cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Maximus Hero cold boot

Leoplate25
Level 7
Hi, i have a Maximus Hero XI WiFi. When i have the PC unplugged and then i plug it and, obviouly, i do a cold boot it powers up, then shuts down and then powers up again. I read in some forums with no luck till today. Setting the XMP profile do that, but if i change the CPU VCCIO voltage and the CPU System Agent voltage it starts normally, even in cold boots. The question is: what values should i enter for these 2 voltages? Is 1.1v ok? They has really high values, near 1.250v. I'm using a 9600k and i'm not OCing it for the moment. Thanks!!!

This is my setup:

Intel i5-9600k at stock (not OCing for the moment)
ASUS Maximus Hero XI WiFi
Corsair Vengeance LED White 2x8gb 3000mhz (XMP enabled but VCCIO and SA too high)
Corsair H100i v2
EVGA GTX 1070 TI SC
BitFenix Whisper M 750w
If we can't live together, we are gonna die alone.
2,024 Views
17 REPLIES 17

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Leoplate25 wrote:
Hi, i have a Maximus Hero XI WiFi. When i have the PC unplugged and then i plug it and, obviouly, i do a cold boot it powers up, then shuts down and then powers up again. I read in some forums with no luck till today. Setting the XMP profile do that, but if i change the CPU VCCIO voltage and the CPU System Agent voltage it starts normally, even in cold boots. The question is: what values should i enter for these 2 voltages? Is 1.1v ok? They has really high values, near 1.250v. I'm using a 9600k and i'm not OCing it for the moment. Thanks!!!

This is my setup:

Intel i5-9600k at stock (not OCing for the moment)
ASUS Maximus Hero XI WiFi
Corsair Vengeance LED White 2x8gb 3000mhz (XMP enabled but VCCIO and SA too high)
Corsair H100i v2
EVGA GTX 1070 TI SC
BitFenix Whisper M 750w


This cold boot behavior is normal and relates to memory training as well as some other controllers requiring a power cycle.

VCCSA and VCCIO scale with memory frequency, some CPUs require more voltage here than others, so the scaling is to ensure the best possible chance of compatibility between CPU samples. XMP is an overclock due to increasing memory frequency beyond both Intel and JEDEC specification. If you wish to tune these voltages manually, the option is there to do so.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

leerock360
Level 7
Leoplate25 wrote:
Hi, i have a Maximus Hero XI WiFi. When i have the PC unplugged and then i plug it and, obviouly, i do a cold boot it powers up, then shuts down and then powers up again. I read in some forums with no luck till today. Setting the XMP profile do that, but if i change the CPU VCCIO voltage and the CPU System Agent voltage it starts normally, even in cold boots. The question is: what values should i enter for these 2 voltages? Is 1.1v ok? They has really high values, near 1.250v. I'm using a 9600k and i'm not OCing it for the moment. Thanks!!!

This is my setup:

Intel i5-9600k at stock (not OCing for the moment)
ASUS Maximus Hero XI WiFi
Corsair Vengeance LED White 2x8gb 3000mhz (XMP enabled but VCCIO and SA too high)
Corsair H100i v2
EVGA GTX 1070 TI SC
BitFenix Whisper M 750w


I have the maximus extreme and a 9900k. I left both voltages on auto and my pc would double boot *each time from cold boot. I lowered both values to 1.15v for vccio and the system agent voltage and now my pc no longer double boots from a cold boot. So happy. I have a normal pc again. When i left on auto both were on 1.42 volts *

leerock360 wrote:
I have the maximus extreme and a 9900k. I left both voltages on auto and my pc would double boot *each time from cold boot. I lowered both values to 1.15v for vccio and the system agent voltage and now my pc no longer double boots from a cold boot. So happy. I have a normal pc again. When i left on auto both were on 1.42 volts *


I posted the same as you are saying yesterday, and my post got deleted. I guess Asus does not like us touching our VCCIO voltage and telling other members how to stop the double boot issue. Very unprofessional of them.

I can confirm this. I have my RAM configured with XMP at 3200Mhz and I set both VCCIO and VCCSA to 1.1v in BIOS (v0903) .
The PC is not double or triple booting anymore when doing a cold boot and it seems stable.

