Here are my computer specs:

CPU: i9-9900KS
CPU Cooler: Asus ROG Ryujin360 AIO [ROG RYUJIN 360]
MB: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Extreme [ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME]
GPU: Asus ROG RTX 3090 [ROG-STRIX-RTX3090-O24G-GAMING]
PSU: Asus ROG Thor 1200W [ROG-THOR-1200P]
CASE: ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601 [ROG STRIX HELIOS GX601]
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB [F4-4266C17Q-32GTZR]

I just replaced my old 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz exceleram black kudos memory.

I am trying to tweak my new 4266MHz memory.

Running BIOS 1802 on the XI Extreme.

Extreme Tweak mode 1 will not work with either XMP I or XMP II.
Extreme Tweak mode 2 works with both.

On auto, the VCCSA and VCCIO are pushed to 1.40v. I set them manually to 1.25v (I also booted in Windows with just 1.17v both, but with RAM timings not tweaked)
Enabled MRC fast boot to disable the memory training. Was always changing the memory timings and sometimes the system would hang at different error codes (23, 55, etc).

Disabled virtualisation as it was impacting my AIDA64 Cache & Memory Benchmark.

Now running Extreme Tweak mode 2 on XMP II with manual timings, as shown in the ASRock Timing Configurator:

What is not completely seen in the picture above is RTL and IOL section from ASRock Timing Configurator:

RTL (CHA) D0: 63
RTL (CHA) D1: 64
RTL (CHB) D0: 65
RTL (CHB) D1: 65

IO-L (CHA) D0: 3
IO-L (CHA) D1: 3
IO-L (CHB) D0: 3
IO-L (CHB) D1: 3

IOL Offset (CH A): 25
IOL Offset (CH B): 25

RFR Delay (CH A): 14
RFR Delay (CH B): 14

tWRPRE: 46
Write_Early_ODT: 0
tAONPD: 10
tXP: 7
txpDLL: 25
tPRPDEN: 2
tRDPDEN: 22
tWRPDEN: 46
OREF_RI: 64
tREFIx9: 127
tXSDLL: 1024
tXS_offset: 3
tZQOPER: 512
tMOD: 24
ZQCS_period: 128
tZQCS: 128

Giving the following results:

I opened this thread because I am not sure if I need some help with tweaking the timings next? If yes, I would like to leave the primary timings stock and work with the secondary timings, tertiary timings, etc
Are my RTL and IOL out of the charts?

I ask this because all the values are taken from a screenshot from Silent Scone@ASUS (for which I thank you a lot!) that runs same kit on MAXIMUS XI FORMULA, with i9-9900K, picture attached bellow:

Also, what do you recommend to test stability? I had no BSODs or whatever, just issues with MB sometimes hanging with memory training activated.

Thank you again for all your help!
16 REPLIES 16

Enderwiggin03 wrote:
I set all of my RTL's to 60 (after RTL/IOL Training enabled) and IOLs are at 4.

Will try to redo this again next week, learning day by day 🙂

Again the code 23 on cold boot, restart, code 3a, restart, code 55 and finally posting was still happening

To fix it I had to set the vcore boot, vccsa boot and vccio boot voltages with a little higher than the initial voltages with 4266mhz ram.

Running stable now, no cold boot post errors, finally, XMP rated speed achieved on Maximus XI Extreme.

If anyone have any suggestions for the timings in my latest post, I am open to try and work on them, but I am happy with it as it is now 😄

bscool
Level 11
I would set Disabled MRC fast boot and Enable the memory training.

This a really in depth question/answer with all the settings involved. If you are really interested in getting the most out of your timings and figuring all the settings out it is very time consuming. Here are a couple thread I would suggest.

https://www.overclock.net/threads/official-intel-ddr4-24-7-memory-stability-thread.1569364/

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/threads/intel-ram-oc-thread-guides-und-tipps.1230518/

It is still happening sometimes at coold boot or when doing reboot from Windows 10, 1 out of 10 cases now with boot voltages.

I can live with that. Code 3A, 23 or 55, then 1-2 reboots and it is stable. Feels more like is a BIOS issue, since my i9-9900KS IMC can run the ram at 4266mhz with only 1.6v on vccsa and vccio... and everything is stable. Maybe bad memory trainings? I will also try to dowgrade the BIOS, running 1802 now. Hopefully soon the Maximus XI Extreme will have resizable BAR support and also those issues will be mitigated.

Kiganazil wrote:
It is still happening sometimes at coold boot or when doing reboot from Windows 10, 1 out of 10 cases now with boot voltages.

I can live with that. Code 3A, 23 or 55, then 1-2 reboots and it is stable. Feels more like is a BIOS issue, since my i9-9900KS IMC can run the ram at 4266mhz with only 1.6v on vccsa and vccio... and everything is stable. Maybe bad memory trainings? I will also try to dowgrade the BIOS, running 1802 now. Hopefully soon the Maximus XI Extreme will have resizable BAR support and also those issues will be mitigated.

1.6v VCCSA/VCCIO is extreme, good way to destroy the IMC.

Enderwiggin03 wrote:
1.6v VCCSA/VCCIO is extreme, good way to destroy the IMC.

Sorry, I wanted to say 1.26v

Kiganazil wrote:
Sorry, I wanted to say 1.26v

Plenty safe, enjoy.

Carlyle2020
Level 10
Oh dear, jupp that is high.

With only 16Gb i can run with 1.2 SA and 1.25 IO at 4400 CL16 with 1.5v.

65k read 65k write 60k copy

And since i have nothing else left to stab amd fanboys with: 35ns latency.

IF you have your background tasks under control you can find the sweet spots of SA and IO with cinebench R15 (20/23).
Use 3-5 runs and make an average.

And they certainly both have sweet spots !