cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus X Hero - USB Problems all over!

MonkY
Level 9
Hello everyone!

I have just upgraded from my good old trusty Asus Maximus VIII Hero (with a 6700K CPU) to a brand new Asus Maximux X Hero (with a 8700K CPU). It was probably the best motherboard i ever had. Although i used to have a ton (over 20) of USB devices connected to my old Hero VIII, everything worked flawlessly for years!

After the upgrade, almost nothing works when it comes to USB ports. Even my old beloved Dell Multimedia USB Keyboard... i can't even use it to enter BIOS!!! I can only use it after it boots up in Windows (it's like it doesn't get power untill a driver loads). I have tried a few keyboards, none of them were recognized at boot time, so i couldn't use DEL or F2...

I have managed to flash the latest 1003 BIOS for Maximus X Hero, hoping there is a fix for USB issues. But nope! I have also did a CMOS reset, unplugged all other USB devices. Still wasn't able to use my keyboard or my mouse (Logitech G502) in BIOS.

Also, even i only have one mouse and one keyboard connected, at boot time i can see something like this: "USB Controllers: 3 XHCIs / USB Devices: 2 Drives, 4 Keyboards, 3 Mice, 5 Hubs". 4 Keyboards and 3 Mice?!? What in the world? Where does that coming from? I don't even have so many keyboards and mices in my whole house...

Also, strange things happen to my two USB external HUB's (Anker AH241 USB 3.0 Aluminum 13-Port Hub and Icybox IB-AC6702 USB 3.0 Hub). After booting up and enter Windows, i have to reset both hub's, as some of my devices do not fully work. That never happened with my old Maximus VIII Hero.

I have tried all drivers (Intel Chipset drivers + USB 3.x drivers) from the official Asus page, and then tried the latest Intel official and un-official drivers. Also i have been using the latest ASMedia ASM2142 USB 3.1 xHCI Controller drivers.

I do not know what to do next. Initially i wanted to get a replacement for my Maximus X Hero motherboard, but as i have read in the forum, a lot of other people are experiencing USB problems.

Could this be fixed with a new BIOS? New drivers? Some firmware patch for the USB chipsets? Or is it a design flaw and i would better give up and return the motherboard?

Any advice would be apreciated. Thanks in advance!
My rig: i9-13900K, Asus ProArt Z790, 128GB DDR5 Hynix, Asus RTX 4070 Ti Gaming OC ROG Strix, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Corsair 1200W, Samsung 50QN90B, Dell U3023E, ASUS VG279Q, Asus ROG Rapture GT-BE98, Asus ROG Rapture GT-BE98, Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX1100, Asus RT-AX86U, Asus RT-AC86U
15 REPLIES 15

Well, i have solved the major part of the problems: i bought another keyboard. I got a Logitech G810, connected next to the Dell Multimedia keyboard, and this one worked. I was able to enter BIOS without issues. So, it is now very clear that Asus Maximus X Hero has compatibility issues with a lot of keyboards (i have tested 7 different keyboards, only with 2 of them i was able to enter BIOS).

The other problem, with my USB devices, is strange... and i am trying now to see if this is also a compatibility problem. I will check back in here after some testing, swapping, reinstalling... it is sad to see such a top motherboard acting worst than a cheap one, wasting my time with tests i shouldn't do (Asus engineers should do that instead)...
My rig: i9-13900K, Asus ProArt Z790, 128GB DDR5 Hynix, Asus RTX 4070 Ti Gaming OC ROG Strix, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Corsair 1200W, Samsung 50QN90B, Dell U3023E, ASUS VG279Q, Asus ROG Rapture GT-BE98, Asus ROG Rapture GT-BE98, Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX1100, Asus RT-AX86U, Asus RT-AC86U

MonkY wrote:
Well, i have solved the major part of the problems: i bought another keyboard. I got a Logitech G810, connected next to the Dell Multimedia keyboard, and this one worked. I was able to enter BIOS without issues. So, it is now very clear that Asus Maximus X Hero has compatibility issues with a lot of keyboards (i have tested 7 different keyboards, only with 2 of them i was able to enter BIOS).

The other problem, with my USB devices, is strange... and i am trying now to see if this is also a compatibility problem. I will check back in here after some testing, swapping, reinstalling... it is sad to see such a top motherboard acting worst than a cheap one, wasting my time with tests i shouldn't do (Asus engineers should do that instead)...

anyone still checking into this problem, i got the same problem my mice and keyboard aint loading at boot which make it so you cant enter bios.
the mice and keyboard just starts working at windows, i am using Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB Cherry MX Silent and Corsair Gaming Glaive RGB Mouse.
Also i just upgraded to new mobo/cpu and ram before all that everything worked fine so its not my keyboard or mice
Because i wont be buying a new keyboard/mice to make it work

Deepcuts
Level 10
MonkY, did you enable Fast Boot by any chance?

Hello All

Just came across this thread and other on the forum with regards to our non functioning USB ports on our STRIX-E MB....What the heck is happening to our MB ?!?

I've done exactly the same as other folks here on the forum have done to resolve this - hours spent - rebooted, updated drivers, bios upgrade, cmos battery, fresh install of windows, change settings in the BIOS settings, fast / normal boot, windows 10 regedits, etc, etc...all concludes with the fact that USB 2.0 and USB 3.1 are not simply functioning !

The only way I managed to get access to the bios and windows - is the one and only USB 3.1 Gen 2 port was still working and I had MS mouse-without-borders, installed on another PC so I could at least use a mouse to navigate...but thats not the point - I want all my USB ports to be working not just one !

The bottom line, something is very wrong with the bios code ...its can't be coincidence that other STRIX-E motherboards have experienced this issue - practically at the same time - one evening everything is good - the next morning - dead USB ports - and nothing changed !

ASUS Team we need some indepth diagnostic here...simply asking about what USB devices are plugged into our MB - isn't going to solve this issue...its much deep rooted than that....

I'm going to give it another 24 hours before I give in and get this replaced / refunded with 'another' MB...only had it for less than 2 weeks...

Help...

Deepcuts wrote:
MonkY, did you enable Fast Boot by any chance?

Only if it's enabled by default (even after CMOS reset), because at the moment, i have 2 keyboards... none of them get recognized in BIOS, therefore i can't Enable/Disable Fast Boot. Actually i can't change anything, sorry. It's getting frustrating, i know, specially for a something was supposed to be a high end motherboard. I haven't got these kind of issues with my cheapest ones... I hope Asus will come with an update on this.

P.S. The tech support asked me to check if i have CPU socket fins bent/damaged... even to check if the graphics card is properly inserted in the PCI-E slot. Really Asus? Since when a graphic card makes some keyboards not detectable in BIOS, but working in Windows?!?

Yeah this is ridiculous I previously had a 50 dollar biostar board that is still running just fine and it's 6 years old. Spent 200 on this strix-e and apparently the more expensive hero is having the same problems.