement motherboard did the exact same thing i knew at that point it wasn't defective hardware. And i knew for sure my asus rog strix-gtx1070-8g-gaming and my asus tuf gaming vg27aq monitor both worked perfectly as they'd both been used with my older build i was replacing.

Anyway, what fixed it for me was enabling "csm (compatibility support module)" in uefi/bios. Enable advanced mode and go here:

Boot --> csm (compatibility support module)
launch csm --> enabled

leaving all the csm settings at defaults is fine.

Hopefully, this helps some people avoid going through three-days long headache i did figuring this out, lol.


worked for me thank you so much

kwc813
Level 7
Check and see if your Aura is set to "STEALTH" in BIOS when the system is in sleep, soft off, etc. I think I remember it happening to me right after I tried to stop the MoBo from going rainbow all night long when I turned off the system for the evening, and that was the only setting I changed in BIOS. Turning my monitor on before powering on wasn't necessary before that.