cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula - power hungry?

pmfr01
Level 7
Hi.
I was reading this review on the Maximus XI Formula and, compared with the Extreme (with similar components), the Formula is almost twice as power hungry.
I bought a Maximus myself recently - before noticing this review had come out - and intend to run it with a simple i7-8700/no OC*, but being more power hungry than the Extreme wasn't something I was expecting. Am I to have this kind of power draw on a daily basis, even with a 'weaker' non-overclocked CPU? (I work at home and have my PC running for an average of 14 hours/day so power efficiency** is a concern)
Thanx.

PR

* I'm not an overclocker and yes, I know... this is a board for enthusiasts and the new Intel 9th generation CPUs - I just enjoy having one of the latest hottest ROG Motherboards. 😮
** I'm going to use a 750W 80+ Titanium PSU.
7 REPLIES 7

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello there could you pm me the link to that review please.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hi.
Click the word 'review'. 🙂

PR

Does not really say much at all. No idea what settings or auxiliary stuff was powered on when the comparisons were done. So many factors that determine the total draw from the wall. When I next speak to Tom I will ask him for more details.

I think that when a board has more 'stuff' included, those added value items will use more power. That being said it does seem a lot more than the Extreme.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
When I next speak to Tom I will ask him for more details.

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

PR

HiVizMan
Level 40
Cheers - reading now.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I slipped in a question...that seems too big a difference to me...ol' TTL might have to redo his homework?

pmfr01 wrote:
I'm going to use a 750W 80+ Titanium PSU.

Good choice!

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Good choice!

You know it. 😄

PR