cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus XI Series - New 1802 Bios

Vassilis008
Level 7
New bios released today. It works perfectly on my Asus Maximus XI Hero!

Version 1802
2020/12/15 8.17 MBytes
ROG MAXIMUS XI BIOS 1802
"Improve system stability
28 REPLIES 28

Jesseinsf wrote:
That's a graphics card issue.

@jesseinsf Can you please explain how this is related to my graphics card.

The system firmware has changed the processor's memory type range registers (MTRRs) across a sleep state transition (S4). This can result in reduced resume performance. S4 is hibernate and that is turned off.
If this is graphics card related how is it that bios 1602 does not throw up this error.

no1yak wrote:
@jesseinsf Can you please explain how this is related to my graphics card.

The system firmware has changed the processor's memory type range registers (MTRRs) across a sleep state transition (S4). This can result in reduced resume performance. S4 is hibernate and that is turned off.
If this is graphics card related how is it that bios 1602 does not throw up this error.

If you don't have a graphics driver then you don't have the ability to go in to sleep mode. The sleep option is not there. This means that the Graphics card has the same amount of responsibility for sleep mode as the OS does. It might be a graphics driver bug.Or it might be your card. Try a pre-RTX 30 series driver.

Jesseinsf wrote:
If you don't have a graphics driver then you don't have the ability to go in to sleep mode. The sleep option is not there. This means that the Graphics card has the same amount of responsibility for sleep mode as the OS does. It might be a graphics driver bug.Or it might be your card. Try a pre-RTX 30 series driver.

Thanks for your reply, tried another card (Nvidia 1060) and earlier drivers but , still getting same error. Also tried a clean install of 20H2 (on a spare SSD) and that made no difference .I'm convinced that this is a Bios problem because all bios versions up to and including 1602 this error did not exist .

can someone say more specifically what is new in the BIOS? on 1704 I did not have the stability of memory overclocking, unlike 1302 which I consider the most productive

no1yak wrote:
Thanks for your reply, tried another card (Nvidia 1060) and earlier drivers but , still getting same error. Also tried a clean install of 20H2 (on a spare SSD) and that made no difference .I'm convinced that this is a Bios problem because all bios versions up to and including 1602 this error did not exist .

A possible temp fix would be to turn of Hibernation. This may or may not work. Right now it seems to be a RAM issue with the new BIOS. You will still be able to put your PC to sleep. Hibernation basically saves what's in RAM over to the hard drive and then turns off the PC so now, when you turn your PC on, you can continue where you left off. Asus now needs to fix the issue quickly. Who knows, Microsoft may come up with an update for this.

powercfg /hibernate off

Jesseinsf wrote:
A possible temp fix would be to turn of Hibernation. This may or may not work. Right now it seems to be a RAM issue with the new BIOS. You will still be able to put your PC to sleep. Hibernation basically saves what's in RAM over to the hard drive and then turns off the PC so now, when you turn your PC on, you can continue where you left off. Asus now needs to fix the issue quickly. Who knows, Microsoft may come up with an update for this.

powercfg /hibernate off

Hibernate and fast startup have never been enabled and as this error started with bios version 1704 and now continues with1802 i can't see Asus fixing this anytime soon. It's not causing any operational problems apart from returning from the sleep error. Never the less it's an error that shouldn't be there.

Like you say, it's a memory error probably caused by some so called update in their bios starting with 1704, why more people are not effected I can't say, In the mean time 1602 works just fine so I'll stay with that and try the next bios version if and when Asus bother to put out a later bios.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

no1yak wrote:
Hibernate and fast startup have never been enabled and as this error started with bios version 1704 and now continues with1802 i can't see Asus fixing this anytime soon. It's not causing any operational problems apart from returning from the sleep error. Never the less it's an error that shouldn't be there.

Like you say, it's a memory error probably caused by some so called update in their bios starting with 1704, why more people are not effected I can't say, In the mean time 1602 works just fine so I'll stay with that and try the next bios version if and when Asus bother to put out a later bios.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Just to be clear. Hibernate is on by default with a fresh install of Windows 10. On first Windows install did you disable hibernate using the command line that I posted in my first message? If so, then I would understand your point.

Jesseinsf wrote:
Just to be clear. Hibernate is on by default with a fresh install of Windows 10. On first Windows install did you disable hibernate using the command line that I posted in my first message? If so, then I would understand your point.

Yes hibernate is off, cmd powercfg /h off. I have always used that command on all versions of Windows 10, as I have never needed it.

no1yak wrote:
Yes hibernate is off, cmd powercfg /h off. I have always used that command on all versions of Windows 10, as I have never needed it.

Did the 1903 BIOS fix your issue?

Jesseinsf wrote:

Did the 1903 BIOS fix your issue?