Kelutrel wrote:
I can confirm this. I have my RAM configured with XMP at 3200Mhz and I set both VCCIO and VCCSA to 1.1v in BIOS (v0903) .
The PC is not double or triple booting anymore when doing a cold boot and it seems stable.


Well, we all everybody have a "normal" system now, haha! Run Memtest and Prime95 blend at least for an hour. I think anyway daily usage is the key.
If we can't live together, we are gonna die alone.

derektm wrote:
I posted the same as you are saying yesterday, and my post got deleted. I guess Asus does not like us touching our VCCIO voltage and telling other members how to stop the double boot issue. Very unprofessional of them.


Don't know why, but it solved the double or triple boot issue. They must release a BIOS with adecuated vccio and sa voltages. Some user told me the psu protected itself of the high voltages (maybe, maybe not). The thing is it worked, haha!
If we can't live together, we are gonna die alone.

Leoplate25 wrote:
Don't know why, but it solved the double or triple boot issue. They must release a BIOS with adecuated vccio and sa voltages. Some user told me the psu protected itself of the high voltages (maybe, maybe not). The thing is it worked, haha!



Are you referring to a typical cold boot (computer is shutdown and a power button is pressed), or the issue SS was talking about (power supply is toggled off and system loses all power and then boot afterward.) Adjust SA and IO will not cure what SS was referring to.


Side note. SA / IO discussions are all over the forums. Many threads. Not getting where people think Asus wants to "hide" that. Sounds a little tin foil hat wearing to me. Try this one out: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?108667-Z390-I-VCCIO-and-System-Agent-What-do-you-guys-set-...

mdzcpa wrote:
Are you referring to a typical cold boot (computer is shutdown and a power button is pressed), or the issue SS was talking about (power supply is toggled off and system loses all power and then boot afterward.) Adjust SA and IO will not cure what SS was referring to.


Side note. SA / IO discussions are all over the forums. Many threads. Not getting where people think Asus wants to "hide" that. Sounds a little tin foil hat wearing to me. Try this one out: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?108667-Z390-I-VCCIO-and-System-Agent-What-do-you-guys-set-...


At night, I unplug the cpu from the wall and the next day i plug it back in and it turns on, off and on again. I set vccio and sa voltages to 1.1v (my i5 is at stock settings) and the "issue" disappeared. I ran Prime95 Blend (lots of memory tested) and MemTest Free and have 0 issues, same with daily usage, games and browsing the web.

P.S.: I commented on the post you are referring to.
P.S. 2: What happens if i put 2666mhz memory? Will the memory automaticaly run at 2666mhz? The motherboard support 2133/2400/2666 without OC and the i5 support 2666 ram natively. Does the ram depends on the jedec? Crucial Ballistix Sport Gray/White/Red have 3 jedec's at 1333 and one xmp at 1333 too.
If we can't live together, we are gonna die alone.

Leoplate25 wrote:
At night, I unplug the cpu from the wall and the next day i plug it back in and it turns on, off and on again. I set vccio and sa voltages to 1.1v (my i5 is at stock settings) and the "issue" disappeared. I ran Prime95 Blend (lots of memory tested) and MemTest Free and have 0 issues, same with daily usage, games and browsing the web.

P.S.: I commented on the post you are referring to.
P.S. 2: What happens if i put 2666mhz memory? Will the memory automaticaly run at 2666mhz? The motherboard support 2133/2400/2666 without OC and the i5 support 2666 ram natively. Does the ram depends on the jedec? Crucial Ballistix Sport Gray/White/Red have 3 jedec's at 1333 and one xmp at 1333 too.


You should double check that setting your SA/IO voltages to 1.1v cured your double boot issue when power is lost to the motherboard. This would be the first report of this. Power loss require the M11 series of boards to cycle ONE time. If memory is not tuned, it may require a second boot cycle. So setting the right memory settings and SA/IO can reduce the number of boot cycles needed. I have never heard, however, that this will eliminate the reboot cycle completely.

Yes, if you set your ram to 2666, that is what it will run at. It overrides the XMP setting.

For example, I have 4200mhz. But I like an extra margin of stability so I set XMP, then adjust the timing to 4000mhz, and I also manually tune SA/IO to 1.215/1.1v respectively.